2011 Expense Categories and Amounts

Midpack said:
We are two of the most frugal people I know (in most categories...) and we live in a pretty low cost area, but I can't begin to match this crowd. I guess you're all Jacob's by comparison...

Categoryper Mo
Allowance$335
Cars$575no car payments
Dog$133worth every penny
Entertainment$492
Groceries$510
Home$453Prop tax & insur, no mortgage!!!
Medical$225DW still has employer coverage
Utilities$325
Operating$3809
Accrual Exp$800new bed-house repainted-bath remodel
Total$4609

To compound the problem, ones definition of low cost area, is probably effected by what it is compared too. I would consider St. Louis to be high cost area, someone in Chicago would defintely call StL low cost area. I had a home built for me 7 years ago and my Property tax and home insurance combined is $220 a month. So unless you are living in a big mansion in a low cost area, Midpack, I would think you were in a high cost area. :) Its all about the point of reference I guess.

Cars|$575|no car payments

What is the $575 car expense if you don't have car payments? My guess is that you bought a car for cash or are saving monthly for the next one. I hope it's not $575 in gas!

What is the $575 car expense if you don't have car payments? My guess is that you bought a car for cash or are saving monthly for the next one. I hope it's not $575 in gas!
We do have two cars, but what's out of line?

License Plates$30
Gas$236
Insur$169
Oil Chgs$24
New Tires$65
Maint$52
Total$575

Sue J: As for high cost area, again I'm not. Where the US average is 100, and Chicago itself is 116, the town I live in is 93 (below average).

I can't imagine how others manage such low annual expenses...but maybe I'll learn.

Last edited:
Midpack said:
We do have two cars, but what's out of line?

License Plates$30
Gas$236
Insur$169
Oil Chgs$24
New Tires$65
Maint$52
Total$575

Sue J: As for high cost area, again I'm not. Where the US average is 100, and Chicago itself is 116, the town I live in is 93 (below average).

I can't imagine how others manage such low annual expenses...but maybe I'll learn.

To me anyways alot of it is you are being totally honest in your car budget. My repairs and tires are infrequent but they be paid eventually. I pay mine out of my savings money. License plates seem high. You pay as much in a month as I do in a year. I change oil 3 times a year at $29 a pop. My insurance is $40 a month ( $10 surcharge included for 2 years thanks to backing into a car) but it is only one car and liability only.

Here are my 11 or 12 month averages for my major expense categories. (I don't separate out as many things as you do, at least until the year ends.)

Housing, which includes my share of the co-op's maintenance charges (i.e. property taxes net of rebates, co-op's mortgage, physical upkeep) as well as the monthly parking fee: $543

Cable TV: $62

Land line phone and Internet: $54

Electric: $57

Health Insurance and Dental bills: $351 (but is declining because I switched to a cheaper HI plan midyear)

Auto and Home Insurance: $125 (mostly auto)

Cash and other expenses, which are mostly food but include gas and entertainment: $304

Income Taxes (including yet unpaid 4th Quarter 2011 estimated tax payments): $323 (I had a good year with dividends and cap gains!)

Total: $1,819

$3 per day. I wasn't aware that was possible, but I learn something new every day.

I try to average $7/day or less. I know $3/day is possible while still eating enough calories to maintain weight but it requires cooking which I have no interest in.

My friends tell me I'm Mr. Cheapo but I think I still have plenty of room for improvement. Food and vacation expenses are high but that's cause I tend to pay for the groceries and my partner cooks plus I took a big trip to Asia for vacation this year.

The good news is that I spend less than I did 5 years ago and earn twice as much. Watching my spending is in part motivated by reading this board. :greetings10:

$1,300 Housing (mortgage/water/power/Mtc)
$775 Entertainment & Personal Care (drycleaning, vacation)
$475 Food (groceries and dining out)
$250 Gifts (helping Mom bridge to SS)
$180 Transportation (Gas/Insurance/Repairs)
$145 Cable/phone
$3,125 Total

Those have been our fixed monthly costs for 2011 (2 people, 2.5 cats):

Food (groceries only - we rarely eat out anyways): $895
Health care (insurance/copays): $171
Auto (gas/insurance/tax/maintenance): $333
Utilities (Cable TV/internet/phones/electric/water/sewer): $623
Housing (insurance/tax/routine maintenance): $320
Pets (vet/food): $71
Total: $2,413

Entertainment/stuff/vacations/clothes/misc.: I prefer to keep that for myself;)

Last edited:
Single, 5'8"; 158 lbs. Female. Spend $100 a month on food -- includes groceries and fast food. When I eat out (often), it's always at Wendys.

If that's an honest $100, then I applaud you (as long as you're eating reasonably healthily). I think $100 is around what Jacob spends.

I'm closer to the $200 mark, but that includes cat food and cat litter - not for me, for my cat :LOL:

** Annual Expenses **

$300 electric
$700 natural gas
$1153 Cable and internet
64 Phone
134 Water
320 Sewer
76 Street Light Assessment
1254 Property/County Tax
2087 School Tax
1446 Food
709 Gasoline
203 Essential Living (haircuts, etc.)
351 Medicine/Vitamins
378 Home Insurance
642 Car Insurance
211 Clothes
----------------
+6500 discretionary -- entertainment, golf, hobbies, travel, toys, yard, garden
-----------------
$16,528

Last edited:
If that's an honest $100, then I applaud you (as long as you're eating reasonably healthily). I think $100 is around what Jacob spends.

I'm closer to the $200 mark, but that includes cat food and cat litter - not for me, for my cat :LOL:

My 2010 average was $120 per month; but I cut back (not cut out) on eating at Wendy's at got it down to $100 per month.

It's 'reasonably healthy' eating but I definitely could eat more nutritionally. I like my sweets way too much. But I am trying to do better.

2011 expenses per month thru end of november:

Electric: 101
Condo fee/tax/ins.:206
Cable/int/cell:166
Car-gas/maint./ins:116
Groceries:202
Enter./misc.:101
Vacation:98

Total:990/mo

My budget is $1000/mo. Looks like i'll make it under $12K again for the year. Last year was $11,974. I'm single, in a low cost area, with a paid off home(condo). In 2012 i'm going to need to get some dental work done that i've been putting off. Probably a root canal and crown totaling $1500 or more. I've been eating only on the left side of my mouth for a couple months. I'll have to not take a vacation and maybe cancel or downgrade my cable to stay under $12K for a 3rd straight year.

health insurance?

medical expenses not covered by insurance?

Life insurance?

** Annual Expenses **

$300 electric
$700 natural gas
$1153 Cable and internet
64 Phone
134 Water
320 Sewer
76 Street Light Assessment
1254 Property/County Tax
2087 School Tax
1446 Food
709 Gasoline
203 Essential Living (haircuts, etc.)
351 Medicine/Vitamins
378 Home Insurance
642 Car Insurance
211 Clothes
----------------
+6500 discretionary -- entertainment, golf, hobbies, travel, toys, yard, garden
-----------------
$16,528

health insurance?

health insurance?

Life insurance?

As I mentioned earlier, health insurance was covered by my job until I lost my job in August. I've been meaning to get insurance but have been procrastinating. I may just self-insure. I'm a healthy 32 year old.

As far as life insurance, i'm single with no kids and have no need for it. Although my assets are very small compared to those on this board, they're enough that my parents would still profit from my untimely death therefore no life insurance is needed.

Last edited:
health insurance?

Health insurance is currently covered by employer. When I ER in 17 months (and counting!) employer will pay $2,700 annually towards premium. I have put money aside in a separate account where I am budgeting another $3,000 annually towards the policy. The account has enough $$ to last me until Medicare kicks in.

Single, no kids. No life insurance.

Here's a few of my guesses........

1. Not including the value of employer provided services, such as health insurance, as an expense.

2. Convenient amnesia about automobile expenses. No memory of the new tires, alignment and brake job you needed two years ago. Good memory of last year where you got by with only a couple of oil changes.

3. Assuming expensive items such as houses, automobiles, home electronics, etc., are all in place.

4. Not counting the value of entertainment, dinners, etc., provided by others such as a SO.

5. No hobbies or activities that consume much money. For example, we bought a camper and kayaks over the past couple of years. Sounds like cheap entertainment until I add up the expenses of driving, pulling the camper, over 6,000 miles in 2011 plus campground fees, tourist activities, fishing licenses in 5 states, etc. We love it and plan on even more in 2012, but it is a significant budget line item!

I admire everyone who can live wonderfully on very close to zero. But despite never throwing money around (modest home, seldom dine out, older cars, few would guess we're FIRE by our appearance and lifestyle), we just couldn't live the life we want on those extreme low figures.

Just a character flaw I guess........

I try to average $7/day or less. I know $3/day is possible while still eating enough calories to maintain weight but it requires cooking which I have no interest in.

$7 sounds reasonable. There are two of us, so that would be $14/day or almost $100/week. That's our budget and we eat well on that. Of course that doesn't include booze......... Or the rare venture out to a pricey restaurant. But, most of the time, $100/wk for food is no problem.

1. Not including the value of employer provided services, such as health insurance, as an expense.

2. Convenient amnesia about automobile expenses. No memory of the new tires, alignment and brake job you needed two years ago. Good memory of last year where you got by with only a couple of oil changes.

3. Assuming expensive items such as houses, automobiles, home electronics, etc., are all in place.

4. Not counting the value of entertainment, dinners, etc., provided by others such as a SO.

5. No hobbies or activities that consume much money. For example, we bought a camper and kayaks over the past couple of years. Sounds like cheap entertainment until I add up the expenses of driving, pulling the camper, over 6,000 miles in 2011 plus campground fees, tourist activities, fishing licenses in 5 states, etc. We love it and plan on even more in 2012, but it is a significant budget line item!

I admire everyone who can live wonderfully on very close to zero. But despite never throwing money around (modest home, seldom dine out, older cars, few would guess we're FIRE by our appearance and lifestyle), we just couldn't live the life we want on those extreme low figures.

In the OP, haha specifically says that he omitted "depreciation or sinking fund or pro forma finance charge on the car. Just cash operating exp".

I followed his format.

In the OP, haha specifically says that he omitted "depreciation or sinking fund or pro forma finance charge on the car. Just cash operating exp".

I followed his format.

I wasn't pointing at you or anyone else in particular. Just saying that cheap livin' boasting rights are frequently full of apples to oranges comparisons. But there's always something to be gained from inspecting the spending patterns of others while noting where they live and the type of lifestyle they've chosen. But the absolute numbers can seldom be compared to one another in any kind of meaningful way.

1. If it's automatically taken out of my paycheck (parking, contribution to health insurance) I don't track it as an expense. To me, those are just a reduction of my salary and when I ER I gain nothing (revenue) by eliminating the parking expense. I am fully aware I will incur an additional expense if I obtain a health insurance plan that exceeds the $2700 my employer will be contributing to that efffort.

2. I track everything when it comes to my auto expenses -- tires, inspection, registration, insurance, maintenance. In the annual account I posted above, I included the new tires and oil changes in the discretionary account only because I was too lazy to break each expense out individually.

3. House has been paid off for 7 years years. I had it built for $170,000 to my specification 10 years ago. i.e. I paid it off in 3 years.

Like my special account set aside to fund future health insurance needs, I also have a separate account that will allow me at least 2 replacement of my car, replace all major appliances at least twice, and put two more roofs on the house.

4. I admit to showing up at my parent's house on Saturday and Sunday and raiding their refrigerator.

5. Tons of hobbies. All accounted for in discretionary expenses -- gardening, golf, travel, crafts, skiing (downhill and cross country), photography. When I retire in 17 months, I will be able to fund at least 4 trips (one per season) each year if I choose to do so. Granted, they will be domestic trips that I'm budgeting $2,500 towards each.

I will retire at 55 years of age. Twenty-seven years ago I set out to LBYM when when I turned 25. Between then and now 53 (soon to be 54) I have taken 2 trips per year (domestically and internationally) which by are more than my friends and coworkers; I am fortunately to have a nicer home and newer car. Granted I am on the cheap side when it comes to gifting/donation. I wear the same pair of shoes to work every day and replace them once the water starts leaking in. I own one pair of earrings. When I lose one, I buy the exact same pair so I have an extra. I own one gold necklace.

At the age of 27 I also purchased my first home for $21,000 by paying cash for it. It was a flat owned by my mom and uncles. So I got it at a good price and was able to recoup some expenses by renting the upstairs to my sister.

I will actually have more money to spend once I retire than what I am currently living on. And very much looking forward to it!!

I live in northwestern Pennsylvania; have worked at the same non-profit for 32 years; and my salary has averaged $35,000 over those years. No inheritance or lottery winnings.

Last edited:
Sitting here with a stack of receipts I need to enter into the ol' spread sheet. Maybe by year end - if this thread is still active - I'll show you mine.

But, while we're on the subject, how do folks account for things like:

Deferred maintenance and/or replacement on house, cars, electronics, household devices, etc.?

Car depreciation?

Anticipated "big" future expenses (daughter(s)' wedding(s), special trips rather than yearly vacations, "big toys" (boat, RV, plastic surgery))

etc.?

I don't see much accounting for any of these (especially car depreciation which is an unfortunate fact of life). I'll probably estimate with a straight line approach. Two used cars cost a total of $15K. Assume they will last me 7.5 years total before junking them. Thats about $2K/year. Not very precise, but probably accurate enough in the great scheme of things. YMMV

youbet said:
I wasn't pointing at you or anyone else in particular. Just saying that cheap livin' boasting rights are frequently full of apples to oranges comparisons. But there's always something to be gained from inspecting the spending patterns of others while noting where they live and the type of lifestyle they've chosen. But the absolute numbers can seldom be compared to one another in any kind of meaningful way.

I imagine you are correct. Some people are very thorough in their specific expenses, and budgeting for future expenses. Im not as much. Since Im retired and my monthly cash flow is over a $1000 more than I spend, I put it in my savings and use that stash for the unexpected expenses. I just complain that I didnt save as much that month and move on. If the budget was tighter, I would have to plan a little better.

youbet said:

I'm guilty of #1, we have good health insurance provided by our employer. But we hardly ever use it, being very healthy mid-20 year olds. Health insurance would be fairly cheap for us, as we'd do a high deductible plan and rarely use it. It will be useful when we have kids.

Everything else was accounted for, and 2-5 is wrong, for myself and my post at least.

Koolau said:
But, while we're on the subject, how do folks account for things like:

Deferred maintenance and/or replacement on house, cars, electronics, household devices, etc.?

I count it when I pay it, and often average over several years (not just a single year).

Back
Top Bottom