2 commas

Congratulations!!

We use commas in Britain for 000's dividers, and full stops in decimals :)
Yes and so do Canada/Mexico/Aus/NZ/Philippines and many others.

Congratulations on your achievement. Do you have another milestone in mind?

Congratulations on reaching the $M milestone!

Must be American if you use commas vs. periods.

Reminds me of a job I once had in Accounting. To save money, my company fired a bunch of IT guys and replaced them with some off-shore contractors. My job was to review the new reports the developers came up with for accuracy. The first report they sent had sales shown as 23543445. I sent it back and told them to put in the commas. They responded "where would you like them?"

If you're going to count the house you live in as part of the equation...you may as well count your vehicles too.

If you're going to count the house you live in as part of the equation...you may as well count your vehicles too.

Agreed. Though it is much easier to mark the house to market and not have to frequently adjust like the cars, which can also be wrecked easily. So for a practical implementation matter, it's not usually worth counting depreciating assets, wouldn't you agree?

Reminds me of a job I once had in Accounting. To save money, my company fired a bunch of IT guys and replaced them with some off-shore contractors. My job was to review the new reports the developers came up with for accuracy. The first report they sent had sales shown as 23543445. I sent it back and told them to put in the commas. They responded "where would you like them?"

They were very accommodating!:LOL:

Congratulations. It is a milestone worth taking pause and being proud.

With respect to inclusion of your house, I just view that as the next milestone - $1M in invested assets. In the end, what you include or exclude means very little. As others have pointed out, one day you may have $1M in investments and the next you may not. Depending on your housing valuation, it may be less subjective/risky than an investment account.

The main point is, that you should be proud and you should keep up the good work. A quick internet search indicates you are in the top 10% in the US. Not too shabby.

Great job Dallas. I also just got into the 2 comma club in investable assets after 20 years of saving. Hopefully the next million will happen faster. 🤞

In Vancouver, the average cost for an SFH is $1.0 million so most people exclude its value.
Average price in our neighborhood is above $2.0 million. Gotta move out to retire on those numbers.

When I hit that a few years back and told DW, she actually was surprised. She thought we were already past that! She tracks nothing, so just assumed, because she thinks I am so stingy, that we already beat it. Very anticlimactic. The next milestone is two commas without the house equity. Then two commas in after tax savings. Many definitions of "first" million. Congrats.

I wonder what percentage of the population makes that first milestone?

Record number of millionaires living in the US. 10 million households with over a million in assets, WITHOUT the house. There are now 145,000 U.S. households worth $25 million or more. There are 1.2 million households worth $5 million to $25 million.

I wonder how they get those numbers. No one's ever called me to ask about my household assets, yet I'm in that "new millionaire" number for 2016...

I also laugh when they talk about "The biggest growth occurred at the top!" Well, yeah, that's kinda how compound interest works. It's a lot easier to make another million off of $5M than it is off of $800K.

Bada bing. Like "duh!". Easiest way to make a million is to start with 20 million and earn 5%.

I wonder how they get those numbers. No one's ever called me to ask about my household assets, yet I'm in that "new millionaire" number for 2016...

I also laugh when they talk about "The biggest growth occurred at the top!" Well, yeah, that's kinda how compound interest works. It's a lot easier to make another million off of $5M than it is off of $800K.

They called me, I answered for your family, I told them My pal Nash031 is killin it, add him in too.:LOL:

Bada bing. Like "duh!". Easiest way to make a million is to start with 20 million and earn 5%.
Clearly not true. You could start with 25 million and earn 4%.

Kinda like, "If you ain't first, you're last!!"

"You can be second, or third, or fourth. Hell, you can even be fifth!"

Back
Top Bottom