Your tips for dealing with insurance during major claims

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A 100-ft tree that appeared healthy just fell on our house during an ice storm (causing major damage - crushing large trusses and damaging through the attic into a couple of bedrooms, damaging some tongue and groove exterior cedar siding that is no longer available off the shelf). We'd been out of town but a friend noticed the day it happened and called us so we called insurance immediately. Tree had to be removed by a crane. It rained for a day or two into the attic before it got tarped. Not sure how much water ran down inside walls. Pooled water in window sill. Wood trim around one window is off kilter but no broken glass.

Learned about "Building Code Insurance" (which pays for bringing your older house up to any new codes during such insurance repairs) when an agent in the office called a few days later to offer this coverage to us.

Agent said, "It won't help you on this claim, but we noticed you don't have this add-on coverage. Would you like to add it?"

Interesting.

Anyway - please post any tips or experiences on dealing with adjusters and expediting repairs and getting something like this paid for fully, if that's possible (not including deductible, of course).

The adjuster already seems to be "educating" us that their reimbursement may not cover all the costs because it depends on how expensive the repair costs run in one's particular neighborhood....

TIA.

Last edited:
I had nearly an identical situation. Tulip poplars rot from the inside out....who knew? My former residence, and I'd made it a rental. Got the call from an old neighbor: "A tree is laying on your house". My insurance agent just said "do whatever you have to do to protect your property", so I hired someone and they put a tarp on it. But the insurance company didn't think that guy had capacity to get the tree cut up quickly, so they found someone else and the tree was gone, crane and everything, like yours.

In my case, the tree was the best thing that could have happened! I paid the deductible of $500 and got a whole new roof (rafter repairs of course, but all new shingles), floors sanded and refinished, professionally painted inside and out. It looked like a new house! And I got a bunch of money in my pocket for things that I decided not to replace/fix. More good news from my insurance company: since the renters moved out, they'd cover the rent until it was fixed!

It looked so nice, I decided to put it on the market and got a great price for it compared to what I would have if I had tried to spiff it up a little and sell it.

There was never a question of if something would be covered. It might have been that it was a good insurance company (Amica), and might have been the type of insurance that I bought (but I don't recall buying extra riders). They did say they'd take it back to the standard that it was and not make any improvements, even if the improvement wouldn't cost more. So I didn't ask for any changes, just get it back to the way it was. That was fine by me. But you can't get it back to "scratched-up floors" and "lightly stained wall paint" :) But I did use the "restoration company" that the insurance company suggested. They said I didn't have to, but if I did, things would go much smoother with respect to payments, and it did; I don't recall even knowing anything about prices of things...the payments were direct.

Last edited:
Let me just say that you need to keep notes on each and every contact you have with your insurance adjuster. Know exactly what they're telling you and be able to repeat it.

I recently had a burglar get into my house and into my safe. They cleaned us out of all my wife's jewelry (not on her) and a large amount of silver flatware. My daughter had a burglar hit her house (in my name) 30 months ago and stole an ATV and $5K worth of household items. Because of the second claim, I will be unable to obtain homeowner's insurance easily if the current company cancels me.

The worst part is that a claims investigator (not adjuster) has been put on the case, and he's treating us like it's a fraud case--which it is certainly not. They're hung for $2K max. coverage on silver and $5K on jewelry--and just a little more on a missing items. He treated my wife with great disrespect.

Tree damage is seen very often in comprehensive claims. If a tree is visibly dying or if the limbs are being shed, an insurance company can claim the owner was negligent in not taking down the sick tree and disallow the entire claim. And if a neighbor's sick tree hits you it's too bad.

If someone had a total loss due to a fire, I'd just say get you a good attorney or a public adjuster to handle the complete case. Insureds are just not always "In Good Hands" and your company is not your best friend. Be careful.

The tree looked healthy outwardly. But there was lots of rain for months, and then an ice storm. Who knows.

Now the adjuster is requiring that we get a bid from their preferred provider, who wants an engineer to look at trusses to say whether they can be repaired or must be replaced. Replacement is a much bigger job (pain) since they span the house. And they're hinting that replacement would mean we'd have to vacate the house during the replacement process. Ugh.

Sengsational - if only the tree had fallen on the master bath - there would be a silver lining :) But all we get is drywall, trusses, insulation, roofing, etc. :(

Bamaman - so irritating that the inspector is being a pain.

I would hire a good PA (public adjuster) who has a LT relationship with your broker!

I'm not at all familiar with how, what, why of hiring a public adjuster. How do I find one. What do they do?

spncity, it appears that your adjuster is willing to look into repairs beyond what you want. That is a good sign for you, take them up on it. If you have to vacate your house I'd be willing to bet you have Additional Living Expense Coverage that would reimburse you.

It sounds like they're willing to pay for things beyond what you may want. Trust their judgement. You sure don't need to pay a public adjuster to tell your insurance company that they're trying to do too much for you.

When this is done your house should be fixed and you're out nothing but your deductible.

If you have to vacate your house I'd be willing to bet you have Additional Living Expense Coverage that would reimburse you.

I believe this is true.

Wonder if they pay so much a month and then you decide how to spend it - or do they reimburse for expenses (within an allowable range)....

I believe this is true.

Wonder if they pay so much a month and then you decide how to spend it - or do they reimburse for expenses (within an allowable range)....

Most Homeowners Policies now include "12 months actual loss". It used to be 10% of whatever the house was insured for.

Work closely with your adjuster, it would be best to get their input and definitely their approval before renting a place. If its short term they may put you up in a motel (they may have a preferred one) Also, if you're out of your home this coverage includes other Additional Living Expenses that you incur since you're not in your home, this would be a portion of meals, storage facilities, increased mileage and moving costs.

Good luck to you, its going to be some work but it doesn't have to be stressful. Your adjuster wants this to go smoothly too.

Interesting.

The engineer is coming Thursday.

Maybe I should talk DH into remodeling the master bath at the same time.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom