Join Early Retirement Today

10 Speed Scott~ Has he gone too far?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
10 Speed Scott~ Has he gone too far?

http://assetbuilder.com/

Quote:
OK. You’re tired of the original Couch Potato portfolio. (It is possible to have too much of a good thing, even sloth.)

And now you’ve expanded to the Margarita portfolio. Do you dare build a portfolio more complicated than mixing a three-part drink?

You can do it easily if you use the building block approach. Rather than using a complicated recipe for different investments, all in different amounts, you can build a portfolio out of equal-sized blocks. And it can have 4, 5, or 6 pieces.

How about more? Like up to 10?

Well, it’s more than possible. One of the nice things about the number 10 is that it makes for easy division. Just subtract a decimal place from your total portfolio and that’s what you need to invest in each of your building blocks.

Scott's gone nuts! I bought into his basic Couch Potato portfolio several years ago and even up to Five Fold, but now he's gone up to 10 Speed! What will he have to add in order to get to the Twisted Twenty portfolio?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 10 Speed Scott~ Has he gone too far?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to know more about his asset class data for things like TIPS and the means by which he calculates Standard Deviation... a 3.84% SD for the 50/50 portfolio

5.69% SD for the 1/3 USTM - 1/3 TI - 1/3 TIPS portfolio?

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Scott's getting old and is resisting being put out to pasture!

Let's take up a collection and buy that boy a kayak.

I know the disease - having a hormonal 15% in individual stocks.

heh heh heh heh - not to rationalize or anything but if you stay diversified, rebalance and keep expenses low - what's a little addiction(performance chasing) among friends. I would of course know the Norwegian widow(current yield) quotient of such a portfolio at all times - to prove I wasn't hooked.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Scott's getting old and is resisting being put out to pasture!

Yep and another yep.

Don't forget, he has to keep coming up with something new to write about every week, and what's easier than making up a catchy name for dividing your pie into more and smaller pieces? Scott's almost as lazy as I am!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just read the last chapter of "The Coming Generational Storm" of which he wrote. You can get at the local library. Most of the book tells us how we will all be screwed & our government is terrible at facing problems so just move to the last chapter if you don't want to read it. Basically, it will tell you why he feels one should include the additional blocks.

Pretty much has to do with additional plays for a weak dollar & inflation hedges. He also recommends only putting the match in your 401k & going after the taxable accounts b/c he thinks those will be a bad deal in the future when taxes surge. There, I saved you a lot of time
Old 02-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
Not a bad plan! In fact, he could strap it to his RV (I seem to recall that he is a RVer). That said, I still look forward to his columns twice a week (Sun/Mon) in our local fish wrap. I think that he must be enjoying his semi-retirement and F**king with all of the folks that have read his column for a long time.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Pretty much has to do with additional plays for a weak dollar & inflation hedges.
Ben (a Swede? currently in Thailand?) used to post an 'extreme slice and dice portfolio' ala ten ten % slices over at Raddr's forum. heh heh heh - roughly yielding 3%(a little Norwegian widow talk).

His selections got my admiration for the ex-pat case - to mitigate currency fluctuation/inflation concerns.

heh heh heh - of course greater Kansas City is as provincial American as one can get. Still - should I ever venture overseas for an extended period?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - we need and intervention from the forum. It's time for the man to retire!

I guess he needs some "lessons".

Audrey
Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
heh heh heh - of course greater Kansas City is as provincial American as one can get. Still - should I ever venture overseas for an extended period?
You may be ready for Bangkok, Unclemick, but how are you going to know if Bangkok's ready for you?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote