Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
20 Easy Things That Will Make You the Next Millionaire
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,585
20 Easy Things That Will Make You the Next Millionaire

Saw this article and it has pretty good correlation with much of the advice given on the forum here

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advi...131727812.html

Main points summarized here:
Buy The Things That You NeedEven though one of the reasons people strive to become millionaires is to be able to afford the things that they want to do, living in a house far too big for your needs or shelling out on a vehicle more luxurious than you require is going to set you back in your goals.
Spend Less Than You EarnThis is saving money and accruing wealth 101, but even old advice can be good advice, and such is the case with this.
Make Sure That You Can Pay Off the Things That You BuyAnd the quicker you can pay them off, the better! This will enable you to search for a job that you love and will therefore be more conducive to putting you closer to your goals.
Exercising PatienceIt may be really tempting to up your quality of living or your lifestyle expectations as you begin accruing more money and assets to make you into a millionaire, but you will not reach your goal by taking some out of the pot.
Utilize Automatic Paycheck DeductionsYou cannot spend what you do not have, so having these set up with your bank is going to help you save money better than many other tactics will.
Pay Off Your Credit Cards Every MonthHaving a good credit score is always a strong financial situation to be in, but making sure that you can afford what you are spending is even better when you are trying to become a millionaire.
Use Time to Your AdvantageThe quicker you start saving, the better. If you begin saving in your twenties or thirties, you will be able to take advantage of compounding interest and put yourself in a better position without having to do much extra work.
Realize That Money Doesn't Buy HappinessWhen you are working for a wholesome goal instead of a ploy to satisfy material urges, your goals will come to you faster and easier.
Realize That 'Life Happens'Having a bit of money on the side separate from your millionaire fund will keep you on a steady track toward that goal; after all, you never know when a financial emergency will rear its ugly head.
Focus on Being Debt FreeEven if you have income coming in every month, if you have any sort of debt, you need to be deducting that from your gain--if it comes out negative, you are not financially free, and will not be able to achieve your millionaire dreams yet. In order to be the next millionaire, you have to make sure that your debts are all paid.
Work Hard And DiligentlyIf you keep putting in the effort, it will be easier to make amends after a financial mishap.
Get a Second JobNot only will it add to your savings that much faster, but also if you stay busy you will have no time to spend the money that you are trying to save.
Don't Be Afraid to Have a Big VisionMost modest savings plans do not end up panning out as the people who made them would have liked. Having a vision larger than what you can currently deliver will actually be the best way to ensure that you meet your goal.
Have Good Money Management SkillsKeep up to date on what you need to know to manage your money, and realize that without good management, it will never grow or mature into what you would like it to be.
Do What You EnjoyWorking in a field you enjoy will be one of the fastest routes to financial freedom and success, as you will spend more time at work and excel at it, putting you in a better position for promotions and pay increases.
Pay Yourself FirstThis will keep you satisfied and will help you achieve financial success with your goals.
Go Out And Find Your MoneySimply saving and hoping that it will come to you will never be good enough. You will only receive what you earn.
Invest in YourselfWithout furthering your education or professional development, there will be nothing to set you apart from others, and no reason for your employer to aid you in your goals.
Invest in Property When You Do Buy AssetsHaving property on hand is always going to be a good asset, as there are always buyers for property and property values are beginning to climb again, healing from the collapse in 2008.
Realize That There Is More Than One Way to Approach a ProblemBeing versatile will lead you quickest to the solutions for your problems.
__________________

__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Saw this article and it has pretty good correlation with much of the advice given on the forum here

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advi...131727812.html

Main points summarized here:
Buy The Things That You NeedEven though one of the reasons people strive to become millionaires is to be able to afford the things that they want to do, living in a house far too big for your needs or shelling out on a vehicle more luxurious than you require is going to set you back in your goals.
Spend Less Than You EarnThis is saving money and accruing wealth 101, but even old advice can be good advice, and such is the case with this.
Make Sure That You Can Pay Off the Things That You BuyAnd the quicker you can pay them off, the better! This will enable you to search for a job that you love and will therefore be more conducive to putting you closer to your goals.
Exercising PatienceIt may be really tempting to up your quality of living or your lifestyle expectations as you begin accruing more money and assets to make you into a millionaire, but you will not reach your goal by taking some out of the pot.
Utilize Automatic Paycheck DeductionsYou cannot spend what you do not have, so having these set up with your bank is going to help you save money better than many other tactics will.
Pay Off Your Credit Cards Every MonthHaving a good credit score is always a strong financial situation to be in, but making sure that you can afford what you are spending is even better when you are trying to become a millionaire.
Use Time to Your AdvantageThe quicker you start saving, the better. If you begin saving in your twenties or thirties, you will be able to take advantage of compounding interest and put yourself in a better position without having to do much extra work.
Realize That Money Doesn't Buy HappinessWhen you are working for a wholesome goal instead of a ploy to satisfy material urges, your goals will come to you faster and easier.
Realize That 'Life Happens'Having a bit of money on the side separate from your millionaire fund will keep you on a steady track toward that goal; after all, you never know when a financial emergency will rear its ugly head.
Focus on Being Debt FreeEven if you have income coming in every month, if you have any sort of debt, you need to be deducting that from your gain--if it comes out negative, you are not financially free, and will not be able to achieve your millionaire dreams yet. In order to be the next millionaire, you have to make sure that your debts are all paid.
Work Hard And DiligentlyIf you keep putting in the effort, it will be easier to make amends after a financial mishap.
Get a Second JobNot only will it add to your savings that much faster, but also if you stay busy you will have no time to spend the money that you are trying to save.
Don't Be Afraid to Have a Big VisionMost modest savings plans do not end up panning out as the people who made them would have liked. Having a vision larger than what you can currently deliver will actually be the best way to ensure that you meet your goal.
Have Good Money Management SkillsKeep up to date on what you need to know to manage your money, and realize that without good management, it will never grow or mature into what you would like it to be.
Do What You EnjoyWorking in a field you enjoy will be one of the fastest routes to financial freedom and success, as you will spend more time at work and excel at it, putting you in a better position for promotions and pay increases.
Pay Yourself FirstThis will keep you satisfied and will help you achieve financial success with your goals.
Go Out And Find Your MoneySimply saving and hoping that it will come to you will never be good enough. You will only receive what you earn.
Invest in YourselfWithout furthering your education or professional development, there will be nothing to set you apart from others, and no reason for your employer to aid you in your goals.
Invest in Property When You Do Buy AssetsHaving property on hand is always going to be a good asset, as there are always buyers for property and property values are beginning to climb again, healing from the collapse in 2008.
Realize That There Is More Than One Way to Approach a ProblemBeing versatile will lead you quickest to the solutions for your problems.
I can agree with many of these but some, not as much. Also, they are not all "easy things" IMHO (e.g. getting a second job?). Getting a second job may be easy to do for some people but it can be hard on enjoying "living". I do agree with getting a job you enjoy, if you can. It doesn't hurt if that job pays really well with good benefits. For me, having a good paying job that I enjoyed, regular savings, along with living within my means, were the keys.
__________________

__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,434
There are always buyers for property? I guess, assuming you don't mind selling for less than you bought for.

Who wrote this part, Rich Dad?
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,366
"Pay Yourself First" is frequently mentioned but never explained. Put money in savings before you pay bills? Spend on what you want first? Since the meaning is unclear to me, I must operate very differently than the target audience.
__________________
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 406
Quote:
Realize That Money Doesn't Buy Happiness When you are working for a wholesome goal instead of a ploy to satisfy material urges, your goals will come to you faster and easier
Not sure I agree with this one...if I had more money I'd be happier
__________________
If money is the root of all evil I want to be a bad man
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,316
Most of the forum members practice a lot of these things . The sad thing is, with our economy being a so called "Consumer Economy" it would collapse if most did the same.
__________________
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
"Pay Yourself First" is frequently mentioned but never explained. Put money in savings before you pay bills? Spend on what you want first? Since the meaning is unclear to me, I must operate very differently than the target audience.
Pay yourself first means have your savings withheld automatically from your paycheck and deposited in your retirement account. You never see the money and don't have to do anything to save.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,417
'Get a second job'?! I just got rid of the original one! Doesn't really jib with the 'money doesn't buy happiness'. Work/life balance is the key. A 'fun job' or a volunteer 'job' maybe. A second job might make you a millionaire sooner but it might also make you unhappy, divorced, unhealthy... as well.
__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Pay yourself first means have your savings withheld automatically from your paycheck and deposited in your retirement account. You never see the money and don't have to do anything to save.
This was the only way I could save when I was in my early 20s - if money hit my checking account it was inevitably spent. However, this was in the late 70s, long before direct deposit was prevalent. I had a separate savings account at a bank that was a 5 minute walk from work but in the opposite direction than my way home and made sure not to have an ATM card for that account. Each payday I would take the amount I was saving in cash when I deposited my paycheck in my regular bank and then walk to the other inconvenient bank and deposit my savings.

I got the satisfaction of doing it and was less likely to spend that money because it was inconvenient to get to.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
"Pay Yourself First" is frequently mentioned but never explained. Put money in savings before you pay bills?
The unsaid part of that is don't run up bills you can't pay after you "pay yourself first".

That means write a budget in which you pay yourself first, then spend on the other things, like food, rent, etc. There is always someone living on less than your income. What do they do? If necessary, do that.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Good tips overall, but it falls a bit short. It stresses "saving" money, but doesn't give any clue about what to invest in--except property. That's a way, but it's not the only way, or maybe even the best one.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,871
At the risk of starting a firestorm, the list left out the biggest reason I have a NW of over $1M: No kids. I am childfree and proud of it, and attribute that key lifestyle choice as by far the biggest reason I have a NW of over $1M.
__________________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
Dd852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London/UK
Posts: 213
I often joke that my two key secrets to financial success are no divorces and no children! A third is a dw whose attitudes towards spending and money are, if anything, meaner and leaner than mine... Plus some luck.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,472
One kid is pretty good too. For me being a parent enriched my life enormously. I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Now he's about grown we are the best of friends too.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,417
Four kids, a healthy net worth and a solid safety net for old age. Family. Many different ways to get there. And children are well worth it, IMHO.
__________________
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Not sure I agree with this one...if I had more money I'd be happier
I've always said that while money doesn't buy happiness, it does make many of life's problems go away. And that makes it easier to be happy.
__________________
This sig intentionally left blank.
gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
At the risk of starting a firestorm, the list left out the biggest reason I have a NW of over $1M: No kids. I am childfree and proud of it, and attribute that key lifestyle choice as by far the biggest reason I have a NW of over $1M.

I sort of doubt that's true. I suspect if you're the type to accumulate a $1M net worth you would do it with or without kids, same as I did (with a kid). No kids might make it a bit easier, but I see plenty of DINKs without 2 quarters to rub together.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I sort of doubt that's true. I suspect if you're the type to accumulate a $1M net worth you would do it with or without kids, same as I did (with a kid). No kids might make it a bit easier, but I see plenty of DINKs without 2 quarters to rub together.
Oh, it's definitely true. There is no way I could accumulate $1M by age 45 if I had kids because my expenses would be so much greater, from housing to food to clothing to medical expenses. Unless one's kids are generating more income than expenses, kids will always be a drain on one's finances, thereby delaying (early) retirement or making that impossible altogether. And if DINKs had kids, they would not have 2 nickels to rub together, let alone 2 quarters.
__________________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Four kids, a healthy net worth and a solid safety net for old age. Family. Many different ways to get there. And children are well worth it, IMHO.
Whether children are "well worth it" is irrelevant to this discussion. (Parents are supposed to say that except on message boards such as "TruMomConfessions" and other similar sites.) Unless your kids are generating more income than expenses, they made your safety net smaller and reduced your net worth compared to if you had been childfree. We say the same things about people who spend money recklessly on cars, houses, vacations, restaurants, financial advisors, etc., all of which worsen one's financial position and make retirement tougher. I am simply adding children to that mix.
__________________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
mpeirce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus area
Posts: 1,595
On the other hand having kids can be a great motivator to work hard and save. Likewise, I know a number of kidless folks who never got serious about life.

On the whole I expect it's probably a wash.
__________________

__________________
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 Easy Steps to Becoming a Millionaire MasterBlaster FIRE and Money 42 06-12-2011 02:05 PM
Things own you; you don't own things - know what is want and a need dex Young Dreamers 21 10-26-2005 01:40 PM
Covered calls made easy....too easy? laurence FIRE and Money 8 09-13-2005 10:13 AM
Book Report - Millionaire next door cute fuzzy bunny Life after FIRE 72 10-18-2004 07:52 PM
Good book - The Millionaire Next Door Telly Other topics 18 08-20-2003 04:37 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.