Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I checked my score about 2 years ago and it was 829. Although I don't care that much about my credit score at this time in my life I don't want it to go too low. Even home owners and car insurance check your score and charge accordingly now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
That's a new twist to an old scam. They used to just hope you were late on one payment and they charged you back to payment #1 all the interest. Now they collect it up front, CUTE!
It's not really new. It sounds no different than all the people carrying large CC balances at 15% who subsidize those of us with 2% cash back cards who pay in full each month.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Several years ago, I also was offered a 0% loan by Toyota. I took it. I walked into the the dealership after lunch and an hour later drove out with a new car without giving them a penny. My first payment was not due for 6 weeks! They were true to their word. They took the final price, divided it by 36 and that was the monthly payment. No gags, no strings, nothing but a great deal.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

For the record, I rejected all of the dealer 'packs' which add to the price of the car. Also, at that time a one year T-Bill was about 4%. I figure the 0% loan allowed me to earn another $1200 in interest over the life of the loan. Could I have got a better deal elsewhere? Maybe, but I doubt if I would have save much more than $1200 and the time involved would have been substantially more than one hour.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I checked my score about 2 years ago and it was 829. Although I don't care that much about my credit score at this time in my life I don't want it to go too low. Even home owners and car insurance check your score and charge accordingly now.
Which is the opposite of what Dave Ramsey wants. He said his score is probably 0, since he has been a cash buyer for many years.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Which is the opposite of what Dave Ramsey wants. He said his score is probably 0, since he has been a cash buyer for many years.
I don't have as much money as Dave.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't have as much money as Dave.
I wonder if he is as rich as Clark Howard?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #88

I'll bet Clark has a higher credit score than Dave.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #89

Dave just built a new house worth about 5 million but I am guessing Clark is not in a shack either. I am a fan of both of these guys. I think they are doing a lot of great work for our country.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Don't know how he can do that since there is no such thing is a "0 credit score". the FICO scores go from 300 to 850.

Now, it is possible you could not have a credit score, but that would mean you never had a cell phone, cable bill, electric bill, mortgage, credit card, or any other kind of bill.

A credit score is made up of:
35% Payment history (This includes paying your phone bill)
30% Credit Utilization (Have you used credit)
15% how long have you used credit wisely
10% types of credit used
10% recent searches of credit score

Assuming you have had ever used any form of credit, you have a credit score.

I completely disagree with Dave Ramsey stating that a good credit score requires you to stay in debt. You can have an excellent credit score and not be in debt at all.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #91
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Don't know how he can do that since there is no such thing is a "0 credit score". the FICO scores go from 300 to 850.

Now, it is possible you could not have a credit score, but that would mean you never had a cell phone, cable bill, electric bill, mortgage, credit card, or any other kind of bill.

A credit score is made up of:
35% Payment history (This includes paying your phone bill)
30% Credit Utilization (Have you used credit)
15% how long have you used credit wisely
10% types of credit used
10% recent searches of credit score

Assuming you have had ever used any form of credit, you have a credit score.

I completely disagree with Dave Ramsey stating that a good credit score requires you to stay in debt. You can have an excellent credit score and not be in debt at all.
I think "0" is not intended to be taken literally. You can have a "no credit score". Paying bills alone is not enough to provide one with a high rating. There is absolutely no way to achieve a high credit score without having a documented history of borrowing and repaying money.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think "0" is not intended to be taken literally. You can have a "no credit score". Paying bills alone is not enough to provide one with a high rating. There is absolutely no way to achieve a high credit score without having a documented history of borrowing and repaying money.
Ok, but you only need a credit score if you want to borrow money... if you never want to borrow money a credit score does not matter. If you do need to borrow money and pay it pack you will have a high credit score.

A credit score is a gauge of how well you handle credit. If you never need credit, you don't need a score.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok, but you only need a credit score if you want to borrow money... if you never want to borrow money a credit score does not matter. If you do need to borrow money and pay it pack you will have a high credit score.

A credit score is a gauge of how well you handle credit. If you never need credit, you don't need a score.
Not entirely accurate.

Credit scores are also used by the insurance industry:
Quote:
Some insurance companies also use credit report information, along with other factors, to help predict your likelihood of filing an insurance claim and the amount of the claim. They may consider these factors when they decide whether to grant you insurance and the amount of the premium they charge. The credit scores insurance companies use sometimes are called “insurance scores” or “credit-based insurance scores.”
Credit or Insurance? Your Credit Score Helps Determine What You’ll Pay
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #94
Administrator

Quote:
From earlier in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That would be good if credit scores were only used for going into debt these days. If you ever want to rent a home, if you purchase auto insurance, if you want a j*b that requires a background check (including credit history), all of these can be negatively impacted by a "zero" credit score.

It sucks and I don't like that credit scores are used for more than obtaining credit, but it is what it is and striving for a "zero" credit score may not be such a good idea.
Quote:
The credit score is really a prediction of the likelihood that a borrower will default on a payment. As for needing the rating, see above.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr

It has already been stated that credit scores ARE used by employers.

Even if employees were like Dave Ramsey (zero credit rating), they'd get one after getting hired on to my Megacorp's business unit. It was Megacorp's rating that enabled them to obtain a corporate credit card but the liability was then on the employees. Failure to pay on time can cause them to lose their cards and their jobs since travel using a business credit card was mandatory.

I hired hundreds of people when I worked at Megacorp and never referred to credit scores in my decisions. However, employees who didn't pay their corporate CCs on time tended to be high maintenance, the worse performers, and/or had the most issues which interfered with business. Managers are notified when they miss payments and after while, we had to address it up the line. Therefore, I fully understand why credit cards are used for hiring decisions these days.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

I have heard that some employers also check applicants' credit scores to make sure they don't hire somebody who may be vulnerable to selling company secrets for a quick buck.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #97

exactly who is usaa and how do you find them. I live in iowa and have never heard of a car buying service. You can go into a car dealership and talk all you want but you can't beat a professional at his own business.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
exactly who is usaa and how do you find them.
USAA.com

To become a member you need to have served in the military. You may also be eligible if one of your parents served.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union also offers the same car buying service. Anyone may become a member.

penfed.org
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #99

I did misspeak a bit... Yes, your credit score is used for other things than just borrowing money.... But, If you never borrow money and pay all your bills on time your credit score should be high enough that it will not negatively effect you when you get insurance or a job or anything like that.

At last check I have a credit score over 800. I do have a mortgage and a credit card, But, it has been over 10 years since I carried a balance on any credit card, or had any type of a loan (car, installment, store...)

I would be very interested in hearing of a situation where someone did not get a job or had to pay for higher insurance because of a low credit score, where the low score was only due to lack of credit history.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did misspeak a bit... Yes, your credit score is used for other things than just borrowing money.... But, If you never borrow money and pay all your bills on time your credit score should be high enough that it will not negatively effect you when you get insurance or a job or anything like that.

At last check I have a credit score over 800. I do have a mortgage and a credit card, But, it has been over 10 years since I carried a balance on any credit card, or had any type of a loan (car, installment, store...)

I would be very interested in hearing of a situation where someone did not get a job or had to pay for higher insurance because of a low credit score, where the low score was only due to lack of credit history.

You also might be assuming that you need to 'carry a balance' on a credit card for it to be considered credit.... this is false.. when you use a CC you are borrowing money right then... you might pay it back when you get the bill and not pay any interest, but you DID borrow money...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote