Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
2008 $400 Tax Credit = 2009 Taxable Income?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
2008 $400 Tax Credit = 2009 Taxable Income?

Does the 2008 $400 Tax Credit = $400 2009 Taxable Income?



American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$116 billion: New payroll tax credit of $400 per worker and $800 per couple in 2009 and 2010. Phaseout begins at $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for joint filers

Tax credit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term tax credit describes two different concepts:
  • The first is a recognition of partial payment already made towards taxes due.
  • The second is a state benefit paid to workers through the tax system, which has the effect of increasing (rather than reducing) net income.
__________________

__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bikerdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,901
If you mean the Bush tax stimulus payment made in 2008, then it is not taxable income.
__________________

__________________
“I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” Alan Greenspan
Bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
If you mean the Bush tax stimulus payment made in 2008, then it is not taxable income.
I'm referring to the one just announced - the $13/week I hear on the news.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
I heard onthe news today that the $400-$800 tax credit is going to be taxable on you 2009 tax return. This is not the same as a "stimulus check". They aren't redoing the tax tables. Didn't catch any specifics about what income levels may or may not be exempt from this tax. It's just like the max $8000 tax credit for first time home buyers. Since it's a tax credit, it will be taxable but over some longer period of time. Obamanomics!!!
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
thefinancebuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Does the 2008 $400 Tax Credit = $400 2009 Taxable Income?



American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$116 billion: New payroll tax credit of $400 per worker and $800 per couple in 2009 and 2010. Phaseout begins at $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for joint filers

Tax credit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term tax credit describes two different concepts:
  • The first is a recognition of partial payment already made towards taxes due.
  • The second is a state benefit paid to workers through the tax system, which has the effect of increasing (rather than reducing) net income.
First of all, there is no $400 tax credit in 2008, only in 2009 and 2010. Second, it's a tax credit, which reduces tax dollar for dollar (receive check if the person doesn't pay tax). It's not taxable income.
__________________
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
[quote=thefinancebuff;789418]First of all, there is no $400 tax credit in 2008, only in 2009 and 2010. Second, it's a tax credit, which reduces tax dollar for dollar (receive check if the person doesn't pay tax).

A senior moment me just had.

I should have wrote - 2009/2010
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 430
The way I understand it is that the oft-quoted $13 per paycheck is a pre-payment of a tax credit. When you do your 2009 taxes in 2010, you will claim your allowable amount of the credit (6.2% of earned income, subject to a $400 maximum for singles or $800 for married).

It is quite possible that the total of the reduced withholding amounts over the year for a household will exceed the 400/800 limit (especially if you are a 2-earner couple or have multiple jobs). You will adjust for that when you do your taxes in 2010.
__________________
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie View Post
The way I understand it is that the oft-quoted $13 per paycheck is a pre-payment of a tax credit. When you do your 2009 taxes in 2010, you will claim your allowable amount of the credit (6.2% of earned income, subject to a $400 maximum for singles or $800 for married).

It is quite possible that the total of the reduced withholding amounts over the year for a household will exceed the 400/800 limit (especially if you are a 2-earner couple or have multiple jobs). You will adjust for that when you do your taxes in 2010.
Txs - I heard somewhere that since the tax tables were not adjusted - a person would have less withheld this year but have to pay it back next year when they did their taxes. Maybe that just is for those over $75K.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Txs - I heard somewhere that since the tax tables were not adjusted - a person would have less withheld this year but have to pay it back next year when they did their taxes. Maybe that just is for those over $75K.
Correct. The tax tables are not adjusted. If a person did exceed the income limit for being able to claim any part of the credit, then he would have to "pay it back" with his return next year.
__________________
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I heard somewhere that since the tax tables were not adjusted - a person would have less withheld this year but have to pay it back next year when they did their taxes. Maybe that just is for those over $75K.
That's what I thought as well - that the tables were not adjusted and since the withholding is reduced, you will have to settle up next year when your return is filed. I'll admit I haven't researched it yet.
__________________

__________________
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 Stimulus Tax Credit newspaper56 FIRE Related Public Policy 24 02-18-2009 06:20 AM
Buying rental property in 2008/2009 Alex. Young Dreamers 11 12-08-2007 11:27 PM
2008 cap gains taxes: zero in 10% & 15% income-tax brackets Nords FIRE and Money 37 08-02-2006 05:41 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.