Join Early Retirement Today

100K Milestone finally! It's been tough. New to this forum
Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

100K Milestone finally! It's been tough. New to this forum

Hello. I am a 41 year old family man, happily married and father of 3 girls, one of which is a HS Senior this year....can't believe it.

Over the last year I have focused more effort on getting some savings and expenses under control and in raising a family it doesn't come without the challenges. I now have no credit card or student loan debt and that in itself has been the big success as it allows me now to save more and have less financial stress.

I am so excited to have finally hit over $100K in retirement and it gives me even more ambition to push harder to invest more savings.

I hope to gain some additional ideas, reinforcement and encouragement from this forum and resources here to help keep me on track.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! The 1st 100k is definitely a milestone and when I got there, I certainly had a good feeling! Also, a big congratulations for having no credit card debt. I didn't get to that point until I was 50, but once I did achieve that status, you can believe I've made every effort to stay there! Pay attention here and you're sure to get some great ideas and advice. Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #3

Welcome aboard, CamasSaver. Sounds like you're doing great. Congrats on no credit card or student loan debt!

omni
Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Re: 100k Milestone

Yes it feels good. Congrats to you.

Hit a little milestone myself - unless we have another 2008 meltdown I am on track to retire in about 6 years at age 60... woohoo!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Isn't it fun to hit 6 digits?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations, Camas!

Wow-- and you did this with three kids at home, one a HS senior! With no cc debt or student loans, you will probably hit a stride where saving will be a little easier. Plus, you are setting a great example for your kids, as they face the challenges of financing their own adulthoods.

Sounds like it's time to celebrate, in an LBYM fashion, of course!

(Brownies out of a box, or homemade pizza, are my personal favorites....)

Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

That is about the same age I hit $100k with similar circumstances. Congratulations!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on your excellent progress toward FI! It takes time, but it's one of life's very worthy goals (essential IMO).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and welcome. To put things in perspective for you, you are ahead of where I was at your age. I currently just passed 400K in retirment savings and I passed the 100K mark a little over four years ago. Staying out of debt and consistant investing will help you achieve your goals faster. Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #10

There were, I think, 12 years between when we hit the 100k point and when we hit the 1M mark. Keep up the good work. The first 100k is the hardest.

-gauss
Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

Congratulaitons

I can identify with your most significant accomplishment......living with 3 ladies in the house! Your other accomplishments are also noteworthy. Having no or little debt just means the 100k is the first of many milestones.....keep up the great work.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasSaver View Post
Hello. I am a 41 year old family man, happily married and father of 3 girls, one of which is a HS Senior this year....can't believe it.

Over the last year I have focused more effort on getting some savings and expenses under control and in raising a family it doesn't come without the challenges. I now have no credit card or student loan debt and that in itself has been the big success as it allows me now to save more and have less financial stress.

I am so excited to have finally hit over $100K in retirement and it gives me even more ambition to push harder to invest more savings.

I hope to gain some additional ideas, reinforcement and encouragement from this forum and resources here to help keep me on track.
Congratulations! Big step in the right direction.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just hit $100K in our TSP fund. It feels good to see it there. We do have more money in Roth IRAs, but for some reason seeing the TSP made it more real. Congrats to you!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats OP.. No CC debt is bigger milestone than 100K. If you've car loan or mortgage, try to pay that off and be completely debt free. Plan and focus on accumulating 1M by the time you decide to retire. 401K/IRA/Roth IRA and leftover to 529 plans are what I would suggest.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello and thank you for the comments and encouragement. I am finding myself even more excited to see just how much I can sock away in 2014 as I really want to get that 100k to grow. Within my 401K I have diversified my portfolio decently yet still taking a moderate amount of risk which at my age I feel is appropriate. I just started my Roth IRA with Scottrade this year and will max it out and diversify it as well with a few low cost funds and these are what I am using currently and they are performing well so far.

INPIX PROFUNDS INTERNET ULTRASECTOR\INV
PCKDX PIMCO SMALL CAP STOCKSPLUS AR FD D
PSTDX PIMCO STKSPLUS ABSLTE RTN FD CL D
PIXDX PIMCO FUNDAMENTAL INDEXPLUS AR FD D
VGT VANGUARD INFO TECH ETF
PETDX PIMCO REAL EST REAL RET STR CL D
Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on hitting $100,000. We hit that at 37 years old. Took forever it seemed to get there. Now 16 years later, our interest/dividends collected are more than my husbands 6 digit salary. Slow and steady! I retired at 50 and am loving it. My husband continues to work at 55, not because he has to but he wants to. Keep up the good work.

Tags
100k milestone