Zuckerberg

Pffff... what have we done to deserve that ??!! :LOL:

I agree with a poster on another forum I frequent. "If you aren't paying for the product, YOU are the product"

(edit: not a Bookface user)

I approach FB like freeware software. Thought no privacy and no guarantee was part of the deal. FB kind of reminds me of free Juno email back in the day when email was still a big thing. Free but agree to get bombarded with ads and cough up personal info.

How much have you paid so far to use this early-retirement.org product?

Speaking of this... a few months ago I installed adblockplus extension for Chrome since threads were loading slow and it fixed the problem... joeea's post prompted me to disable it to see if I still needed it and everything is running fine... so whatever the issue was it seems to have gone away.

Facbook could provide its services, ad-free, for 99 cents per month.

Currently they make more than that - about 4x more. Who wants to pay 4 USD a month for Facebook?

Most of us don't, so we pay with our attention & time instead, which is much dearer in my view.

When Fakebook was caught using algorithms (or AI) to to suppress certain POV's and promote others, I went from daily usage (mostly to keep up w/extended family) to perhaps weekly. Once the full data whoring surfaced, I logged off forever.

When Fakebook was caught using algorithms (or AI) to to suppress certain POV's and promote others, I went from daily usage (mostly to keep up w/extended family) to perhaps weekly. Once the full data whoring surfaced, I logged off forever.
I'm considering doing the same.

Anybody else us FBPurity? I only got an account because that's where events were being posted. But then it took on a life of it's own, kind of. I disallowed any applications that run on the platform and don't use the mobile app. But I still feel dirty when I think about it, lol. Maybe I'll declare FB bankruptcy, delete and untag as much as I can, delete my account and make a new alias account. Then like the pages with the events I want to hear about.

I never joined fecesbook and I never will. Just like budgets - :)

+1 it was both funny and stupid. What a moron.
If you are referring to Sen Durbin as the moron, I can't agree with you, at least on this one point. I found the question to be right on target. I found Zuckerberg's response, his stuttering, his pregnant pause, very telling in my mind. That being said, I do think these hearings are a witch hunt. Much to do about nothing.

I have no expectation of privacy on the internet, or anywhere for that matter. Simply walking down the street, between business and personal security cams, I'm videoed all the time. If "they" wanted, "they" can tell my comings and goings, what times and in what direction I'm travelling. Maybe my audio is being recorded too. There are even reports of hacks taking over the camera and microphone on my laptop. There is no privacy anymore.

I simply found it interesting that Zuckerberg doesn't want his info shared. Make of it what you will.

Ah, but now we find they are gathering data on everyone, not just users.

As if that was a surprise.

How much have you paid so far to use this early-retirement.org product?

I have a nice Tractor ad as I post this.

:dance: :dance: :LOL:

heh heh heh - I can only 'imagine' where that came from. :rolleyes: I can also create some interesting responses depending where I go theme wise on U Tube.
Kinda fun - in a big brother sort of way. :D

If you are referring to Sen Durbin as the moron, I can't agree with you, at least on this one point. I found the question to be right on target. I found Zuckerberg's response, his stuttering, his pregnant pause, very telling in my mind.

I simply found it interesting that Zuckerberg doesn't want his info shared. Make of it what you will.

It would have been far more interesting if Zuckerberg had actually shared his hotel and list of folks he had messaged. Then perhaps he could have dared the Senator to do the same.

Asking questions like that when you certainly already know the answer is just grandstanding.

And if Congress actually cared about privacy, they would enact European-style privacy laws rather than just ask foolish questions.

[grandstanding]Does anyone think the current Congress will actually enact such privacy legislation?[/grandstanding]

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Mark Zuckerberg is smarter than anybody else in that room. I'm reminded of the old saying "Don't pick a fight with someone meaner (or in this case smarter) than you."

Yawn. I'm something of an old hand on Congressional grillings, having helped prepare some of my agency's principals for theirs. A small %age of representatives ask good, well-informed questions, knowing they will get carefully predigested answers. The rest merely, as others noted, grandstand.

I was more interested in what Z. paid for his suit. Fits him like a glove, and doesn't wrinkle. It is probably the only one he owns.

As for FB ads...once I trained it to stop sending me age-based ads for enormous underwear (what IS it with the giant undies? Was I really supposed to inflate to twice my size on my 55th birthday?) and walk-in tubs, I actually started getting some interesting ads, and have even bought things.

It will be more interesting to see what regulations (if any) Congress comes up with to regulate FB. They will probably be weak.

I'm pretty sure Mark Zuckerberg is smarter than anybody else in that room.
I watched most of the 2 day inquisition and while I don't use FB and don't particular care for Zuckerburg, he was easily a lot smarter than anyone in the room. I think he showed incredible patience putting up with repetitive questions asked by a bunch of conceited and clueless elected officials. Can't these guys/gals think for themselves and at least recognize that their question(s) had already been asked and answered and come up with something new and relevant!

I could go on and tell you how I really feel, but I'll stop there for fear of waking porky.

Last edited:
If I were Mr. Z I'd counter with a couple questions of my own. "What are you doing about the National Debt ? What about Syria, What about North Korea, What about the Health Care Crises, What about taking care of our active military and veterans :confused:?

I'm not defending FB or Mr. Z, but doesn't the US congress have more important issues to deal with ? There must be some other regulatory body that can take FB and Mr. Z to the woodshed and get it over with and move on.

I'm not on FB, but don't you have to check a box that says you accept that they own and have access to all your posts and information ?

I have been a registered user since 2009. I downloaded the data they have collected on me. It is a 68GB zip file! The following are the lowlights:

There is a complete record of where you have logged in. So they could tell whether you spend a few months away from home. Why do they need that? Crooks could use it. Tell FB to stop already!

They have a record of every video sent to me or by me using messenger, even ones I did not open. WTF?

They know every friend request I have received or sent, even the ones I ignored, but they collected all that contact info including their mobile phone numbers.

Stephen Colbert had a clip of a rep addressing Mr. Zuckerman...so much for briefing notes!

I'm neither defending nor attacking anyone , but if we don't stay on topic and avoid that unrelated stuff, an appearance by Mr. P is likely.

Attachments

• Porky snout.jpg
    Porky snout.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 26
Oh dear - I apologize for mentioning Z's suit.:(

(Actually I am not sure what people said that's unrelated...perhaps mods deleted bad-gunky before I saw it? :confused:)

I'm neither defending nor attacking anyone , but if we don't stay on topic and avoid that unrelated stuff, an appearance by Mr. P is likely.

If I were Mr. Z I'd counter with a couple questions of my own. "What are you doing about the National Debt ? What about Syria, What about North Korea, What about the Health Care Crises, What about taking care of our active military and veterans :confused:?

I'm not defending FB or Mr. Z, but doesn't the US congress have more important issues to deal with ? There must be some other regulatory body that can take FB and Mr. Z to the woodshed and get it over with and move on.

I'm not on FB, but don't you have to check a box that says you accept that they own and have access to all your posts and information ?

+1. You see the irony too?

Mr. Z being grilled for not being proactive reminds me of when was a kid in the doctor's office who smoked while seeing his patients. The irony :LOL:.

I only watched a few snippets of the grilling on news. Though I have my reasons for being cautious with FB, my impression of Mr. Z is he's more than just a guy wearing a t-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom