Join Early Retirement Today

2.0% 5-year CD - Can I do better?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

2.0% 5-year CD - Can I do better?

I am looking to put about $100,000 into a CD. I have found the following deal at State Farm Bank:

Term: 5-Year
Interest Rate: 1.98%
APY: 2.0%
Early withdrawal penalty: 180 days

I also see that PenFed has a 2.02% rate, but the early withdrawal penalty is 365 days.

Does anyone know of a better deal?

Thanks very much,
Mark
marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That looks like a pretty good deal. The only other option might be Ally Bank, which would pay 1.5% but would only hit you with a 60 day penalty for early withdrawal, so if you think rates are likely to go up in the next year or so, you would have very little penalty for pulling it out early. At a 180 day penalty you might be inclined to leave it in even if rates go up. But if you're comfortable locking it in for five years, that looks like a very competitive rate.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

info seeker posted this recently:

If you are a Navy Federal Credit Union member.....and have been llooking for a good rate on a 12 month CD they have a special offer going on right now. ( $50-$3000 CD, 3% APY) Only downside for you might be that you have to have a checking account and direct deposit with them. Just thought I'd pass along this info, as I only see it advertised at their website.
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought a 5 year non redeemable GIC last week for 3%. However, since this was from Scotiabank in Canada, it won't help you.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #5

I'm getting 1% on 2 yr brokered CDs. There's no early redemption option not involving my death so if rates go up I have to hold until maturity or sell.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I bought a 5 year non redeemable GIC last week for 3%. However, since this was from Scotiabank in Canada, it won't help you.
In a similar vein you can get 3% 5 year savings bonds in the UK.

Top 10 Five Year Fixed Rate Bonds UK - Best 5 Yr Savings Bond

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #7

Sorry for deflecting this thread's direction, but just curious: can a non-citizen buy CD's or another country's savings bonds?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Sorry for deflecting this thread's direction, but just curious: can a non-citizen buy CD's or another country's savings bonds?
I think it would be better to ask if a non-resident can buy them rather than a non citizen and I think the answer is basically no unless they are specifically set up for cross border selling....like the Iceland banks were......

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
All depends on country.
But easier to buy a fund which invests in such things, like GIM (which is my major global bond holding)
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

2% seems to be right in line with what I've found as well.

State Bank of India
Rates as of Oct. 9th

5 year
2.10%$5,0005 years and above
EverBank
Rates as of Oct. 9th5 year1.99%2.01%$1,500Yield Pledge CDBarclays
Rates as of Oct. 9th5 year1.98%2.00%$060 Month Online CDState Farm Bank (Rate in NY)
Rates as of Oct. 9th5 year1.98%2.00%$50060 Month CD - Less than $100,000 - Rate collected within: 10025 (NY)
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

Bought 2.5% for 6 years a couple of weeks ago (now 2.4% - changes are posted on Thursday's) at Wright-Patt CU NCUA insured. Pentagon FCU has 5 and 7 years at 2.02% currently. Vanguard had some 3.25% 10 year FDIC insured non-callable CD's too.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
I've looked at these in the past and always found that you have to be a permanent resident.

I had a quick look at nun's link and the CD he mentioned requires you to be a UK resident. (see screen shot attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3702433746.jpg (384.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Apparently you don't have to be a permanent resident to buy them in Canada, but there will be tax withholding unless it's a 5 year non redeemable GIC.

Fiscal Agents - Ask An Expert - Guaranteed Investment Certificates

However, the rate that I got last week was a promotion, which has now ended.

The other issue is currency exchange risk.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote