Join Early Retirement Today

2011 COLA a NO-GO?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
2011 COLA a NO-GO?

Interesting part of an email that I got from MOAA indicates that COLA for 2011 may not be as automatic as some assumed.

Quote:
COLA in the Hole for 2011, Too?
Last week, we officially threw in the towel on any prospect for a 2010 COLA for Social Security, military/federal retired pay, SBP, and VA disability compensation recipients.
With inflation 2.3% in the hole through the first 10 months of the fiscal year, inflation would have to rise more than 4.6% in the next two months (the COLA is based on the July/August/September average) for there to be a 2010 COLA, and that’s not going to happen.
But this is the first time the nearly 50-year history of COLAs that there’s been negative inflation for the full year, and that sent us back to research how the COLA law deals with that event.
We know there won’t be a cut in retired pay, Social Security, etc. There just won't be a COLA.
But how about 2011? Does the "COLA clock" reset at zero, or do we start the new fiscal year in the hole by whatever negative number the CPI represents at the end of September?
The short answer is that it's a cumulative calculation, and we will, in fact, start FY2010 in the "COLA hole."
The law says the COLA is calculated based on CPI growth from the third quarter average to the next year's third quarter average. However, it specifies that the starting point for the calculation is the third quarter of the year prior to "the most recent adjustment..." So if there's no COLA in 2010, then the starting point for the 2011 COLA calculation still remains the third quarter of 2008.
So inflation will have to rise at least a couple of percentage points during the next fiscal year before the 2011 COLA clock will even start.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I find it interesting that none of the newspapers mention that if there is deflation, your dollars buy you more and since there is no negative adjustment, your payment is worth more, a de facto COLA adjustment
Old 08-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I find it interesting that none of the newspapers mention that if there is deflation, your dollars buy you more and since there is no negative adjustment, your payment is worth more, a de facto COLA adjustment
Well, yeah, this is worth mentioning with the caveat that this means deflation according to the CPI and not according to most household budgets.

For bigger ticket discretionary items there may well be deflation, but I don't think most people are feeling deflation overall. Other than the drop in gas prices because of a short-term speculation spike last year, not much in the way of essentials are doing anything but going up in price.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, yeah, this is worth mentioning with the caveat that this means deflation according to the CPI and not according to most household budgets.

For bigger ticket discretionary items there may well be deflation, but I don't think most people are feeling deflation overall. Other than the drop in gas prices because of a short-term speculation spike last year, not much in the way of essentials are doing anything but going up in price.
Well, things to keep in mind it that while raising prices, manufacturers blamed higher gas prices since transportation is pretty much tied to the price of crude. So, in theory, the prices should fall for everything as gas prices drop.

Secondly, how do you factor into effect quality? For example with laptops, you are paying less today for a machine that ten years ago was significantly less powerful. Should that be factored in, since it isn't?

Thirdly, I forget how big ticket items are factored in but if you buy a refrigerator every ten years, then you should be saving a tenth of the price every year to make that purchase. Or some amount a year of your income does go to big ticket items.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Secondly, how do you factor into effect quality? For example with laptops, you are paying less today for a machine that ten years ago was significantly less powerful. Should that be factored in, since it isn't?
It is not clear to me what you are talking about. However, quality is factored into CPI calculation; it is called CPI hedonic adjustment.

Ha
Old 08-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is the CPI data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics since Jan. 2008 (gosh I love "teh internets").
Inflation.gif
Here is the website:
Consumer Price Index
and here is the spreadsheet (with data back to 1999)
BLS CPI reduced.xls
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote