Join Early Retirement Today

Zsa Zsa
Old 12-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Zsa Zsa

Zsa Zsa Gabor. Dead at 99. What a gal!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She had been on life support for the previous five years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zsa_Zsa_Gabor
Ugh!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

According to the Wikipedia article cited above, she had been partially paralyzed since 2002 after an auto accident. Then, she survived several strokes and underwent multiple surgeries for different causes, including a leg amputation. The last five years were spent with feeding tubes.

It was not smooth sailing for her since the age of 85.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think dying sounds preferable to "living" such a nightmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
According to the Wikipedia article cited above, she had been partially paralyzed since 2002 after an auto accident. Then, she survived several strokes and underwent multiple surgeries for different causes, including a leg amputation. The last five years were spent with feeding tubes.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

A person must have a strong will to live to last that long under these conditions.

People like you and me will be gone long before it got so bad.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Makes you wonder why many of us here are so concerned with getting just the right amount of exercise and eating just the right diet. Terrible horrible things can still go wrong and no amount of whole grains or interval training will save you. Fantastic physical resilience will keep that beating and beating and beating. Keeping you prisoner in the ultimate house of horrors.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Makes you wonder why many of us here are so concerned with getting just the right amount of exercise and eating just the right diet. Terrible horrible things can still go wrong...
Things will go wrong at the end no matter what one does. Keeping healthy via diet and exercise serves to delay that end.

And when it finally comes, one's will to live will decide how much he/she can stick it out.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Keeping healthy via diet and exercise serves to delay that end.
You must have spent some time teaching 1st grade. All those things people do to "delay the end" only work when they work and there is no way of knowing if they will work on any one specimen's case. And in fact they might be the cause of death. It's like religion. That's how statistics work. Argue if you want. You can do anything you want. And anybody can grow up to be president.

Again, Merry Christmas
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, we seem to have rolled rather quickly off the topic of poor Zsa Zsa. What struck me about her life was not only it's very difficult last years, but her troubled relationships, especially with Conrad Hilton, the father of her only child. How sad.

As far as diet and exercise delaying our ends, that is not something i would ever claim. However, following a reasonable such regimen does make me feel more energetic in the moment.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

She was a great housekeeper, after every husband kept the house.

A charming fellow Hungarian, the original famous for being famous. Never met her, she traveled in a different league.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
She was a great housekeeper, after every husband kept the house.

A charming fellow Hungarian, the original famous for being famous. Never met her, she traveled in a different league.
I'm curious about the impression from a Hungarian. When I was in Budapest for a few weeks, I don't recall ever coming across any reference to the Gabor sisters. Did anyone in Hungary care?

The Magyars certainly adored Liszt (though I really appreciate Bartok), and there was the guy who developed the approach to antiseptic surgery at about the same time as Joseph Lister, Semmelweiss (with a street named after him, IIRC). And Harry Houdini, quite a few others.

Now I see that Eva (2 years younger) died in 1995, but her ending seems to have come quicker. Sounds like Eva had a tough road for many years. Sad.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
You must have spent some time teaching 1st grade. All those things people do to "delay the end" only work when they work and there is no way of knowing if they will work on any one specimen's case. And in fact they might be the cause of death. It's like religion. That's how statistics work. Argue if you want. You can do anything you want. And anybody can grow up to be president.

Again, Merry Christmas
Hmm... So, eating/drinking/smoking/being a sloth all one wants makes no difference to one's longevity? That would be nice.

If I take care of myself, I may live till 70. If I didn't, I might have croaked at 50. That's what I call "delaying the end".

So, all my restraints were for naught, and I could just have indulged? And my self-control effort could have even killed me? Interesting!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
As far as diet and exercise delaying our ends, that is not something i would ever claim. However, following a reasonable such regimen does make me feel more energetic in the moment.
Right - it's key for current quality of life. But it's not going to protect you against several sudden or serious health events. Crashes or other accidents, brain tumors, several cancers that healthy lifestyles don't prevent, genetics that cause certain diseases no matter how hard you work at being healthy. In general, being healthier can help quality of life as you age, but it doesn't prevent many diseases and doesn't prevent most accidents.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #14

Based on observation of very many friends and family over the years, genetics is a much bigger driver on longevity. Now quality of life is a totally different story, and in that is where the value of diet and exercise lays. A very big deal, to my mind, especially as we get older.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #15

beat me too it, and better said as well
Old 12-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We all know people who smoke and do not get lung cancer, and non-smokers who do get it. That's genetics.

But suppose your friend is diagnosed as pre-diabetic, do you suggest that he changes his diet to "delay the end", or just keeps on eating sweets like the luckier people who can get away with it? Is there anything he should do at all, or nothing matters anyhoo?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Of course is someone is diagnosed with a disease where their health can be improved by lifestyle changes, they would be wise to make those changes if they care about their health and quality of life.

But there are lots of diseases that are not lifestyle related, and accidents can impair health just as seriously as any disease.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But there are lots of diseases that are not lifestyle related, and accidents can impair health just as seriously as any disease.
It does not mean one should not do to minimize the risks where one can, trying to "delay the end". Accidents can kill anyone, but that does not mean a daredevil on a motorcycle does not have higher risks than you and I do.

Just because we can be wiped out by an asteroid or just get run over by a bus does not mean we don't bother to run FIRECalc, right?

I don't really know what people are saying here.

I never think that I will live to 100. Not even 80. But if I drink a bottle of booze a day, I am pretty sure that liver cirrhosis will get me before too long. Anyone disagrees with that?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It does not mean one should not do to minimize the risks where one can, trying to "delay the end".

Just because we can be wiped out by an asteroid or just get run over by a bus does not mean we don't bother to run FIRECalc, right?

I don't really know what people are saying here.
Where is this all or nothing coming from? I'm not saying that.

I think some of us are just pointing out that sometimes you just don't get a break, even if you are "good". So don't expect that all bad outcomes can be avoided. Sure - some can, but not all.

We're not saying don't bother staying healthy because you can't prevent bad outcomes 100%. We just pointing out that you can't prevent bad outcomes 100% by staying healthy.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We just pointing out that you can't prevent bad outcomes 100% by staying healthy.
No need to point that out. It's obvious that life is never fair!

Two people eat the same diet. One got high blood pressure, the other doesn't. The unlucky one has to do extra precaution to stay alive. That's all I was saying.