Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interesting the posters who repeatedly espouse a particular 'kids vs no kids' lifestyle on this forum. Makes you wonder if they're actually trying to justify their situation to themselves now that it's too late to give them back or have them.

Hamlet said it well in 1602...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #42
gone traveling

How Spending Money Affects Happiness - A Wealth of Common SenseA Wealth of Common Sense

Once you have money spend it on experience and not on things. I was just coming from this angle. I read similar articles over and over.

Kids, hike to Machu Picchu, bike ride from Prague to Vienna, good bottle of wine

It is funny but easiest to have a frame of mind to accumulate/make millions is to make first million. And I am long after first million........

Old 10-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting the posters who repeatedly espouse a particular 'kids vs no kids' lifestyle on this forum. Makes you wonder if they're actually trying to justify their situation to themselves now that it's too late to give them back or have them.

Hamlet said it well in 1602...
The pro-kids posters might well be regretting their decision, but the childfree posters surely are not. The internet is filled with message boards devoted to those who regret having kids. But you won't find any such message boards from childfree poeple who regret being childfree. We childfree people have given our decision far more thought, especially given the pro-natalist society we have to deal with all the time and the pressure to procreate.

Then there is that famous Ann Landers survey back in the 1970s, albeit unscientific, where about 70% of the letter-writers said, "no" when asked if they would have kids if they could do it all over again.

I can't think of a bigger decision I am more certain of than the one to be childfree. It has been put to the test many times (by losing many good relationships with women who wanted to have kids) over the years but I have never, ever wavered.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I love it when someone comes along to reinforce my point.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
For may parents, kids are in the same category as an expensive car...... ....
Oh, please. An expensive car is sooooo much cheaper.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
For may parents, kids are in the same category as an expensive car......
Well, they both have gas. And the cute ones do attract women.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a single Uncle when growing up that wanted to spend time with my brother and I.
Years later, when he was in his 60's and on his death bed he told us his saddest time of life was when he didn't have kids to enjoy. So, he took us to Disneyland and other places so he could enjoy them through the eyes of a kid. Today, I've not only enjoyed my kids but my grandkids as well. Holdidays are nicer, having 20 for a family dinner is fun, going to graduations is rewarding and I've accumalated enough wealth along the way.

Now, I know everyone can feel differently about kids.......BUT.....I do think it's wrong for people that chose to live without kids to, in any way, demean those that did. Yes, you will save more early in life if you don't have kids but, to me, life without kids wouldn't have much meaning.......I haven't lived one day, yet, that I've regretted having kids.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Oh, please. An expensive car is sooooo much cheaper.
A $50k car every 5 years will add up to $200k (not counting inflation). That's about what a kid will cost.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A $50k car every 5 years will add up to $200k (not counting inflation). That's about what a kid will cost.

you lost $50K somewhere .
Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
you lost $50K somewhere .
Four cars in 20 years, one every 5 years, $50k per car, that's $200k.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #51

Quote:
It is the childfree who get demeaned by the childed.
I started a child-free thread here a few months back, and remain child-free, though I think DW and I will pursue children as we are physically capable (without going to any extraordinary medical means).

At age 37, and presently child-free, I agree that I have been "demeaned" by people with children as though I were selfish or really missing something in my analysis of whether or not I want kids to this point. Conversely, I don't understand the early-adulthood attraction to children, but I just opt to keep my mouth shut. Unfortunately, few parents do the same in discussions with me and apparently feel obligated to explain to me how wrong I am and have been to this point...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I thought you said a $50K car every 5 years? You didn't specify a period of time...It's confusing, to say the least. But I get the point.

Heck, we spent that much on a daughter's quarter horses, trailer, events, boarding, and gear when she was showing in the under 18 classes and winning in competition (over a 5 year period). Worth every penny of it, too.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #53

[mod hat on]

We can talk about this without using terms or characterizing people in a demeaning way. Let’s please drop the “breeder” and “bingo” tone, acknowledge that this topic is very personal, and keep the discussion positive - and polite.

[mod hat off]
Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
I had a single Uncle when growing up that wanted to spend time with my brother and I.
Years later, when he was in his 60's and on his death bed he told us his saddest time of life was when he didn't have kids to enjoy. So, he took us to Disneyland and other places so he could enjoy them through the eyes of a kid. Today, I've not only enjoyed my kids but my grandkids as well. Holdidays are nicer, having 20 for a family dinner is fun, going to graduations is rewarding and I've accumalated enough wealth along the way.

Now, I know everyone can feel differently about kids.......BUT.....I do think it's wrong for people that chose to live without kids to, in any way, demean those that did. Yes, you will save more early in life if you don't have kids but, to me, life without kids wouldn't have much meaning.......I haven't lived one day, yet, that I've regretted having kids.
I found this part of your post to be demeaning to childfree people. I doubt childfree celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey, Betty White, or Jay Leno would agree with you. I don't agree with you, either.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #55

I think younger people can make life better. I don't have kids but nod to those who successfully raise them.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No trade in/resale value?

The main "secret" to becoming the next millionaire would probably be to enjoy simpler pleasures than one can afford. How people choose to do so is up to them.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #57
gone traveling

The kids are by far not main factor in whether you will accumulate/make millions or not.

But LBYM / high earner spouse will make huge difference. It is your spouse that will have perhaps biggest impact on how things go. ( Unless you stay single )

Oh and don't get divorced
Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
No trade in/resale value?

The main "secret" to becoming the next millionaire would probably be to enjoy simpler pleasures than one can afford. How people choose to do so is up to them.
LOL there might be trade-in value, but then again I didn't include any of the car maintenance costs such as repairs, inspections, registrations, insurance, and the gas to power them.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
The kids are by far not main factor in whether you will accumulate/make millions or not.

But LBYM / high earner spouse will make huge difference. It is your spouse that will have perhaps biggest impact on how things go. ( Unless you stay single )

Oh and don't get divorced
I consider kids to be closely linked to the LBYM mantra. My expenses are very low because I am childfree. I am also single, so I don't get to beneift from any high-earning spouse. Then again, I don't have to worry about getting divorced.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #60

Back to the original topic. 20 things that will make you a millionaire. One of them is choose hobbies that you really love and don't jump from expensive hobby to expensive hobby. Someone buys a bunch of camera equipment that never gets used. Someone gives up local fly fishing and camping to fly (and crash) model airplanes. Buy a motorcycle at age 57 and 6 months later stop riding. Go to pro football games without earning money to do it. For women: ridiculous shoe collections, too much jewelry-a huge waste of money IMO, fancy clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum