Join Early Retirement Today

ZTE Cell Watch and the future of cell phones
Old 09-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ZTE Cell Watch and the future of cell phones

Has anybody looked at this cell phone watch. At less than 1/2 the price of the Apple Watch it might be a good alternative.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3199...nd-simple.html

Big drawbacks are it only runs on T-Mobile's network (you have to have a T-mobile phone plan to link with it), runs on 3G not LTE, and it is big and bulky.

Pluses are the price, long battery life and apparently good performance as a phone and for doing things like streaming music.

OK, to many big negatives for me, but still, I have to think that Dick Tracy might be interested in it for work.

IMHO, I think we are moving in the direction of having all of today's phone tasks carried out on a watch or very small device no more than 1/4 the size of an iPhone 8. If one needs a bigger screen to work with, then it will wirelessly connect to one but that will be optional. No more need to have to stuff a bulky phone into your pocket or that little purse ladies carry for special outings.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I answer phone calls on my Apple Watch all the time as long as my iPhone is not too far away (on another floor of the house is fine). Works beautifully and I do get that "Dick Tracy" feeling every time it happens.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Be wary of those Chinese brands not spying on you.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #4

"OK Chief, I'll get on it right away!"
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
"OK Chief, I'll get on it right away!"
I just noticed it, Did someone break his nose?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Could be one of these guys -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...acy_characters
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Shazaam, He did battle with some very rogue characters
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Maybe he got punched in the face when he got to frisky with the Moon Maiden?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I find this watch fascinating because it does fall in a more reasonable price range. I think we can expect big changes in the cell watch business over the next few years. Today's $400+ Apple Watch will be less capable than a $200 cell watch in a few years. So, the idea of paying that much for the Apple Watch does not do much for me. Not that I am going to run out and buy the ZTE watch. Instead I will watch and wait... pun intended.