Join Early Retirement Today

1099's - Mutual Fund Short Term Capital Gains
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1099's - Mutual Fund Short Term Capital Gains

Looking at our end-of-year data, several of our MF's had short-term CG distributions.

But looking at the 1099's on these same MF's, "Capital Gains Distributions" are listed as a single line item.

Since LTG and STG are taxed very differently, how is our CPA (who just gets the 1099's) expected to know which is which?

Thanks, Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Short-term cap gain distributions are reported as ordinary dividends and will be included as part of box 1a on the 1099 form.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My faint recollection is that short-term capital gain distributions are combined with income dividends in boxes 1a and box 1b... qualified dividends... would exclude short-term capital gain distributions... so short-term capital gain distributions effectively end up in non-qualified dividends and are taxed at ordinary tax rates and box 2a is only long-term capital gain distributions.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, I think I understand now. STG and "non-qualified divs" are treated the same for tax purposes, so no need to break them out on the 1099.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You got it.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

One question: Do the MF companies also include the "interest-like" dividends, such as from money market mutual funds, in the "total dividends" box? So STG's and MoneyMarket divs are all mixed up in there?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Just to clarify: I'm trying to use an on-line tax calculator, which asks for STG's, LTGs, taxable interest, dividends, and qualified dividends. I did an initial calculation at year's end, and now am trying to use my 1099's. Hence the confusion grrrr.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
One question: Do the MF companies also include the "interest-like" dividends, such as from money market mutual funds, in the "total dividends" box? So STG's and MoneyMarket divs are all mixed up in there?
I think so... like dividends from a bond fund would be included in total dividends (box 1a), but not included in qualified dividends (box 1b) so tey end up as non-qualified dividends and subject to ordinary rates.

Tags
capital gains, short term gains, taxes