100 checks for $35

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just reordered checks for my checking account through my bank. It came out to $35 for 100 checks. Ouch :(

Nothing magical or special about them. Just basic checks.

I think the expense was because of the reording through my bank's website. The price of convenience.

35 cents a check - wow! My credit union and brokerage accounts provide free checks. Back when I did pay for them, I never paid over $10 for 200 checks. Looks like your bank has figured out another way to make $$.

It costs me $13 for the same amount at my CU.

I just wondered if they were triple carbon computer business checks or something--didn't mean to be too flip :) . That sounds pretty expensive to me.

I just reordered checks for my checking account through my bank. It came out to $35 for 100 checks. Ouch :(
My checks were free. I had to order the freebie ones, and that took a little searching on the bank website to figure it out. They are basic, but good enough!

Audrey

I just wondered if they were triple carbon computer business checks or something--didn't mean to be too flip :) . That sounds pretty expensive to me.

Bestwife,

I didn't take your statement to be flip at all. :)

I got the bare minimum (no duplicate, no extra designs or anything). I'll have to bookmark the checksinthemail that you mentioned for next time.

At $35 for 100 checks, now the parking ticket I got a few weeks ago for $30 doesn't seem so much after all :LOL:

Easysurfer

easysurfer, if you ordered checks through your bank you paid the huge markup many banks tack on check orders if you don't have one of their "free checks" accounts. I spent 27 years in the check printing business as a supplier to banks and credit unions (Checks In The Mail was our direct-to-consumer subsidiary). It was common to see a bank mark up the price 5-600%, but it looks like your bank mark up was closer to 1,000%. Ouch!

I have a totally free checking account (no minimum balance), so I guess as they say, no such thing as a free lunch.

It's checksinthemail for me the next time I need to redorder.:blush:

Call, ask directly for branch manager and complain. Maybe they will give you an "after the fact" price break if you mention a competitor's name. >:D
Nothing ventured...la la laaaaaaa ;)

Checks from my bank are $26 for 300. I don't understand the huge difference except that we don't seem to have any large national chain banks around here. My bank is still operating under their territorial charter from before 1889. They have no branches and fewer than 10 employees. It may be North Dakota banking laws, which I have heard are rather strict, that keeps the big banks out. North Dakota even has a state owned bank.

Call, ask directly for branch manager and complain. Maybe they will give you an "after the fact" price break if you mention a competitor's name. >:D
Nothing ventured...la la laaaaaaa ;)

Hmmm..never thought about that. Good idea >:D

But I'll probably just pay the markup this time since I was full aware of the price when I clicked on the submit button. Chalk that up to a lesson learned to be in a bit of a rush to buy.

Makes me think..at what cost does one wish to pay for convienence for goods and services. Such as overnight shipping. Or marked up bottled water at events.

That's gouging unless these are gold plated checks or something like that.

I have three checking accounts -- one with my CU, one with USAA and a third linked to my Schwab account. I haven't paid a dime for checks in over a decade, I think.

I think the expense was because of the reording through my bank's website. The price of convenience.
That would be pretty silly if this is the case. Ordering them online is generally the cheapest way to conduct a transaction, with the lowest overhead costs for the vendor. Why do you think all the lowest brokerage commissions are specifically for online trades?

I never pay for checks. If a bank I am interested in does not have free checks, I ACH to and from them; or just get cash at the counter... There are plenty of banks / CUs with free checks.

I never pay for checks. If a bank I am interested in does not have free checks, I ACH to and from them; or just get cash at the counter... There are plenty of banks / CUs with free checks.

I agree. I bank with USAA and they furnish free checks and deposit tix, but I seldom write out a check as I am almost exclusively a ACH man.

BTW, my stash of checks is so old that the date section has 19__!:blush:

easysurfer, if you ordered checks through your bank you paid the huge markup many banks tack on check orders if you don't have one of their "free checks" accounts. I spent 27 years in the check printing business as a supplier to banks and credit unions (Checks In The Mail was our direct-to-consumer subsidiary). It was common to see a bank mark up the price 5-600%, but it looks like your bank mark up was closer to 1,000%. Ouch!
Now we find out! It's all your fault! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Audrey

I doubt that. I ordered my free checks via the web. But it did take me quite a while to find the free ones for my account.

Audrey

That would be pretty silly if this is the case. Ordering them online is generally the cheapest way to conduct a transaction, with the lowest overhead costs for the vendor. Why do you think all the lowest brokerage commissions are specifically for online trades?
Zig, it might be silly but it is a clear strategy to make money off a dying product and nudge people toward online banking. What better way to "encourage" you to use electronic banking than to gouge you on check pricing?

I buy my checks from Current or, most recently, Direct Inc.. I get 200 checks for just under $10 and they last me about 4-5 years, so the $2 a year is a trivial expense.

Back
Top Bottom