Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 100% success at 7% initial withdrawal rate
Old 03-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The point is that we're all running across the highway with bags on our heads. We have absolutely no idea whats going to happen.

Some of us have two bags, just in case the first one slips.

Some are so scared of the bus that they never cross the road. Imagine your whole life standing in the breakdown lane, listening for the screams of those hit by the bus. With two bags on your head.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CFB-
Great analogy.

I don't want to stop in the middle of the road, but I don't want to spend my life dancing around on the side of the road, either, missing out.

But does your metaphor mean we are going to spend 50 or 60 years crossing the road? In that case now I am getting worried!

I think we all want to get safely to the other side as quickly as possible. Is that possible? Or is the other side of the road kinda like the other side of the River Styx... sort of a terminal condition?

Hey, anybody you know building tunnels?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

It's a great joke-- why did the ER wannabe cross the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Hey, anybody you know building* tunnels?
It's hard enough doing this topside without worrying about collapsing mineshafts...

I met an electrical engineer with a master's degree at Home Depot last week. He could have been fibbing, but he works in Home Depot's electrical-supplies department and he knows he could get called on it. As long as Home Depot is hiring people like him, I don't care how many paper bags are on my head-- I'm crossin' that road.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
The point is that we're all running across the highway with bags on our heads.* We have absolutely no idea whats going to happen.
CNFB,

I see what you mean now, and I agree.* But this analogy should not be limited to the "Early Retirement decision".* This analogy applies to life, from birth to death.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
When I was 19 years old, I decided to escape from Vietnam by boat. My estimate chance of success is around 50%.
Thanks for the perspective! Life is risky, and you have to enjoy it while you're here.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #26

You're welcome, ash.* *It was not something I wanted to do, but given the choices, I had to take the lesser evil.

Sam
Old 03-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I see what you mean now, and I agree. But this analogy should not be limited to the "Early Retirement decision". This analogy applies to life, from birth to death.
EXACTLY.

I *think* that was point in another thread where I mentioned that people working and sitting on the ER fence discount their existing risks of continued working. They're already slow boiled frogs in the pot they're in. For someone with a major commute, I wonder what the risk of accident from the daily commute is vs the chances of running out of money using a 60/40 balanced fund and a 4% withdrawal...

A bus can hit you no matter what. Whether you're ER'ed, still working, have bulletproof cheap healthcare, 10 million bucks set aside...

Ya got a plan for the bus? Putting on a second bag or standing in the breakdown lane just isnt going to cut it. The bus might veer over into the breakdown lane and get you anyhow.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Today's cheery thought:

"You fall out of your mother's womb, you crawl across open country under fire, and drop into your grave."

Quentin Crisp

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Today's cheery thought:

"You fall out of your mother's womb, you crawl across open country under fire, and drop into your grave."

Quentin Crisp
Sometimes life is a crawl and sometimes not...

http://tinyurl.com/onkwy
Old 03-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I was 19 years old, I decided to escape from Vietnam by boat. My estimate chance of success is around 50%. I'm somewhat spoiled now after 28 years in the US, but I think I can live with 90%+ chance success Cheesy
Guys, I think Sam meant a 50% chance of not dying in the attempt. You want risk, this is risk!

Sam, take 6% if you want. You've already won the lottery, IMHO. Glad you could make it.

Best of luck,

Gypsy
Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
You've already won the lottery, IMHO.*
I did.* Thanks Ed.