100 checks for $35

I think that checks are "virtually" free ... meaning that that they might not be litterally free, but it should seem so -- if you seldom use them, and they are very low cost. I checked (no pun intended -- well inferred pun is OK) and the last time we bought checks was October 2005.

We write a very few checks per year. We are using E-bill-pay for most payments (Electronic Bill Pay) for most payments that are not drafted from our accounts. So why not go with that? It is secure, and your payees get payed to your specifications. Yep -- do the drafts only with trusted payees.

Banks hose people on checks because most people think they have to get from bank.

I get mine from Costco.

Here you go easysufer for next time:

Scroll Checks - Promise Checks

I used this link and ordered more checks.

The good news, for the price of the check, it was 4 boxes (that's 600 single checks -- this should last me a long time!) for $17.82.

The bad news, shipping. It costed $18.96 for trackable shipping (8-10 business days). (I could have went for the non-trackable shipping for about $11).

Still cheaper than getting them from the bank. :blush:

I'd have to check (so to speak) but I believe that 600 checks would last me for the rest of my life.

We wrote three checks last month (unusually high due to some old fashioned RV Park people). At that rate, 600 would last about 17 years... I could live that long.

I used this link and ordered more checks.

The good news, for the price of the check, it was 4 boxes (that's 600 single checks -- this should last me a long time!) for $17.82.

The bad news, shipping. It costed $18.96 for trackable shipping (8-10 business days). (I could have went for the non-trackable shipping for about $11).

Still cheaper than getting them from the bank. :blush:
I spent 27 years in the check printing business.

Buying them direct and bypassing the bank is much cheaper as they often mark them up 500% to 1000%, sometimes more (no, that isn't a typo).

You did get gouged a bit on delivery however as the cost to the shipper was probably well under $10, but delivery mark-up is about the only opportunity these dying businesses have left to make a profit.

Oh, and that tracking thing is an unnecessary scare-tactic expense - in my opinion of course. :)

I haven't paid a dime for checks in over a decade, I think.

Free checks used to be the norm, now I think it is the exception. I had a WaMu "Free Checks for Life" account, but WaMu died. Chase tried to charge me when I went to order checks on their web site so I went in to a branch and they honored the original WaMu deal. My new BOA account gave me 3 checks when I opened the account and would have charged me right out of the gate if I wanted a full box of checks.

But I rarely use checks anymore, so my new free book of Chase checks will probably last the rest of my life, just like WaMu intended.

Been banking @ USAA for 25 years and have never bought checks. They always provide them free. I still have some that indicate the date as 19__!

I did not know that banks still charged folks for the blank checks that are seldom used (...what with online bill-pay and all).

I always learn something on this site. Thanks.

Just got new checks from USAA, free, $6 for 'tracked' shipping. 200 checks. That will last us for about 30 years, give or take a year or so.

Just got new checks from USAA, free, $6 for 'tracked' shipping. 200 checks. That will last us for about 30 years, give or take a year or so.
My old employer thanks you for the extra $5 you donated to their bottom line by selecting the 'tracked' shipping option. Unless you have a known problem with mail theft, save your money.

Hey, I've heard of these "check" things. They're printed on "paper," right?

Yeah, those paper things called "checks" are for the folks who go, "eh...a computer, what's that?"

Yeah, those paper things called "checks" are for the folks who go, "eh...a computer, what's that?"

Heck, back before epay, I used to print checks with my computer. :LOL:

Heck, back before epay, I used to print checks with my computer. :LOL:
Back in the early 80's a small-town banker called me up to ask if I would help him figure out why the checks from one of the businesses that had an account with him would never process. He brought me a stack of checks saying his processor wouldn't read them and he was tired of having his folks hand-key them.

They'd been printed by a local shop and were very nicely done - except for the failure to realize the "funny numbers" on the bottom line had to be printed using a magnetic ink. :nonono:

There was a crook who printed deposit forms like the ones for general use in the bank. Although customers could write in their account number, the magnetic account numbers printed at the bottom belonged to the crook. He placed them in the bank, and everyone who deposited money was unwittingly depositing it into the his account.

I don't know how long he got away with it.

There was a crook who printed deposit forms like the ones for general use in the bank. Although customers could write in their account number, the magnetic account numbers printed at the bottom belonged to the crook. He placed them in the bank, and everyone who deposited money was unwittingly depositing it into the his account.

I don't know how long he got away with it.

Never heard of that one before. That's a good one. I suppose not too difficult to detect and track down, though.

Back
Top Bottom