Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Up 2 mill since retiring in 2010. I had enough then but now WOW.
Looking for a drop soon.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
"Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!"
Now we are doomed.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This one I take back. While my portfolio was at an all time high, still I didn't reach the milestone I was hoping to reach today. I was $1,276 short. There is no joy in Mudville.
One morning a couple years back I looked at mint.com and we were about $50 short of a major milestone for net worth. Went to my wallet, wife's purse to pool the cash together... boom champagne time.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
Another trend is the decreasing consumerism of young adults and the delaying marriage. This seems to point towards less overall domestic consumption.
This is interesting, since one also reads about these darn young people with instant gratification mind sets always with the latest electronic toys etc.

Be interesting to take a look at gov expenditure data over time by age group and get the scoop.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuixiu View Post
One morning a couple years back I looked at mint.com and we were about $50 short of a major milestone for net worth. Went to my wallet, wife's purse to pool the cash together... boom champagne time.
Good idea. After reading your post I checked my wallet but still didn't have enough to reach that milestone. Oh well. Maybe the market will go up on Monday, too.

It's not a big deal. I keep telling myself that if we did not have a number system based on powers of ten (which I have read is probably a primitive arrangement due to having 10 fingers), then it wouldn't be a milestone in the first place.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #46

Quick! Sell something on eBay! You don't need that couch.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Earlier today, I sold some shares of two of my most volatile holdings. They have been going up like mad, and of course they would drop the most. So, time to book some gains.

So far, I "saved" not quite $1K with the above move. However, my portfolio still drops $7K as of this writing, and MF results won't be known for a few more hours.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuixiu View Post
I have an HSA account that got to $40K+ that is maintained by my wife, and kept off my Quicken screen. Then, I have also a few gold coins as keepsakes. Never thought of bringing them in as reinforcement to reach any milestone.

The problem with adding them to Quicken, whose bottom line is what I go by, is that you can do that only once.

And then, who knows what's in the day ahead? We may need many many gold coins to be added for a strenuous hang-on to that brief milestone. Not to scare anybody or anything, as we all are in the same boat.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Earlier today, I sold some shares of two of my most volatile holdings. They have been going up like mad, and of course they would drop the most. So, time to book some gains.

So far, I "saved" not quite $1K with the above move. However, my portfolio still drops $7K as of this writing, and MF results won't be known for a few more hours.
Well, after MF reporting, my "losses" added up to a 5 figure.

And today with the market dropping even more, of course I wish I had sold off more. The DOW is at 16,885 now.

Has greed turned into fear? Nah! Not until we are down 20%. Then, I will try to overcome my fear to buy.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Alcoa (symbol AA), one of my holdings, reported earnings after market close yesterday. It beat estimates, and its stock climbs some more. It has been doing nothing other than well ever since they kicked it out of the Dow Jones index. Heh heh heh...

As Alcoa always starts off the earning season, it sets the tone for the market. So, I bought back the few shares I sold a few days ago. Does that make me a day trader or what?

I saved myself around $1.5K in losses compared to what happened if I had held them (my entire portfolio "loss" is >20X more), but it is fun. A lot more fun than going to Las Vegas.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With aluminium going on a rampage, I'm hoping it is time steel does the same

Hopefully ArcelorMittal gets some more well-deserved love then. It's been worth more dead than alive for a good few years now.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I recently bought a bit of X (US Steel). It was thrown out of the Dow Jones index, and then off S&P 500 also. Talk about getting no respect. Not just getting thrown off the horse, but also dragged to near death. Heh heh heh...

Traded as high as $200/share prior to the Great Recession. Struggling at $27 now. It just returned to profitability this year. A speculative buy, so I only have 0.5% of portfolio in it.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #53

Quote:
Alcoa (symbol AA), one of my holdings, reported earnings after market close yesterday. It beat estimates, and its stock climbs some more. It has been doing nothing other than well ever since they kicked it out of the Dow Jones index. Heh heh heh...

As Alcoa always starts off the earning season, it sets the tone for the market. So, I bought back the few shares I sold a few days ago. Does that make me a day trader or what?

I saved myself around $1.5K in losses compared to what happened if I had held them (my entire portfolio "loss" is >20X more), but it is fun. A lot more fun than going to Las Vegas.
As Unclemick says I see you are working on the hormonal side of things. Have fun!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

That's the phrase Unclemick keeps saying, but I am not sure about the hormone thing. I have never watched an entire ball game, any kind of ball game, any kind of spectator sport, any race whether bicycles or cars for that matter, in my life. Not in a stadium, not on TV. And I stopped following even the Olympics games perhaps 20 years ago. And if forced to watch these things, I would die of boredom. If hormone causes aggressiveness, then I must be hormone deficient.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #55

Looks like today may be the day to give back some of those gains over the past couple of weeks.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

What's the reverse of "Wh***"? Whoops?

Now, I wish I held back on repurchasing those shares that I sold on Monday.

Funny how you spend the most time reflecting on your most recent trades, while other positions may crash even harder.

Another 5-figure loss already. Isn't this fun or what?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's the reverse of "Wh***"?
It's "Eeeeeehw!"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Fine with me.

Now, everybody in unison...
Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #59

Quote:
Fine with me.

Now, everybody in unison...

"Que sera, sera"?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

That's too easy to say. Conquering one's greed and fear is the next step. Same with seeing and understanding your neighbor's emotions.