1099 question

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I rolled over a TIRA to an IRA at Vanguard last year and I did not receive any forms from Fidelity for this. I was thinking I might get a 1099-R but perhaps not?

It looks like Fidelity processed it as a transfer.

Any ideas if I need to report this? I have my suspicions I should have because I received 1099-Rs for 2 other regular 401k retirement accounts but I understand this wouldn’t be comparing apples to apples.

Confused - you rolled over "at Vanguard" why would you receive forms from Fidelity?

If you meant you moved an IRA from Fidelity to Vanguard, then yes you should have received a 1099 from Fidelity with a rollover code.

I rolled over a TIRA to an IRA at Vanguard last year and I did not receive any forms from Fidelity for this. I was thinking I might get a 1099-R but perhaps not?

It looks like Fidelity processed it as a transfer.

Any ideas if I need to report this? I have my suspicions I should have because I received 1099-Rs for 2 other regular 401k retirement accounts but I understand this wouldn’t be comparing apples to apples.

Moved TIRA from Fidelity to VG. I guess it was considered a transfer and not a rollover but either way when large sums of money get moved it's my understanding the IRS needs to know about it...especially if its dealing with retirement money.

I will hit google. Thanks.

You might give Fidelity a call. Some 1099s are running late, a transfer would seem easy but you never know.

If you simply move an IRA from one custodian to another without taking possession of the funds you will not get an 1099. It is not a rollover.

If you simply move an IRA from one custodian to another without taking possession of the funds you will not get an 1099. It is not a rollover.

I got one from Fidelity when I rolled over to Vanguard. However, that was a 457 to a IRA so perhaps that was the difference that made Fidelity send a 1099R.

You should get a 1099R with a code G, meaning not taxable.

from instructions for 1099R: (doesn't sound like it would be used for IRA-IRA)

Use Code G for a direct rollover from a qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan or a
governmental section 457(b) plan to an eligible retirement plan (another qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan, a governmental section 457(b) plan, or an IRA).

See Direct Rollovers, earlier. Also use Code G for a direct payment from an IRA to an accepting employer plan, and for IRRs that are direct rollovers.

Back
Top Bottom