2 commas

Must be American if you use commas vs. periods.

I guess that's because it's better to skip a comma than a period. But YMMV.

But seriously, congratulations on your milestone!

SWEET!

(My wife and I crossed the comma threshold early in 2015.)

Michael

I don't normally include my personal residence equity since I have have to live somewhere. I count liquid net worth except for estate planning. For planning I leave out dots and commas.
If the goal is counting commas, convert to another currency such as yen.

Congrats on your milestone.... many more to come.

Well, I haven't felt a millionaire before, so not sure if I feel like one. I'm sure my wife wouldn't like me running around trying to get feely with millionaires. What do they feel like to you? And how come you think I would not feel like them? :)

Seriously though, thanks all for the good wishes.

They're usually very ticklish!

LOL... make the OP feel bad for doing something good....
You really feel that's how I came across? If so, that was not my intention. Rather I wanted to provide motivation to keep on doing a great job and strive for further greatness and financial freedom.

Congratulations, a great milestone :dance:

We use commas in Britain for 000's dividers, and full stops in decimals :)

Congratulations !!!!!

I retired at 52, have not touched my 401K other than roll it over to an IRA with Fidelity..... I am $4492.22 from two commas, this is just my IRA ...... So close, maybe next week it will happen :) Another Milestone

Congratulations !!!!!

I retired at 52, have not touched my 401K other than roll it over to an IRA with Fidelity..... I am $4492.22 from two commas, this is just my IRA ...... So close, maybe next week it will happen :) Another Milestone

I'll lend you the $4492.22 @10%. Early pre pay penalty of 10%. lol

Congratulations !!!!!

I'll lend you the $4492.22 @10%. Early pre pay penalty of 10%. lol

Problem is that lending the money does nothing to net worth... you add an asset and a liability that zeros out... no movement...

Now, one of my BILs thought that it did :facepalm:... which is why he had over $5 mill in debt at one time.... lost all the assets and had to declare BK....

I don't normally include my personal residence equity since I have have to live somewhere. I count liquid net worth except for estate planning. For planning I leave out dots and commas.
If the goal is counting commas, convert to another currency such as yen.

Congrats on your milestone.... many more to come.

Used to be able to use the Italian lira for that too, but alas, that's gone. Number of millionaires in Italy decreased by a lot.....;)

Used to be able to use the Italian lira for that too, but alas, that's gone. Number of millionaires in Italy decreased by a lot.....;)

That used to be one of my favorite lines. If I heard a price that I thought was high. I used to say " 30,000 Lira of American?" hahahaha

Congratulations !!!!!

You are allowed to count your savings and checking accounts as well ..... Its the total amount of $$$ you have, not restricted by the account type.

Congrats, OP! :dance:

Set your sights on getting the third now, no rest for the wicked 😈
I guess that's because it's better to skip a comma than a period. But YMMV.
But seriously, congratulations on your milestone!

I'm going to have to watch out for you two, aren't I? Your comments nearly made me choke on my water.

You are allowed to count your savings and checking accounts as well ..... Its the total amount of $$$ you have, not restricted by the account type.

Agree.

While I don't scrounge in the couch for dropped change or tally the bills in my wallet, I do count savings and checking accounts. It's a loose total, sure, but markets fluctuate just like checking accounts, so I just add it all together. Having a total is just for fun, anyway, so why not?

Decimal Period or Decimal Comma; 3.14159

With an American lifetime of using the period as the decimal point (and two degrees in math), it's disconcerting to me to read numbers using the comma for that purpose. Is that just my American insularity? Maybe not. Here is a reference on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark
Countries where a dot "." is used as decimal mark include the United Kingdom and the United States. That is the custom in India, China, and Japan, too according to my source. So it seems that most people on Earth today use the period as I do, not that I feel great compulsion to go with the majority. Just that it is convenient.

It's a loose total, sure, but markets fluctuate just like checking accounts, so I just add it all together. Having a total is just for fun, anyway, so why not?
I mark to market almost every business day to see the total value of my retirement stash. That calculation is easy and fast with internet access to stock and fund values (and a spread sheet to do the arithmetic). Separately, I add in the value of my two unmortgaged family homes and some empty land, vestige of the family farm. The value of my primary residence has been fairly stable with some long term growth, but recently, according to zillow, the house dropped over 12%. That doesn't matter; my houses are not for sale. If that drop helps keep my property taxes down, it's all to the good. The house is just as homey regardless of what zillow thinks.

Congrats! Remember the first million is the hardest.

With an American lifetime of using the period as the decimal point (and two degrees in math), it's disconcerting to me to read numbers using the comma for that purpose. Is that just my American insularity? Maybe not. Here is a reference on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark
Countries where a dot "." is used as decimal mark include the United Kingdom and the United States. That is the custom in India, China, and Japan, too according to my source. So it seems that most people on Earth today use the period as I do, not that I feel great compulsion to go with the majority. Just that it is convenient.

It was a little odd when we went to Europe for the first time, made us look twice at the price to be sure we were reading it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom