Join Early Retirement Today

100% Cola - for a fee
Old 10-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

100% Cola - for a fee

Greetings! I am retiring at end of November and am looking at my pension options. My plan offers COLA at 1 point less than CPI-W, i.e. if CPI-W is 3%, COLA is 2%. There is an option for 100% COLA, for a reduction in monthly payout, natch. Kicker is, I'm retiring at age 58, and neither the regulat COLA nor the 100% COLA would start until age 62. Kick #2 is that I would have to start the reduction in payout NOW for the 100% COLA to be in effect at age 62. I ran numbers, and it seems like the 100% COLA option would start to truly payoff (meaning break-even for reductions ages 58 - 61) at around age 70, in about 12 years. My gut is to say it's not worth it, but I'm interested in what others think / have experienced. Once the break even point is reached, that one percent sure can make a diff, but I'll be miffed by the reduction in my pension for those first 12 years.

Thanks!
(Sweet December, here I come!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Administrator

Do you need this extra money now? If you can't get by without it there's not really much to discuss. What happens if you live 'til you're 95? How much will you real income decline by then? At 1% per year that's 1/3. Will you be able to line on 1/3 less at that age?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Basically, you would be buying an insurance policy. You are insuring your income against a long life span. What is that worth to you? Could you do better by taking all the pension $$'s you can and investing the difference?

It might be worth paying a CPA for an hour of his/her time and have them calculate some options for you. Given the amount of money you are talking about, one hour's fee is not that much.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
My gut is to say it's not worth it,...
You're not giving us actual figures, so this is just gut-to-gut, but my gut agrees with yours. After healthcare, the biggest worry some of us have about financing retirement is a large amount of inflation in the future. But you're protected against very large inflation rates already with your 1%-less-than-CPI COLA, so I doubt that 1% a year would be worth all that much to you.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You didn't mention whether the cola pension was from public or private world. The reason I'm asking is if it's public usually the first thing they do is nibble at your pension by eliminating or reducing the cola part of pension. Many states have either done this or are attempting to. Usually they do not reduce the actual pension. My cola pension this year was reduced from CPI to 2%. So this year I went from a 3.5% to 2%. I just saying the rules of the game can change, and as of right now in today's climate concerning pensions the 2 things they are doing are reducing colas, and reducing pensions for new hires. A higher upfront pension in the hand might be better than an extra 1% cola in the bush!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Your starting point should be.... what level of inflation adjusted income will you (and your spouse) need?

Identify your spending needs!

Then identify the resources you have available and how to meet your income needs for the rest of your life.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If inflation was running 5%+, a 1% reduction wouldn't amount to much. At the 3% or less it has averaged the last couple of decades, a 1% reduction is 1/3 or more of your annual adjustment.

Guess it depends on if you think the inflation rate will increase significantly in future years.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think it is even close financially speaking since you are already 58 your expected life far exceeds the break even point for taking the COLA. I would take the reduced payout if it is as I expect in the 5-6 percent reduction range.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Details
Old 10-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Details

Quote:
I don't think it is even close financially speaking since you are already 58 your expected life far exceeds the break even point for taking the COLA. I would take the reduced payout if it is as I expect in the 5-6 percent reduction range.
The reduction in the monthly pension payment to have 100% COLA vs CPI-W minus 1% is about $150/month, approx a 3% reduction. Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it? Of course, it's only worth it if I live long past 70 and if CPI-W is at 3% or more for 12+ years. Crystal ball, anyone?