You're ready to retire when:

You know you're close when you:

Stop reading and just delete the URGENT emails to complete your online performance review before the COB the day after you retire.

Take 2 months vacation before retiring and when you come in to check your emails the only ones your interested are from the HR people, the rest just get deleted without reading. Even the nastygrams telling you haven't completed your timecard for a month, which is in violation of company policy which could lead to disciplinary action. :D

Talk about an attitude problem. :cool:

tangomonster said:
When The Animal's song "We Gotta Get Out of This Place (if it's the last thing we ever do'" began alternating with my mental at-work soundtrack with The Animal's "It's My Life (and I'll Do As I Want)"....

Isn't it funny how your subconscious mind just goes ahead and sorts through your mental playlist until it finds just the right song to play over and over in your mind? I can't count the number of times that I found myself humming the tune to "We gotta get out of this place" at the office in the last few years before I left! :)

When you look forward to the end of the day so you can subtract one more from the 'xxx days to go' count.>:D

Know what you mean about the clothes. I've got some that before I would have thought 'its time to replace these'. Now it's 'why bother'.

You're ready when:

The market closes up enough to make you wonder how many days that will shave off your "X days to go until retirement" statistic.

You're really ready when:

The market closes up and you instinctively know how many days that will shave off your "X days to go until retirement" statistic.

2Cor521

. One rental had a leak start at the base of the toilet and thus needed a new wax seal. I went over after working my first job to change it and after pulling the toilet and removing the old seal I realized even with the odor it was a more pleasant experience than my j*b at Mega Cr*p..

Since one of my jobs was in a colonscopy unit I needed a lot more than smell to motivate me !

-When you only have one pair of work clothes and don't bother ironing it anymore.
-When everyone else refers to your superiors as "sir" and you say "Hey, man" and they don't yell at you.
-When you wait for everyone else to get over panicking over an imaginary emergency before you actually decide to get it fixed.
-When you laugh off any personal errands the boss wants you to do for him. Who needs brownie points?
-When you spend 2/3s of your time at work in your work shirt and underwear.
-When you can't remember the last time you got a haircut.
-Or shaved.
-Start wondering what toy you're going to buy with the UE money.
-You take vacation days regardless of anything important that needs to be done.
-You plan your vacations at times when important things need to be done.
-You're the last one to arrive and first one to leave.
-You don't care what anyone catches you watching on your work computer.
-You invite people to look at what you're watching on your computer.
-You can't understand why the new guys are so enthusiastic.
-You start planning the prank you're going to play the day you leave.
-Your cell phone stays off when you're asleep.
-You plan on violating policy and asking the cute girl out who always laughs and waves when you look at her.
-Rush becomes a reference to a band, not something you do.
-You don't feel the need to follow up with an explination when you say "no" to anything that'll keep you at work after hours.
-The time you take for lunch could include a 7-course meal.
-You take novels instead of magazines with you on trips to the bathroom.

When you telecommute and you spend more time surfing the internet than doing real work. (I have 37 days left in my current job, but who's counting?)

RetiredGypsy, this cannot be good. I'm laughing about your list as I'm getting ready for w*rk. So true. Ok, I'm ready to retire because getting ready for w*rk and commuting are my favorite times of the day.

And yeah, Dallas Guy, spending more time surfing the net than w*rking, I do that in the office and as RetiredGypsy says, I'm getting less secretive about it.

Self-employed, but when I got to the point that all the petty complaining from the customers or employees didn't make me want to "fix it" anymore, I knew I was THRU.

When you telecommute and you spend more time surfing the internet than doing real work. (I have 37 days left in my current job, but who's counting?)

Heck, I have to go to work to surf the web all day. My major accomplishment at work today was getting caught up to date on the ER forums.

Jim

Heck, I have to go to work to surf the web all day. My major accomplishment at work today was getting caught up to date on the ER forums.

Jim

Are we in danger of staying empl*yed so we don't have use our own time? Must remind self to beware of that trap. :p Repeat mantra, stay out of trap. :p Must get out, must get out.

When my trading income is 2x my salary I knew it's getting close. I am going out at 48 on feb/2011 or hopefully earlier.

I recall Johnny Carson asking an old Borscht Belt comedian when do you know when to retire? Answer: When you can't get work anymore.

I am out of work 4 months now. Maybe I am retired and don't know it.

Whew YOU JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!

FANTASTIC!!! Then I am ready to retire this mornig. After an unusually stressful week at w*rk, I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!

Oh, that's right - - I have to wait until November for eligibility for lifetime medical. Given the uncertainties of potential universal medical coverage down here in the U.S., I guess I am not QUITE ready to retire, financially speaking. But mentally speaking, I am so ready. Once I walk away, I am not looking back.

I have to wait until November for eligibility for lifetime medical. Given the uncertainties of potential universal medical coverage down here in the U.S., I guess I am not QUITE ready to retire, financially speaking. But mentally speaking, I am so ready. Once I walk away, I am not looking back.

That was what I waited for and it was worth the wait. At about this time last year, I started counting down the number of remaining Mondays until I retired (also in November). That helped me. Hang in there it, it is great on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom