Join Early Retirement Today

200k to 250k in a flat market
Old 11-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

200k to 250k in a flat market

I am guessing that it takes on average about 2 years to make that 50k leap. It has been about 1.5 years for me. I have about 225,600k right now. In a flat market it sure seems like it takes forever. It's not easy but I contribute about 12k a year to my investments. Anyone else feel like going from 200k to 250k took forever?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It always takes more time than it should... But it really depends on how much you save.

I am fortunate to be able to save quite a bit, I am targeting saving $200K for this year, which includes my companies 401K match. Any market gains or losses are outside of that number. About 5x what my budget is.

Keep at it, try and save what you saved last year, plus any raises or expenses you do not have ion the new year.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

There will soon be a time for you where that $50K becomes a relative drop in the bucket. You'll be asking the same question about $500K to $750K, and eventually $2M to $2.5M. All relative, but keep at it we'll all get there (wherever your th
ere happens to be)!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

We reached a number three years ago where we felt comfortable to retire, so I did. DW decided to keep going. Our net worth has since doubled. Keep saving and investing...you never know when the good times will benefit you. Just be sure to rebalance so you don't keep too much of a good thing when it goes bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

For a long time it seemed to take forever to get it to move. After awhile it was a big number. Then it was interesting to watch it to go up or down in a couple days what you used to wait to accumulate for a couple years.

It is all relative.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

That's a 25% gain, which is more than two years of an average market.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Waiting for investment gains is like watch a pot of water boil. Sometimes it takes a while to see the gains. In my intro post on this site, I was second guessing my DH's and my decision to leave my job to take care of my small child.

Almost three years later, we are in a great spot. Our net worth has increased considerably. We still save a good amount and DH got a promotion, but compounding and dividends have done the heavy lifting.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife retired from Chevron, and still owns quite a few of their shares, so we're waiting to get back to where we were a year ago. That's really a drag.

(BTW, she holds the shares in a her 401K, and there are some advantages to taking the shares out in a way that takes advantage of the net unrealized appreciation rules, so I'm hoping it turns out OK in the end.)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At least you are going up.

Wait until your portfolio loses $250K in a few months. Are you prepared for that?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
There will soon be a time for you where that $50K becomes a relative drop in the bucket. You'll be asking the same question about $500K to $750K, and eventually $2M to $2.5M. All relative, but keep at it we'll all get there (wherever your there happens to be)!
Not sure everyone will agree with your perspective but it's certainty has become true for me. When I was working, it was the ups and downs of my 401k since that's where I'd see the big changes. Even as recent as 3 or 4 years ago, I would "stress out" over a 5k loss in a day or even a week. (Opposite true for gains of course ) Now it really doesn't bother me much. e.g. I just checked and I have lost about 35k in the past 10 days but made that (or more) the two weeks before that. I built a spreadsheet to track my weekly gains/loss by total "cash or liquid investable" net worth for the past year. I speculate (nice term for gamble) a lot. Some weeks I lose, some weeks I win. So regardless of my speculation "activity" (which includes trading stocks) I am to the point I really only care about my bottom line and don't worry "too much" about any particular trade, bet, etc). One of my friends calls this speculation diversification. As long as the bottom line is going up, I quit worrying about it and just enjoy retirement.

However, if my bottom lines starts heading south, I might be rethinking my seemingly somewhat cavalier position.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

While you are still contributing this is a good thing the market is flat (or going down would be better). But since it is flat makes sense how long it is taking. Maybe $4k dividends plus your $12k contribution for 1.5 years is $24k.

Since you are laying the groundwork, it will be fun for you when the compounding begins!
Old 11-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
At least you are going up.

Wait until your portfolio loses $250K in a few months. Are you prepared for that?
I don't know. So far I have been able to handle anything the market has thrown at me.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
While you are still contributing this is a good thing the market is flat (or going down would be better). But since it is flat makes sense how long it is taking. Maybe $4k dividends plus your $12k contribution for 1.5 years is $24k.

Since you are laying the groundwork, it will be fun for you when the compounding begins!
Well to be honest my biggest fund is an Equity Income fund and it's down about 3.5% so far this year. I think last year my dividends were 6k for everything. This year maybe 7k plus. We shall see. For the 1.5 years I think the contribution is more like 18k. But I also own a small cap value fund which has been down. My Real Estate fund has small gains. The rest is SP500 index funds and Value fund. No international funds. I think soon compounding will begin because my shares owned are rising rapidly.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IIRC, $200K to $250K was a blink in time for me. The market was soaring at the time and I had great employee stock options.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Rule of 72. I imagine most of you already know this. So this post is for newbies to investing and compounding. Rule Of 72 Definition | Investopedia
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #16

Lessee, a year and a half ago would be roughly May/June of 2014. I remember 2014 starting off pretty strong, up to about that point, and then it sort of wavered. I was up around 6% by June of 2014, but ended the year up 5.6%. Now, that's a 5.6% ROI...if I count additional investments, the number would be higher.

As of 11/6/15, I'm up about 3.7% YTD. So, when you figure I actually lost a bit between June of 2014 and the end of the year, plus this year's meager gain, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. In my case, I'm getting frustrated simply getting from $1M to $1.1M! I think I hit $1M back in August of 2014. I hit $1M again, on the way down, in September! Got close, at something like $1.08M back around May or so.