2008 Net Worth Change and Years to Recoup Loss

Another way to look at this is that we are still ahead of our net worth when we retired in Aug 2002 and we have also burned through $300k living since then.

Yep, compared to last week, today I have lost 4.3% of my portfolio. One annual SWR gone.

In another thread, we talked about blood in the streets. I am wading through my own blood here, and just a few days ago, thought that my wounds have scabbed over.

No crying baby here, but I don't see how people having a more agressive AA than my 50% stock can take it. I thought I was tough, but "UNCLE... HAVE MERCY..."

Yep, compared to last week, today I have lost 4.3% of my portfolio. One annual SWR gone.

In another thread, we talked about blood in the streets. I am wading through my own blood here, and just a few days ago, thought that my wounds have scabbed over.

No crying baby here, but I don't see how people having a more agressive AA than my 50% stock can take it. I thought I was tough, but "UNCLE... HAVE MERCY..."

What? No more BUY, BUY, BUY? I dropped a lot of money in the market today based on your recommendation!:rant:

just kidding!;):D

Buy Buy Buy.

When it hurts, and your eyes are teeming with tears, that's when one should buy...

Buy Buy Buy. Tomorrow I will. And I am not kidding. Still got around 50% cash.

Buy Buy Buy. Until the exhiliration numbs the pain.

Buy Buy Buy.

When it hurts, and your eyes are teeming with tears, that's when one should buy...

Buy Buy Buy. Tomorrow I will. And I am not kidding. Still got around 50% cash.

Buy Buy Buy. Until the exhiliration numbs the pain.

Peope with 50% cash aren't allowed to post about pain. :p

Ha

I did drop a lot of money in the market today (for real), even slightly increasing my overall allocation to equities beyond my normal comfort zone. I guess I haven't learned my lesson yet! :p

Good!

Tomorrow I will buy in, just for the bragging right that I buy lower than thou. :D

Peope with 50% cash aren't allowed to post about pain. :p

Ha

Well, you sir might have lost a leg, but can't I lament about the loss of my arm? :)

Sure. I was joking. Your pain is important NW-Bound.

ha

I have been joking here too! Got to keep the spirit up. See how it may be difficult to see the mood of the poster? It's only money, after all.

My sister may have some serious health problem, but does not want to let anybody in the family know yet. It's still being diagnosed. I heard from her husband, who felt he had to let it out. So, if it's just money (and not the loss of ALL of it), it cannot be that big a deal.

OK. Today, I did add a few hundred shares to my GE position.

Yes, despite big talks, I am a chicken. I don't want to run out of ammo, not knowing how long this battle is going to last. I don't want to switch on automatic mode, preferring to squeeze off a few rounds every so often, then go back down to the fox hole.

Buy buy buy.

OK. Today, I did add a few hundred shares to my GE position.

Yes, despite big talks, I am a chicken. I don't want to run out of ammo, not knowing how long this battle is going to last. I don't want to switch on automatic mode, preferring to squeeze off a few rounds every so often, then go back down to the fox hole.

Buy buy buy.

Well, I won't give you too much grief. It's pretty darn hard to pull the trigger nowadays!

I just completed computed my 2008 net worth (excluding home value) versus 2007:

- Decrease of 16.1%

That's about right for me too. Thanking my lucky stars I'm working and employable, and that I have diversified.

Expressed graphically (a 19% decline from the peak -- 12% decline in 2008):

NetWorth.jpg

I usually calculate my NW on March 31 when all the year end reconciliations are in. Right now, based on my long term equity portfolio YOY losses of 25%, I'm conservatively assuming NW will be approximately $2m, SWR $80K @4%. If I lost my job today, I would be able to survive, though not retire as comfortably as I would like. I am going to continue saving, let time heal my portfolio and not worry too much.

Finally got around to doing the calculations. As of March 31, NW was down 15.5%, but remained well above $2m. I didn't lose as much as I thought I would, because I am now quite diversified. This is the first time NW has decreased since I started calculating it in 2000. Discounting the year I had an inheritance, annual increases in NW have ranged from 3.4% to 27%. Of course it's easier to have a large % increase when you are starting small. I anticipate saving ~5% of my current NW every year between now and ER, so even if there is a modest single digit ROI over that time, I should be back to 2008 NW within 3 years.

I'm down about 30% or so in my investments. "Early" retirement plans have given way to hopefully having enough to fund five or six years of rest before my estimated mortality date. :(

2008 result -10%

Net Worth down 10% (exactly). Sold house in 2007 or it would be worse. Renting now.

A/A has been ~30% stocks for the past few years.

Up 2% YTD 2009.

Back
Top Bottom