2008 portfolio changes

T

Tiger

What, if any, changes are you planning to make in your portfolio in 2008?

Mostly getting nominal bonds out of my taxable accounts and moving into munis. Both because of better yields with munis (see the thread on discounted CEFs) and to minimize my taxes (which are starting to bite as my portfolio income increases).

Less international, dialing back REIT's to no more than 5% of the portfolio, reallocating to growth and small cap value

I expect to keep my asset allocations as they are with some minor tweaking.

I may add some new money into international funds where I am on the low side of my range and throw any leftover cash into a money market account in order to accumulate some extra reserves for possible real estate investments if the opportunity arises.

Scale back on equity to 55% and shift the proceeds to a stable value fund.

2007 was a great year for us in the market. I will continue to try to make my portfolio more tax efficient and to tilt more to small and value. I have some legacy actively-managed mutual funds with largish expense ratios and embedded capital gains that I want to unload. These same funds hit me with large taxable distributions this month, which I have taken in cash which in turn is being used to buy ETFs like GWX (small cap international) and DGS (small cap emerging markets). All this will reduce the number of holdings and simplify things for me even further.

I am on the 10-year payout plan with TIAA traditional and its going into TIAA real estate on autopilot.

What, if any, changes are you planning to make in your portfolio in 2008?

Oh, man. What changes am I NOT making in 2008? :2funny:

Since ER is planned for 23 months from now, I am planning to start moving towards a more ER-like asset allocation of 45:55, rather than my present accumulation phase AA of 60:40 (with the 45 and 60 being the equities portions). A reasonable amount of "pssst.... Wellesley!" will be put into place in my ER portfolio at some point. My TSP will move into the "G Fund" entirely by 2009.

Also I am moving towards a diversified, buy-and-hold ER scheme that I am presently hammering out, probably including more small cap and even my first REIT investment (in my Roth IRA, with a little cringing and stress), and less European. Right now my taxable portfolio is small but growing extremely fast due to paying off my house, plus there is a possible windfall in the works. So, at the moment I am working pretty hard on figuring out what I want this portfolio to look like depending on its possibly expanded size or lack of same in the future.

Last edited:
selling 1% to bonds in June and another 1% in December.
creating a mortgage payoff fund (a fund I will invest in as opposed to paying off mortgage). PRFPX is probable fund I will use.

Verifying all the rollovers I did in 2007 and new funds I chose in 2007 perform to expectation in mid and small cap sectors.

I have decided to gradually move all our IRA funds (2/3 of total) to index portfolios. I will let each existing position sit until it naturally gets worked out, so this may be a multi-year process.

Other than that, I am looking to add tax liens and rental real estate to the mix, but both are dependent on being able to get an adequate return for the risk and trouble.

I'm pretty happy with the current asset allocation and not planning to make any changes at this point.

no changes, just the usual re-balancing if needed.

I have been at 86% equities so I'll probably scale back a little .I also learned my lesson and I'll write a 100 times "I will not waste money on Penney Stocks ".

Zip, nada, none...
Ditto for the most part. I migrated out pre-tax funds to indexes ala Brewer. We have a substantial chunk of taxable funds left in managed accounts but I have exhausted my losses from the 2000-2001 downturn so I can't see a good way to change them other than spending them down over the years.

No change to AA for me. Normal early January rebalancing back to targets.

Add another 1% to bonds, keep buying small value until I get the tilt right, probably add commodity ETF up to 5%, keep working on driving expense rate down.

I've decided to load my portfolio up with winners for 2008. To heck with this tax loss harvesting crap! I'm gona try to actually make some money in '08. :p

I've decided to load my portfolio up with winners for 2008. To heck with this tax loss harvesting crap! I'm gona try to actually make some money in '08. :p

Ya I am really tired of tax harvestING, I feel like a farmer this year. Luckily I had some winners also, and ridiculous large distribution from a stock "index" fund.

So my 2008 resolution is to only invest in stocks that end the year higher!
It is right up there with exercise 5 times a week lose 25 lbs, and be nice to people on internet discussion boards.

Last edited:
add stock index funds and international funds. Increase equities to 80%.

Back
Top Bottom