20 Easy Things That Will Make You the Next Millionaire

It is the childfree who get demeaned by the childed.

I started a child-free thread here a few months back, and remain child-free, though I think DW and I will pursue children as we are physically capable (without going to any extraordinary medical means).

At age 37, and presently child-free, I agree that I have been "demeaned" by people with children as though I were selfish or really missing something in my analysis of whether or not I want kids to this point. Conversely, I don't understand the early-adulthood attraction to children, but I just opt to keep my mouth shut. Unfortunately, few parents do the same in discussions with me and apparently feel obligated to explain to me how wrong I am and have been to this point...

Four cars in 20 years, one every 5 years, $50k per car, that's $200k.

I thought you said a $50K car every 5 years:confused:? You didn't specify a period of time...It's confusing, to say the least. But I get the point.

Heck, we spent that much on a daughter's quarter horses, trailer, events, boarding, and gear when she was showing in the under 18 classes and winning in competition (over a 5 year period). Worth every penny of it, too.

[mod hat on]

We can talk about this without using terms or characterizing people in a demeaning way. Let’s please drop the “breeder” and “bingo” tone, acknowledge that this topic is very personal, and keep the discussion positive - and polite.

[mod hat off]

I had a single Uncle when growing up that wanted to spend time with my brother and I.
Years later, when he was in his 60's and on his death bed he told us his saddest time of life was when he didn't have kids to enjoy. So, he took us to Disneyland and other places so he could enjoy them through the eyes of a kid. Today, I've not only enjoyed my kids but my grandkids as well. Holdidays are nicer, having 20 for a family dinner is fun, going to graduations is rewarding and I've accumalated enough wealth along the way.

Now, I know everyone can feel differently about kids.......BUT.....I do think it's wrong for people that chose to live without kids to, in any way, demean those that did. Yes, you will save more early in life if you don't have kids but, to me, life without kids wouldn't have much meaning.......I haven't lived one day, yet, that I've regretted having kids.

I found this part of your post to be demeaning to childfree people. I doubt childfree celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey, Betty White, or Jay Leno would agree with you. I don't agree with you, either.

I think younger people can make life better. I don't have kids but nod to those who successfully raise them.

Four cars in 20 years, one every 5 years, $50k per car, that's $200k.

No trade in/resale value?

The main "secret" to becoming the next millionaire would probably be to enjoy simpler pleasures than one can afford. How people choose to do so is up to them.

The kids are by far not main factor in whether you will accumulate/make millions or not.

But LBYM / high earner spouse will make huge difference. It is your spouse that will have perhaps biggest impact on how things go. ( Unless you stay single :) )

Oh and don't get divorced :)

No trade in/resale value?

The main "secret" to becoming the next millionaire would probably be to enjoy simpler pleasures than one can afford. How people choose to do so is up to them.

LOL there might be trade-in value, but then again I didn't include any of the car maintenance costs such as repairs, inspections, registrations, insurance, and the gas to power them.

The kids are by far not main factor in whether you will accumulate/make millions or not.

But LBYM / high earner spouse will make huge difference. It is your spouse that will have perhaps biggest impact on how things go. ( Unless you stay single :) )

Oh and don't get divorced :)

I consider kids to be closely linked to the LBYM mantra. My expenses are very low because I am childfree. I am also single, so I don't get to beneift from any high-earning spouse. Then again, I don't have to worry about getting divorced. :cool:

Back to the original topic. 20 things that will make you a millionaire. One of them is choose hobbies that you really love and don't jump from expensive hobby to expensive hobby. Someone buys a bunch of camera equipment that never gets used. Someone gives up local fly fishing and camping to fly (and crash) model airplanes. Buy a motorcycle at age 57 and 6 months later stop riding. Go to pro football games without earning money to do it. For women: ridiculous shoe collections, too much jewelry-a huge waste of money IMO, fancy clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I consider kids to be closely linked to the LBYM mantra. My expenses are very low because I am childfree. I am also single, so I don't get to beneift from any high-earning spouse. Then again, I don't have to worry about getting divorced. :cool:

“All great and precious things are lonely.”
John Steinbeck, East of Eden

.For women: ridiculous shoe collections, too much jewelry-a huge waste of money IMO, fancy clothes.

I went to a garage sale a few weeks ago, the end of the second day, and a woman still had about 50 purses left - some with the tags still on and many in like new condition.

I asked her if she was moving and she said no, she was just trying to not be a hoarder. I bought a bag full of basic purses and backpacks that will last me a decade since I just use the same purse every day until it wears out.

There is a reality TV show that is a milder version of Hoarders called Clean Sweep where the host and crew help people with shopping addictions. There are women on the show with huge collections of purses, shoes or whatever, many unused with the tags still on. Their advice to people with shopping addictions is to keep 3 or 4 of a collection and sell the rest at a garage sale, so I wondered if she or maybe her husband had watched that show. I think the reruns are on Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom