Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

1% = NW 8.3M, inc 380K

Measuring the Top 1% by Wealth, Not Income - NYTimes.com

didn't make it.

but then, neither did my friends.

Anyone for the top 10%?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
but then, neither did my friends.
But maybe they are already there and are not telling anyone!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Darn - came up short again.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy reading/not experiencing the other end of the stick.

Especially when someone posts the Four Yorkshiremen - which has been done periodically on this forum over the years.

Heh heh heh - Even though time in ER has helped - I sometimes get all warm and smarmy when I remember what a cheap SOB I once was. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

What's eye opening are some of the comments from the readers (frequently the best part of any article)....many of them have a very different point of view than most investing and retirement forums. Check this out:

Any dollar held imposes a burden on society, each and every year. We go to war, in part, to protect the dollar.
---------
Over the past 3 or 4 decades, these policies have reduced the greatest middle-class society in the history of mankind into a bankrupt has-been and global laughing stock.

--------
When some reap what they didn't sow, others -- individuals and the community as a whole -- cannot reap what they did sow.

Do you not see a problem with this?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Nope, don't make that 1%. I suspect there are only a few here abouts. Probably quite a few 5%ers.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

So why are "the rich" being defined as individuals making over $200K??
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nope, not me. The number seems high. Grab a random 100 people. Do you think you'll find one with eight million? I don't think so.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Digging into Table 4 in the PDF, it says that (for 2007) the median and mean net worth of the top 10% were $1.89M and $3.98M respectively. For you statisticians does that imply that the 95th percentile were worth $1.89M?
bob boag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One in 100 households has 8M or more? Is it too high? I don't think so. Would the Fed lie?

I guess if I round up all the people around my block here, I bet not one belongs to that top 1%. But if we go to places like Beverly Hills, then the only people who are not on the list would be the chauffeurs and maids of the mansion owners there, whose houses alone may be worth more than $8M.

There was a thread similar to this a couple of months ago. One poster provided a link to a very interesting map showing how the top 1% of each state had or made. Even the top 1% in the less wealthy states have significantly more than the average person in the US.

About inferring the top 5% number from the median and mean net worths, I don't know how one can do that without assuming a certain distribution. I do not know what it looks like. Has anyone seen a graph?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is from a survey. What is the likely accuracy of that survey?

I know a few of the top 1% in income. Most of them don't have 8M in assets.

Something seems wrong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One in 100 households has 8M or more? Is it too high? I don't think so. Would the Fed lie?
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Administrator

I know many people who are in the top 1% by income. I really wouldn't know with certainty if any of them are in the top 1% by wealth, but I suspect a few are.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Could it be that your 1% hide their money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post

Or more likely, these are the young 1-percenter and are still accumulating? They are not thinking about ER, are they? How about the older 1% in income? They would have more in assets than the young 1% earners.

But you are right that it is just a survey. Doggone it, I thought the gummint already tracked down everyone's asset and knew exactly where those Kruggerands were hidden. Uncle Sam is not as potent as I thought.

So, you think people in the survey exaggerated their net worth?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I know many people who are in the top 1% by income. I really wouldn't know with certainty if any of them are in the top 1% by wealth, but I suspect a few are.
Same here.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

OK, here's my gut feeling as to why the $8M threshold of the 1% in assets would not be unreasonable.

We have talked about what the top 1% earners make. I would think that that number would be more reliable. Would the IRS not know all that?

If I compare that 1% income to what I made, and knowing my net worth now, I would say if I had that kind of income, I should be able to amass the $8M, if I did not goof off and ER'ed.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post

I know there are a couple methods of estimating net worth of the top 1% of households (as opposed to income which is easier because of tax returns). From what I skimmed, the IRS estimate is only about $1.5M whereas the fed reserve survey yields $9M.

See

How Much Money Does It Take To Be In The Top 1% of Wealth and Net Worth in the United States

I haven't gone through the math / original papers so I can't really form an opinion about which is more accurate (less biased) but just based off gut feel the $1.5M sounds more realistic.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

If I compare that 1% income to what I made, and knowing my net worth now, I would say if I had that kind of income, I should be able to amass the $8M, if I did not goof off and ER'ed.
Problem is, few people can maintain that level of income over an entire career. For many, you become a one percenter one year because you exercise some stock options, receive a big bonus, realize a one time capital gain, or maybe just sell your business. Next year it's back to being a 99 percenter.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking of surgeons, lawyers, business owners, big shots at megacorps, etc... I would hope their income to be more steady. No?

Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I am sure a few, select people can pull it off.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #20

Quote:
I was thinking of surgeons, lawyers, business owners, big shots at megacorps, etc... I would hope their income to be more steady. No?
The CEO of the company for which I work made $28 million last year. Steady income is not necessary to reach $8M.