Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Zero % down mortgages - will they ever learn?
Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #1

Zero % down mortgages - will they ever learn?

For those who follow such things regularly this is probably not news.

But I had a bit of a flashback today when I saw a full page advertisement in the local paper for a zero percent down mortgage.

Oh, boy! No skin in the game! Your home equity is an untapped piggy bank! If the house value falls, walk away!

Stuff like this makes me wonder how the human race survives.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, it's not a "Zero % mortgage", it's "Zero down payment". Suggest you fix the title. I was trying to figure out how anyone could give a 0% mortgage unless the closing costs were very high.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #3

Oops. Done.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How is it an untapped piggy bank? If you put nothing down and have no equity what is there to tap?
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
How is it an untapped piggy bank? If you put nothing down and have no equity what is there to tap?
It's an untapped piggy bank that starts empty, but fills as long as the greater fool theory survives home prices keep rising.

From there, past history suggests the next step will be very generous home equity loans and HELOCs against the appreciated value, even though the owners may have paid only a grand or two down in principal.

So yes, on Day Zero there is nothing to tap. But our history suggests it could be another example of a cycle which is using home equity as an ATM. And a few years later, they still have little or no equity when it comes crashing down. And then they walk away, lather, rinse, repeat.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #6

A house without equity is a rental with debt.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's an untapped piggy bank that starts empty, but fills as long as the greater fool theory survives home prices keep rising.

From there, past history suggests the next step will be very generous home equity loans and HELOCs against the appreciated value, even though the owners may have paid only a grand or two down in principal.

So yes, on Day Zero there is nothing to tap. But our history suggests it could be another example of a cycle which is using home equity as an ATM. And a few years later, they still have little or no equity when it comes crashing down. And then they walk away, lather, rinse, repeat.
Actually: Past history suggests that the next step will be the new house owner can use the (overly inflated) house collateral to purchase another house. Once this is repeated once it can be repeated again to build a (card) house empire.
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #8

Well, not to worry. If the zero's are back, the interest only ARM (for 3-5 years) and the 40 year mortgages should be along promptly. These tools of a sound financial future should bode well - - - as they did just slightly over ten years ago.

We sold homes in 2004 and 2006. Neither buyer had a dime in the game. Both brought 2 checks to closing; one for 80% and one the the remaining 20%. Neither buyer survived the Great Recession as a "homeowner." Not sure of the 2004 buyer circumstances, but the 2006 guy was a walkaway.

Happy days are here again?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

The family that bought our old home in 2005 did so with a 100% loan. They still own it and according to Zillow, today it is worth 85% of what they paid. It is not the zero down mortgages that got us into trouble, it is the loose qualifications that were used to get them IMO. I don't know what the requirements are to qualify for today's zero down mortgages. Hopefully they are higher.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Non sense. Please tell me the difference between putting money down, $50k, and losing it when the market shifts and you must sell; and not putting anything down, and writing a $50k check to cover the loss when Selling.

Plenty of folks put $0 down and are financially responsible folks. And many folks, that is there only way to own a home.

Maybe I’m missing your point here or have misinterpreted this?
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
A house without equity is a rental with debt.
And just because you put money down doesn’t mean you will always have equity.

Delusional.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
Non sense. Please tell me the difference between putting money down, $50k, and losing it when the market shifts and you must sell; and not putting anything down, and writing a $50k check to cover the loss when Selling.

Plenty of folks put $0 down and are financially responsible folks. And many folks, that is there only way to own a home.

I agree. But I would offer that for every responsible person getting a 0% down loan, there are 10 others that shouldn't get a 0% down loan.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #13

Better yet, I remember when I was mortgage shopping 18 years ago (still in the home, mortgage free now), and JPM was pushing an interest only mortgage!

Their logic was quite simple:
1. Interest is deductible
2. Invest the difference
3. Housing always goes up

njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Surely you jest?

99.9% of people utilizing a 0% down strategy don't have 5k, much less 50k to cover any loss when they sell, or more likely, walk away from their underwater mortgage.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Surely you jest?

99.9% of people utilizing a 0% down strategy don't have 5k, much less 50k to cover any loss when they sell, or more likely, walk away from their underwater mortgage.
On the contrary, I can argue that 99.9% of people are approved and buy more house than they can afford; therefore, if housing values don’t appreciate, and they have to sell, does it really matter. Also, the 10% or 20% folks put down typically maxes what they have in cash anyway.

I’ve put 20% down and I’ve used 0% in 2 homes. If markets don’t appreciate, both courses lose out. Yeah, the guy that uses 0% either forecloses or loses out on maybe 6% for realtor fees, transaction costs, etc and the guy that puts down 20%, maybe gets back 10% after fees. Either way, you lose.

100% financing is a great option. I mean why would I put cash down on a car when I can get 100% financing for 5 years with a 0% rate.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
100% financing is a great option. I mean why would I put cash down on a car when I can get 100% financing for 5 years with a 0% rate.
Please provide a link to a 0% down 0% rate home mortgage. I need to refinance.

Sorry, but that is an apples and bananas comparison.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Please provide a link to a 0% down 0% rate home mortgage. I need to refinance.

Sorry, but that is an apples and bananas comparison.
It’s actually not that different.

What is it you guys are arguing though? That the 0% option is what is messing up the housing market because of folks defaulting? If that is your argument though, there is much more than just a 0% option that contributed to it.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I suspect anyone on this forum knows how to use a 0% down home mortgage responsibly. It's John Q Public, that is already in debt up to his eyeballs, that I don't want having access to that type of credit.
How long can you hold your breath underwater?
Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #19

How long can you hold your breath underwater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
We sold homes in 2004 and 2006. Neither buyer had a dime in the game. Both brought 2 checks to closing; one for 80% and one the the remaining 20%. Neither buyer survived the Great Recession as a "homeowner." Not sure of the 2004 buyer circumstances, but the 2006 guy was a walkaway.
I wonder how often people panic at being upside down on a mortgage and unilaterally decide to bolt?

We observe this behavior toward stocks all the time: buy high, then panic sell on the dip. Does it happen with houses too?

As long as they make the payments on time, I wouldn't expect the holder of their mortgage to care whether the home's value had dropped, but I might be wrong. Anybody have insight on this?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I wonder how often people panic at being upside down on a mortgage and unilaterally decide to bolt?

We observe this behavior toward stocks all the time: buy high, then panic sell on the dip. Does it happen with houses too?

As long as they make the payments on time, I wouldn't expect the holder of their mortgage to care whether the home's value had dropped, but I might be wrong. Anybody have insight on this?
Remembering an article in 2010/2011. When people where faced with only being able to make house / car / student loan / credit card payment: Car payments overwhelmingly got paid first. Thinking credit cards where second in line? That had never happened before and caught the mortgage industry completely by surprise. A huge number mortgages where NOT paid on time, probably something that the Industry calculated was statistically impossible!
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote