Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
15 Ways to Slash Spending in Retirement
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Onward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,667
15 Ways to Slash Spending in Retirement

This is from Business Week via Yahoo Finance. Nothing earth-shattering, but a good summary.

fifteen-ways-to-slash-spending-in-retirement: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
__________________

__________________
Onward is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 343
Yeah, saw that this morning on Yahoo. Was disappointed in there not being any more insight than what they pointed out. I guess the intended audience of the article is for those who have not yet thought about it enough to be on this forum.
__________________

__________________
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Thanks, Onward.

Take advantage of the early bird special--who'dathunkit?

I do agree with the "don't wait to sell your house" tip, especially if you bought it several years before the "buy high" day and your retirement plans had that component to them. I'm sure it will be painful for us in many ways when we put ours on the market next year, but we'll still do it.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,905
I am already following some of the 15 tips, but not others. For example, I am not trying to minimize the cost of food and I still eat at the same restaurants.

Following our usual Early Retirement Forum wisdom, I tracked my expenses during my last few years of work and my estimate of what I would need in retirement was based on that, after some adjustments for those expenses that might be less (or more) in retirement.

I had assumed that due to boredom, I would want to spend about $500/month more in retirement on hobby materials or other purchases and that hasn't happened.

In fact, I have been so happy that so far I have been spending only about 83% of what I spent while working. (This is not counting my new car, which I had planned for purchase in 2010 ten years ago).

The article looks like a good checklist for those who are having trouble making ends meet in retirement and I think it provides some good ideas.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,493
All this is assuming, of course, that you actually need to slash your expenses in retirement.

We did go down to one car though - that was a good move.

Audrey

P.S. I never expect much depth out of these financial/frugal advice articles. They are usually written by someone who is not actually walking the walk.
__________________
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
All this is assuming, of course, that you actually need to slash your expenses in retirement.

We did go down to one car though - that was a good move.

Audrey

P.S. I never expect much depth out of these financial/frugal advice articles. They are usually written by someone who is not actually walking the walk.
I totally agree.
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I do agree with the "don't wait to sell your house" tip, especially if you bought it several years before the "buy high" day and your retirement plans had that component to them. I'm sure it will be painful for us in many ways when we put ours on the market next year, but we'll still do it.

I am heading this way myself . I was trying to wait out the downturn but now it looks like there is no end in sight so at some point I'll bite the bullet and just list my house . Probably early next year , Florida still has so many foreclosures dragging down the market . I want to sell my house not give it away .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
It would be a major pain in the tookus if we had just one vehicle now. Maybe in ten years or so that won't be the case...
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,905
We'll probably put our houses on the market early next year, too.

We would put our houses on the market immediately, but the house next door to Frank's house went on the market recently for a ridiculously low price. So, our timing pretty much depends on if/when that house sells.

If it sells quickly (which is unlikely here, even with the ridiculously low price), then we might even put our houses on the market this year. But forget the end of the year, due to the holidays. My best guess would be early next year, but this could happen any time from this summer to never.

I'd like it if we could sell them and move before early next year, and get on with our lives. Oh well. What a PITA. Mostly I just want to be in a house where I plan to live for at least five more years, so I can make changes and renovate without worrying too much about return on the investment.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We'll probably put our houses on the market early next year, too.

We would put our houses on the market immediately, but the house next door to Frank's house went on the market recently for a ridiculously low price. So, our timing pretty much depends on if/when that house sells.

...
Sure you are considering the effect of the Obamabucks due to disappear April 30 i believe. That $6.5 to $8k incentive for buyers can have a major effect on home value/purchase-ability. Might be the market won't go up that amount over the course of the coming year.... I've been looking and thinking of declaring new residence to take advantage, but there will probably be a drop in home values of oh - 6.5-8K after expiration of the incentive, and no need to declare new residence. Plus we're looking in the hotland of America, so summers a good shopping time....
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sure you are considering the effect of the Obamabucks due to disappear April 30 i believe. That $6.5 to $8k incentive for buyers can have a major effect on home value/purchase-ability. Might be the market won't go up that amount over the course of the coming year....
Might be? If I had to guess, it would be that the market may go down, not up even a penny in this location over the coming year and that is without even considering the cancellation of the incentives. This is one more reason why we may end up never getting out of here. Well, at least I think that when I am thinking negatively. (On the other hand, we are perfectly fine where we are for the time being.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki
I've been looking and thinking of declaring new residence to take advantage, but there will probably be a drop in home values of oh - 6.5-8K after expiration of the incentive, and no need to declare new residence. Plus we're looking in the hotland of America, so summers a good shopping time....
I'd love to be buying but there is no way we could expect to put our present homes in escrow before April 30th. Maybe the tax credit for buyers will be extended. It is too much time pressure for us to even consider, as it is.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburbs
Posts: 1,769
I am taking a good hard look at some of the fees associated with my funds. I know I can do better moving most stuff to VG.
__________________
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am heading this way myself . I was trying to wait out the downturn but now it looks like there is no end in sight so at some point I'll bite the bullet and just list my house . Probably early next year , Florida still has so many foreclosures dragging down the market . I want to sell my house not give it away .
We should all just trade houses next year
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We should all just trade houses next year

I'm not trading for any houses that come with snowblowers !
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
I did find what I think will be a small nugget in the list of things to cut.
I'm going to call my auto insurance agent.
I'm driving a lot less miles now, so maybe they will give me a discount.
I remember the agent asking about the distance of my commute when I bought my car. I live in the burbs and drove about 50 miles a day when working. Now its a rare trip here and there and a few runs to the local stores.
We will see,
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I did find what I think will be a small nugget in the list of things to cut.
I'm going to call my auto insurance agent.
I'm driving a lot less miles now, so maybe they will give me a discount.
I remember the agent asking about the distance of my commute when I bought my car. I live in the burbs and drove about 50 miles a day when working. Now its a rare trip here and there and a few runs to the local stores.
We will see,
Steve
My auto insurance went down when I told them I was retired.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

In fact, I have been so happy that so far I have been spending only about 83% of what I spent while working. (This is not counting my new car, which I had planned for purchase in 2010 ten years ago).
Someone who plans their car purchase 10 years out. I love it!

I bought my last car when I turned 30. Now I'm thinking of treating myself to another when I turn 40 in another 2 years. Not that I haven't been shopping for another one recently.. just too cheap to pull the trigger
__________________
FreqFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
My auto insurance went down when I told them I was retired.
I've been so busy enjoying my freedom, it hadn't crossed my mind until I read the article.
I'll give my agent a call. My car spends a lot more hours in the garage these days and I'm loving it.
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqFlyer View Post
Someone who plans their car purchase 10 years out. I love it!

I bought my last car when I turned 30. Now I'm thinking of treating myself to another when I turn 40 in another 2 years. Not that I haven't been shopping for another one recently.. just too cheap to pull the trigger
Now that you mention it, I suppose most people don't plan that far out. I would not have done that, except that it was part of my retirement plan which I had just started 10 years ago.

Ten years ago I bought my Camry Solara because my prior car was just hopeless and causing me to be late to work more days than not. My credit was abysmal and I didn't have a prayer of obtaining financing, so in my desperation to pay for it I actually took money from my retirement account from a previous job and took the hit on taxes and/or penalty for doing that. (Log that under "Stupid Things That I Have Done".)

Anyway, having been in that desperate of a situation trying to get the Solara, and since I was just starting my financial planning, I decided to plan to buy a new one in 10 years when I retired. That was a goal, and I was just hoping the Solara would last that long. Luckily, it did.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Now that you mention it, I suppose most people don't plan that far out. I would not have done that, except that it was part of my retirement plan which I had just started 10 years ago...
Wow! I never plan that far ahead on a car purchase. I did not even have a plan for retirement. I just did not want to go back to full-time work after a venture failure. Semi-retirement just happened. Life is full of the unexpected, and I am tired of making plans.
__________________

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retirement Spending mickeyd FIRE and Money 1 08-21-2007 06:56 PM
Spending in retirement aenlighten FIRE and Money 17 08-20-2007 05:45 PM
Roth-like ways to save for retirement summer2007 FIRE and Money 9 07-15-2007 09:15 PM
Spending In Retirement bookman51 FIRE and Money 45 07-23-2006 04:10 PM
Five ways to prevent retirement Nords Young Dreamers 82 11-01-2005 08:26 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.