Join Early Retirement Today

Youtube cover songs better than the original or just as good as...
Old 11-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Chicago Tour 2017 thread prompted me to start a new thread:

I have found myself (now that I ER’d) spending time watching and listening to bands on YouTube and even though most are marginal at best every once in a while I come across bands that perform a cover song that is good as or better than the original. Here are a couple of songs that are on my unofficial list:

Here is a Russian band doing Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4”:

https://youtu.be/9_torOTK5qc

Heart doing “Stairway to Heaven” I would never say any band could perform Stairway to Heaven better than LZ but.....damn this is good.

https://youtu.be/2u-PjvRyr0I

Morgan James cover of “Take me to Church” by Hozier

https://youtu.be/9C0xGB73Uuc

Edited to add song titles at RB’s suggestion . Thx
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These guys nail Pink Floyd. Perfect guitar tone:

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post

I have found myself (now that I ER’d) spending time watching and listening to bands on YouTube and even though most are marginal at best every once in a while I come across bands that perform a cover song that is good as or better than the original. Here are a couple of songs that are on my unofficial list:

Heart “Stairway to Heaven” I would never say any band could perform Stairway to Heaven better than LZ but.....damn this is good.

Could you edit your post to list the other 2 songs? I know youtube links aren't exactly blind, but it'd be nice to set a precedent for the thread so readers don't waste time loading songs they didn't care about the originals in the first place. Thanks.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two songs come to mind immediately.

Cat Power's cover of the Nina Simone original "Wild Is The Wind". Her voice is simply mesmerizing, and the song has a haunting beauty to it.

A Perfect Circle's cover of Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks". I love both versions, but A Perfect Circle's dreamlike cover is the one I listen to more often.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I thoroughly enjoy the Web Show “Live From Daryl’s House” ( Live From Daryl's House with Daryl Hall :: About | Live From Daryl's House ). Some of the best remakes I’ve run ever heard. I wish I was able to download the songs. Two of my favorites are:
Butch Walker

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8F08&FORM=VIRE

and Darius Rucker

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8F08&FORM=VIRE

Check out the full show episodes…..real nice.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

remarkable that these guys pull it off well.
Foreplay/Long Time (Jon's One Man Band Boston Cover)
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Here is a Russian band doing Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4”:

Heart doing “Stairway to Heaven” I would never say any band could perform Stairway to Heaven better than LZ but.....damn this is good.

Morgan James cover of “Take me to Church” by Hozier

Edited to add song titles at RB’s suggestion . Thx
Heart performed Stairway to Heaven live at a big awards ceremony for the remaining Led Zeppelin band members and they seemed to very much enjoy the performance. 2012 Kennedy Center.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
A Perfect Circle's cover of Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks". I love both versions, but A Perfect Circle's dreamlike cover is the one I listen to more often.
If it wasn't for your description I never would have guessed that was a take off on the Led Zeppelin song, it sounds nothing like it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
If it wasn't for your description I never would have guess that was a take off on the Led Zeppelin song, it sounds nothing like it.
Agreed - it sounded interesting, and I might get into it if I listened to it on it's own merits, but trying to compare to the original? It's barely recognizable as the same song, even looking for it. I thought it was a long intro, I was waiting for that signature "dah-dah-dah-da-dah" rhythm to start.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I’ll just agree with the OP, most covers aren’t as good as the originals, but a few are as his/her examples show.

Just my taste, I always thought:
  • Buffett and Everclear both had better performances/arrangements of Brown Eyed Girl than the original (Van Morrison).
  • Buffett’s Mexico was better than the original (James Taylor).
  • Jennifer Nettles Hello Again, also at Kennedy Center Honors ***, was better than the original (Neil Diamond). https://youtu.be/E1iRkoPXupY
OTOH I don’t know of any cover of a Beatles song that equals or betters an original?

Extra credit: Best performance of the Star Spangled Banner? My answer, no one has matched Whitney Houston’s Super Bowl Star Spangled Banner IMO, the hairs on my arms were standing on end, powerful and mesmerizing.

*** The tribute covers on Kennedy Center Honors are generally memorable every year IME!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Aerosmith's original is one of my very favorites, but Fisher's version of "Dream On" is really good too. I heard this on some TV show a few years ago about a group of friends that won a lottery jackpot.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #12

I think the cover of "The Sound of Silence" by Disturbed is much better than the Simon and Garfunkel original.

for comparison the Simon and Garfunkel original.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's all in individual opinions. I just love this version of "Think" by Siobhan Magnus. I adore her high pitched scream/squeal so much in this song!!! At 1:19, for example, but throughout. Nobody can beat Aretha, but gee.... if anyone could.....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Heart performed Stairway to Heaven live at a big awards ceremony for the remaining Led Zeppelin band members and they seemed to very much enjoy the performance. 2012 Kennedy Center.
+1

I'm a Zeppelin fan and have to admit - rather grudgingly - that Heart, and especially Ann Wilson can cover their songs equally if not better than the original.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
OTOH I don’t know of any cover of a Beatles song that equals or betters an original?
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From my Friends

Elton John - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Old 11-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
remarkable that these guys pull it off well.
Foreplay/Long Time (Jon's One Man Band Boston Cover)
Jon's one man band ensemble did a great cover of Foreplay. Maybe the most difficult part of covering Boston's music is the job of lead vocals and trying to match the range of Brad Delp. That dude could flat out wail.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to post links, but anything on YouTube by Mike Masse.

His cover of Toto's Africa is amazing, but his Boston, Bowie and other covers are all fantastic.

Hopefully someone can find him on YouTube and share some links.
turbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

They may be good, but not LZ and certainly not Jimmey Page.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo89 View Post
I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to post links, but anything on YouTube by Mike Masse.

His cover of Toto's Africa is amazing, but his Boston, Bowie and other covers are all fantastic.

Hopefully someone can find him on YouTube and share some links.

Good call on Mike Masse I like his version of Toto’s Africa also: https://youtu.be/MLrC7e3vSv8
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

An interesting post and topic. I've seen Heart cover Led Zeppelin live just a few rows from the stage. They do well with Battle of Evermore and other simple, acoustic songs.

I've also seen Led Zeppelin and Page and Plant live. They're at another level in my opinion. Nancy is no Jimmy Page, sorry.

And that cover of "When the Levee Breaks"? Wow, am I missing something or is that a troll. I'll concede that everyone has different tastes, but that's a difficult one to swallow.

As far as covers in general, I think it can work when the artist covering the song is better than the original. And it's even harder to cover classic song or classic band.

That said, one cover that comes to mind is Rod Stewart cover of Van Morrison "Have I told you lately that I love you". Even Van thanks Rod for making this a hit
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote