Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am SO proud of you.
Rash? No way. Honest and self-confident is more like it.
What kind of place would even think a retention bonus and promotion, in the 11th hour no less,
would actually change the mind of a retiree-2b ?
Ooops, I w*rked for the same type of place myself. I can answer my own question.
LOL!! Then you know. It has actually worked for them in the past but it won't work with me. And thanks for the kind words, BTW.

Quote:
Heads up...If they haven't already, next step might be to try to get you back as a contractor.
I have indicated a distaste for that idea when it came up in casual conversation. But now that you mention it, maybe they will pursue it further as time passes. Thanks for the tipoff. (And in case anyone's wondering - - I have no intention of continuing to work as a contractor).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't really retire, I resigned into FIRE.
I knew I was ready to FIRE when
- my hands and upper body were aching 24/7 and headed straight for more injury and possible surgery. Nobody cared, and the w*rk kept getting piled on.
- I discovered the TSP-to-annuity conversion option, did the numbers for expenses and income, and saw it was completely possible.
Pre-FIRE, I did actually make an appt with the head honcho to see if he would transfer me to a less demanding position until I could do an early out, and he declined to grant that.
I politely told him he could expect my resignation within 6 months. The look on his face was priceless. I kept a poker face, but on the inside...
The resignation letter was in his email (and all other persons' email who had to be told) within 24 hours.
I chose April 1st as my FIRE date.
They probably thought I was bluffing or nutz. I was neither.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

I have indicated a distaste for that idea when it came up in casual conversation. But now that you mention it, maybe they will pursue it further as time passes. Thanks for the tipoff. (And in case anyone's wondering - - I have no intention of continuing to work as a contractor).
Nah. . . once you're away from that place and you're getting the retiree mail, you won't want to go back into the environment. It's the reason you decided to FIRE.

Consulting/contracting -- it's the same thing: you'll be asked to do what you didn't want to do when you were 'slaving to earn' the retiree benefits. Not worth the time away from what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Knowing that you don't need to work and are totally in control of your days makes such a difference in one's attitude. Now you really have time to appreciate each day -- or waste it and goof off if you choose to.

-- Rita
Old 05-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Don't knock consulting/contracting! It puts you at arms length from office politics, you develop a sense of independence and it pays a lot better!
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What kind of place would even think a retention bonus and promotion, in the 11th hour no less,
would actually change the mind of a retiree-2b ?
Ooops, I w*rked for the same type of place myself. I can answer my own question.
My place had a retention program with annual updates about the payouts due in 2007. Once the cheques were cut, there was an exodus. Surprise? I think not. The retirees had it all planned.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Wow, Cinnamon...10 posts in 20 minutes...that must be a record.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Wow, Cinnamon...10 posts in 20 minutes...that must be a record.
Back in the day we saw CFB put up 22 posts in less than 60 minutes - not one-liners, but multiple paragraph posts with detailed responses.

He blamed it on too much caffeine...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Back in the day we saw CFB put up 22 posts in less than 60 minutes - not one-liners, but multiple paragraph posts with detailed responses.

He blamed it on too much caffeine...
I think The Bunny was a caffeine source rather than a use.

Ha