Join Early Retirement Today

1099 from Vanguard
Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

1099 from Vanguard

I have had in my possession my 1099R, B, and DIV from Vanquard for two weeks now. What are the chances for corrected 1099's coming out now. These seem to be pretty straight forward info compared to the other 1099's they distribute. I'm just being anxious because I have everything in and am ready to go.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I have had in my possession my 1099R, B, and DIV from Vanquard for two weeks now. What are the chances for corrected 1099's coming out now. These seem to be pretty straight forward info compared to the other 1099's they distribute. I'm just being anxious because I have everything in and am ready to go.
I am assuming you only have mutual funds with Vanguard: the 1099 INTS, Divs, and Bs for their brokerage accounts are due in mid feb.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I am assuming you only have mutual funds with Vanguard: the 1099 INTS, Divs, and Bs for their brokerage accounts are due in mid feb.
Actually they were due in mid Jan. I have had them for two weeks.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
I would go ahead, then. If they are corrected, you can always amend your return. I haven't had any problems with this in recent years that I can recall.

I just went ahead and e-filed my federal and state tax returns tonight. So, if I am wrong then so what - - I'll just get TurboTax to create an amended return for me, which I can then print out and mail in. IIRC TurboTax gladly creates amended returns; it doesn't e-file them though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Actually they were due in mid Jan. I have had them for two weeks.
The Vanguard site says for the Vanguard Brokerage accounts (not mutual funds) the forms are due mid to late feb, and I have not seen mine at the web site.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would look at the website and see if they have all of your info down...

Me... not.... I sold the REIT fund for a gain, but it is not on any form... I bet they are waiting on the REITs before they finalize it...
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would look at the website and see if they have all of your info down...

Me... not.... I sold the REIT fund for a gain, but it is not on any form... I bet they are waiting on the REITs before they finalize it...
the web site says mid to late feb for Reit 1099 div and 1099b its mid to late feb: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...lable-12032012
Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
the web site says mid to late feb for Reit 1099 div and 1099b its mid to late feb: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...lable-12032012
+1. Definitely wait if you have the REIT fund--final 1099 is often
different from first reports
Nwsteve
Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
IIRC TurboTax gladly creates amended returns; it doesn't e-file them though.
I don't think the IRS accepts any e-filed amended returns. It is a 10-week paper process -- at least that's what it ran last year. This year probably longer due to staff reductions.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I don't think the IRS accepts any e-filed amended returns. It is a 10-week paper process -- at least that's what it ran last year. This year probably longer due to staff reductions.
Right, it's not a big deal. Or at least, hasn't been for me in the past.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #11

Fido chat told me yesterday that I'd see the rest of my 1099s by 2/18. So what are they doing for a month and a half? Not that I'm in any big hurry (I think I'll owe), but I was motivated to do my taxes (something strange came over me), and I realized I couldn't continue when I got to the 1099 input, so had to quit (didn't need much of an excuse )
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
So what are they doing for a month and a half?
The way I look at it, they're saving me from the hassle of getting an amended 1099 later and having to file an amended return.