Join Early Retirement Today

1.8% SWR for 2010 Retiree ... YIKES!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1.8% SWR for 2010 Retiree ... YIKES!

Goes on the say 7% might be ok for others.

Your retirement: Is the 4% rule viable?- MSN Money

So whats your rate 2010 retirees?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

The variance of opinion is related to how much risk one wants to take on. Though a century of data tells us to expect about a 7% annual return on a 50/50 stock/bond allocation, as we know from Firecalc returns during certain 30-year periods have been substantially lower. No way to know exactly what return will happen for the next 30 years. The "standard" 4% SWR is more risk than I want to incur, so I plan for 2.5%.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, this was discussed in another thread here a few months ago New article: 4 Percent Withdrawal Rate May Be Too High for Today's Retirees. That thread also provides a link to the Wade Pfau paper where the 1.8% figure originated recently.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

This Pfau character is just another scare mongerer out there. Take your 4% and relax. You may even find 20 years from now you have more money than you started with
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

I tend to use 3% because I always err on the side of being a little too conservative in my planning, but the apocalyptic "4% is way too high these days" reminds me a little bit of 'The Death of Equities"....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The last time I checked the market was closing in on its all time high. This is hardly the apocalypse that will doom current retirees.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Take your 4% and relax. You may even find 20 years from now you have more money than you started with
So does this mean that because I'm withdrawing a smidge over 2.5% that I can kick back and be very relaxed?

Shucks, I should have picked up some Henry Weinhard's on the way home to relax me some more.......
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The variance of opinion is related to how much risk one wants to take on. Though a century of data tells us to expect about a 7% annual return on a 50/50 stock/bond allocation, as we know from Firecalc returns during certain 30-year periods have been substantially lower. No way to know exactly what return will happen for the next 30 years. The "standard" 4% SWR is more risk than I want to incur, so I plan for 2.5%.
You are missing the point, it is not the returns over 30 years that matter as much as the sequence of returns. Poor returns in the early years are what lead to "bad" FIREcalc "paths".
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #9

ER'ing at 55 I set a target of 3% SWR.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This Pfau character is just another scare mongerer out there. Take your 4% and relax. You may even find 20 years from now you have more money than you started with
Not at all true Dr Pfau is a brilliant researcher and well respected over on the Bogleheads forum which tends to be a little more cerebral than this board.

He himself cites numerous reasons why the 1.8% prediction may be faulty in his paper. Still it is food for thought as we never have started from a period of such low fixed income returns. He does point out in the paper that his model is fragile as he had to extrapolate.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

1.8% SWR? Yikes is the right word!

Let's see. If our ER has $1M, how does she live on $18K/year? I have been following the blog of a Canadian couple who lives on that, but as full-time RV'ers down in Mexico, and they are really frugal, and of course they do not have to pay for medical insurance.

If our ER has $2M, it is a bit more manageable with $36K/year, but man oh man, it would be tough even if she already owns a home. Health care is the real problem here.

Bleak, bleak, bleak... That cannot be right... That better not be right...
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
So does this mean that because I'm withdrawing a smidge over 2.5% that I can kick back and be very relaxed?

Shucks, I should have picked up some Henry Weinhard's on the way home to relax me some more.......
Keep drinking, Major, I'll draw out my 4% and the 1.5% you left on the table.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Goes on the say 7% might be ok for others.

Your retirement: Is the 4% rule viable?- MSN Money

So whats your rate 2010 retirees?
I retired in November, 2009, so I am almost (but not quite) a 2010 retiree. I am spending 2.1%, although the SWR that I decided on in my plan was higher.

I regard that SWR as an upper limit. I would spend more if there was anything else that I wanted or needed. I am not wealthy, but I am a person of habit and not accustomed to spending more. I can't think of anything else that I want.

If I needed to, I could pull back to 1.8% pretty easily and still enjoy my life. If we have another serious recession soon, I probably would do that! But given recent market strength, I don't see that happening.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As Chemist pointed out, I think Wade Pfau is one of the good guys.

He's pointed out that 1.8% may be more historically and internationally accurate, but he's not trying to tell today's ERs that they have to keep working. Instead he's studying different withdrawal plans (mainly variable), annuities with guaranteed lifetime benefits, and other research that builds on the 4% foundation.

He presented a study a while back that suggests some SWRs may be higher than 4%, especially if you backstop your portfolio with an annuity-- even if it's just Social Security:
Is the 4% withdrawal rate really safe? | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

The reason I brought that up on a military blog is because it's the same situation that many military retirees are in.

Take a look at Wade's blog:
Pensions, Retirement Planning, and Economics Blog: Harvesting Gains from a TIPS ladder

"Scaremonger"? That'd be MSN Money...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #15

I am very conservative with my investments so my plan is to use 3%-3.5%. A 4% withdrawal rate stops at 90 years of age, whereas a 3.5% WR takes me all the way to 95 years....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I tend to use 3% because I always err on the side of being a little too conservative in my planning, but the apocalyptic "4% is way too high these days" reminds me a little bit of 'The Death of Equities"....
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Our plan comes to a 2.6% WR which provides more than we actually spent while we were both working over the last three years while DW & I were both still working. That's the plan, though just beginning the journey, we'll see...

I also respect Wade Pfau. I don't remember reading anything on fpanet that wasn't credible.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
gone traveling

Two articles with different conclusions, and neither apply to those that retire before normal retirement age; that is the age when pensions (if any), SS, or any other annuitized life income starts. I would think that a lot of folks on this forum either are wor*ing toward that goal, or have already achieved it and happily retired (like me ).

For example, using the Fidelity RIP forecast program (which shows a forecast WR year by year) shows a WR of slightly more than twice over the "magic 4%" for 2013 (RIP does not compute for the current, partial year).

However, it also shows a WR of 2% starting in January 2018 (less than six years from today), after all expected income sources are "on-line" in our situation.

Would we delay retirement because on day one of retirement we were going to exceed any standard? Of course not. It's not only "day one", but your entire retirement forecast on day one that has to be considered.

And if things don't work out as forecast? No different than the many years we spent getting here. We just tack into the wind, set the sails and go in a slightly different direction. As long as we are able to get to our destination - that's all that counts.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
1.8% SWR? Yikes is the right word!

Let's see. If our ER has $1M, how does she live on $18K/year? I have been following the blog of a Canadian couple who lives on that, but as full-time RV'ers down in Mexico, and they are really frugal, and of course they do not have to pay for medical insurance.

If our ER has $2M, it is a bit more manageable with $36K/year, but man oh man, it would be tough even if she already owns a home. Health care is the real problem here.

Bleak, bleak, bleak... That cannot be right... That better not be right...
This is not far from my situation. My annual expenses are around $20k, excluding excess income taxes from non-recurring cap gains distributions not necessary to cover my expenses. My total portfolio is $1.1M (see my "Approaching a Milestone" thread) although that includes an IRA I do not yet have unfettered access to, so all of my withdrawals are from the rest of my investments (about 2/3 of that total).

This is for one person, not a couple, and I have health insurance.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I plan on a somewhat variable withdrawal rate myself. Higher in the first few years, maybe even 5% and, after SS starts, down to about 3% maybe even 2.5% if I don't suffer unusual expenses. Keep in mind I do live below my means and I don't need a new car in the driveway every few years, 5 star hotels, and $20 bottles of wine with my pizza.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Keep in mind I do live below my means and I don't need a new car in the driveway every few years, 5 star hotels, and $20 bottles of wine with my pizza.
It really dosen't matter what's your lifestyle. As long as the rate of withdrawl is low enough (regardless of %) vs. your portfolio value, you can "live large" or "live cheap", whatever you desire.