Join Early Retirement Today

2010 cola
Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
2010 cola

It seems s bit premature to be refering to the 2010 COLA for military retirees, but I thought that this bit from an email that I received from MOAA was interesting.

Quote:
COLA Nosedive for 2010?
The 5.8% cost of living adjustment (COLA) retirees will see in their Jan. 2 paychecks will be the largest one since 1982.
But the new fiscal year is a whole different story, as steeply falling prices have started off next year's COLA calculation in a deep hole. This month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced that the consumer price index dropped 2.3% in the month of November.
That makes a whopping decline of 3.8% for the first two months of FY2009 - the biggest two-month drop in more than 60 years.

Quote:
In case you’re wondering: if inflation is negative for the year, there would be no COLA in 2010. Retired pay would not be reduced.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here's an interesting perspective from the Dec 2008 edition of Naval Reserve Association News. This chart compares military pay raises to retiree/Social Security COLAs, but the two are roughly equivalent to the Employer Cost Index (ECI) and CPI.

Year… Military pay… COLA
2009…3.9%............5.8%
2008…3.5%............2.3%
2007…2.2%............3.3%
2006…3.1%............4.1%
2005…3.5%............2.7%
2004…3.4%............2.1%
2003…4.1%............1.4%
2002…4.6%............2.6%
2001…3.7%............3.5%
2000…4.8%............2.5%

Compounded…43.5%...34.7%

I retired in 2002 while my spouse kept working. So my 2003-2009 COLAs have raised my pension by 23% while her pay went up an equivalent 26%. Of course this pay calculation doesn't include pay raises for longevity or targeted ranks, so the actual disparity is more than 3%. Good thing, too-- she worked hard for it and I'd hate for my relative indolence to be keeping pace.

Here's a longer-term analysis from Tom Philpott:
Retired Pay Differences Rise

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I suspect we'll look back at 2008 as a great COLA year for some time to come. The bump to my Navy retirement plus the same to my SS and my wife's (even though her first check was in December, she still gets the increase) was very nice indeed. I almost feel a little guilty since the confluence of events (high gas and food prices, which largely drove the increase and the current economic crisis) means that I'm doing better, even though I don't work but lotsa people who want to be working or who are working and are just getting by aren't doing nearly as well. Sorta like the "senior discounts" that are available to us now. When we really needed them is when we were in our 30's with kids to raise. I'll certainly take any discount offered, but I sure don't need them as much as I did years ago.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm, I think I benefit as a gray area retiree, not sure tho. Maybe I just benefit from the active duty pay raise, as it increases my base pay level?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Sorta like the "senior discounts" that are available to us now.
Seems like this would be a good time to start a thread that captures all known "senior discounts" that there are in the world.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Seems like this would be a good time to start a thread that captures all known "senior discounts" that there are in the world.
We might overload Andy's servers...
Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Maybe I just benefit from the active duty pay raise, as it increases my base pay level?
Yep. Technically it's whatever raise is applied to your retired rank (some ranks may get more than the across-the-board raise) and at the max longevity scale. So you may come out a bit ahead of where you expected, especially since Congress is trying to keep military pay rising at the CPI-- even more at the times when retention is low and recruiting is hard.

Five months before I was retired, my rank was awarded a targeted (higher) raise than the across-the-board number. IIRC it was 5.7% instead of 4.6%. I guess it was intended to improve retention but for some reason it also applied to us over-18-years guys and, of course, went directly into my Final-Pay pension calculation. I chose to interpret it as lifetime deferred compensation for my previous workplace contributions.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote