Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
2011 Expense Categories and Amounts
Old 12-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
2011 Expense Categories and Amounts

Here is my after-tax spending record for 2011. I just used the first 11 months x 12/11, which may slight entertaniment a bit, but should be close.

IMO I spend too much on necessities, and not enough on fun, but I guess that is what happens when you retire. So, monthly, I spent

Food-- 475
Medical 462
Auto 158
Entertainment 175
All utils 254
Housing 1225
Clothes 42
Misc 67
Stuff 71
Inv Exp 26

No depreciation or sinking fund or pro forma finance charge on the car. Just cash operating exp. Utilities include cell and everything else. Misc is mosly service; stuff is things with a physical presence. Inv exp is the occasional book or subscription. In USD.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,936
Interesting, thanks.

Edited to add: never mind, you answered the questions that I had in your post above, so I deleted them from this post. Oops!

I lump my Misc (example, haircuts?) and Stuff (example, anything from Best Buy) together. I have a category called "books". I don't subscribe to magazines, but if I did I'd put that in my "books" category, so I guess it is like your Inv Exp category.

I'd put my numbers here but they are on my computer at home, and I am posting from F.'s house right now.

I have separate categories for car insurance and house insurance. I would imagine that yours are included in the car and house categories.

IIRC, your expenses have gone way down since last year. Congratulations on that!
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 65
For comparison sake to a 25 yo, your Auto and Misc are lower than mine. But your housing/utilities is way higher than mine, food is a bit higher, and I don't have any significant medical expenses.

I figure though that by the time I retire my housing and food expenses will go up as I allow my self to increase the quality of those aspects of my life.
__________________
RioIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
JmfromTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston/Galveston area
Posts: 163
My brain is not wired to track individual expenses. However, since I retired I have been keeping a spreadsheet for my total expenses each month. It has been very enlightening to me. If I had started doing it a few years before I retired it would have saved me a lot of headache when I was doing my planning.
__________________
JmfromTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,936
Looking at my expenses here at home, and comparing, I think you are doing especially well with utilities (assuming you included TV/internet), Misc, and Stuff. That seems consistent with your assessment that you aren't spending much on fun. Necessities like housing and medical are higher for you and those are no fun.

Over all, looks pretty good, Haha.

F. has been recording every penny (literally) that he spends during this entire year. He says it is very enlightening. I have tracked my spending before, but only in categories and haven't separated every expenditure out in that amount of detail yet.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
We spend pretty similar amounts each month. You spend about $700 more a month in health and house, but I catch back up to you by having child support, and a little more in utilities and entertainment.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
We spend pretty similar amounts each month. You spend about $700 more a month in health and house, but I catch back up to you by having child support, and a little more in utilities and entertainment.
My health expenditures are almost entirely insurance. This will drop in 2012, by about $90/ month as I now have a cheaper but equal type F medicare supplement. Also my Medicare part b will drop by $ 15 or so each month. If I buy a book that to help me understand some health related thing, I also charge that off to medical. It certainly is not entertainment!

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
2011 expenses per month thru end of november:

Electric: 101
Condo fee/tax/ins.:206
Cable/int/cell:166
Car-gas/maint./ins:116
Groceries:202
Enter./misc.:101
Vacation:98

Total:990/mo

My budget is $1000/mo. Looks like i'll make it under $12K again for the year. Last year was $11,974. I'm single, in a low cost area, with a paid off home(condo). In 2012 i'm going to need to get some dental work done that i've been putting off. Probably a root canal and crown totaling $1500 or more. I've been eating only on the left side of my mouth for a couple months. I'll have to not take a vacation and maybe cancel or downgrade my cable to stay under $12K for a 3rd straight year.


__________________
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
2011 expenses per month thru end of november:

Electric: 101
Condo fee/tax/ins.:206
Cable/int/cell:166
Car-gas/maint./ins:116
Groceries:202
Enter./misc.:101
Vacation:98

Total:990/mo

My budget is $1000/mo. Looks like i'll make it under $12K again for the year. Last year was $11,974. I'm single, in a low cost area, with a paid off home(condo). In 2012 i'm going to need to get some dental work done that i've been putting off. Probably a root canal and crown totaling $1500 or more. I've been eating only on the left side of my mouth for a couple months. I'll have to not take a vacation and maybe cancel or downgrade my cable to stay under $12K for a 3rd straight year.


This is outstanding. Even after I drop rent in favor of my fully paid condo, I think my expenses will be > twice yours. It is more expensive here, maybe for almsot everything other than electricity which is very cheap. I guess you health insurance is covered at your job?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is outstanding. Even after I drop rent in favor of my fully paid condo, I think my expenses will be > twice yours. It is more expensive here, maybe for almsot everything other than electricity which is very cheap. I guess you health insurance is covered at your job?

Ha
My health insurance WAS covered by my job until I lost my job in August. I've been meaning to get insurance but am procrastinating. Unless i'm dying, I don't go to the hospital anyway. Maybe i'll just self-insure?
__________________
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879
2011 expenses per month thru end of november:

Electric: 101
Condo fee/tax/ins.:206
Cable/int/cell:166
Car-gas/maint./ins:116
Groceries:202
Enter./misc.:101
Vacation:98

Total:990/mo

My budget is $1000/mo. Looks like i'll make it under $12K again for the year. Last year was $11,974. I'm single, in a low cost area, with a paid off home(condo). In 2012 i'm going to need to get some dental work done that i've been putting off. Probably a root canal and crown totaling $1500 or more. I've been eating only on the left side of my mouth for a couple months. I'll have to not take a vacation and maybe cancel or downgrade my cable to stay under $12K for a 3rd straight year.

Im single and spend $400 a month on food and that doesnt include eating out which goes to entertainment. You have to be really skinny or very efficient with your food preparation to stay at $200! I feel for you on the eating on the side of your mouth. I did it for two months until I got my wisdom tooth pulled. Spent two months cowering in fear over a 10 second experience. I now need to reapply to get my man card back.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Im single and spend $400 a month on food and that doesnt include eating out which goes to entertainment. You have to be really skinny or very efficient with your food preparation to stay at $200! I feel for you on the eating on the side of your mouth. I did it for two months until I got my wisdom tooth pulled. Spent two months cowering in fear over a 10 second experience. I now need to reapply to get my man card back.
I actually feel bad about spending so much on food. I eat only processed, pre-packaged food. I should be able to spend less but I don't cook. If I go to a fast-food place by myself then that counts as groceries. If I go to a restaurant with other people, that's entertainment.
__________________
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Im single and spend $400 a month on food and that doesnt include eating out which goes to entertainment. You have to be really skinny or very efficient with your food preparation to stay at $200!
I eat more than enough at $200/mo. I figure I average 2500-3500 calories per day with the occasional 4000+ day. Depending on which site I look at, I need to take in 2200-2800 calories per day to maintain my weight. So I could be eating less. If you're overweight you may want to "count calories" for a while to see if you should be cutting back. $400/mo seems like a lot for one person for food unless you're an athlete requiring 5000+ calories or maybe it just includes a few bottles of nice wine which I never buy.
__________________
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879

I eat more than enough at $200/mo. I figure I average 2500-3500 calories per day with the occasional 4000+ day. Depending on which site I look at, I need to take in 2200-2800 calories per day to maintain my weight. So I could be eating less. If you're overweight you may want to "count calories" for a while to see if you should be cutting back. $400/mo seems like a lot for one person for food unless you're an athlete requiring 5000+ calories or maybe it just includes a few bottles of nice wine which I never buy.
We eat about same amount and I am 6'1 weigh 175, so Im considered thin, but my vices of weekly purchases of 12 packs of diet soda, dunkin donuts coffee $9 a bag twice a month, and bottled water add up quickly, and maybe you dont blow money there like I do. That probably alone adds up more than I think.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
We eat about same amount and I am 6'1 weigh 175, so Im considered thin, but my vices of weekly purchases of 12 packs of diet soda, dunkin donuts coffee $9 a bag twice a month, and bottled water add up quickly, and maybe you dont blow money there like I do. That probably alone adds up more than I think.
6'1" 175lbs isn't actually thin but it's a good weight. It's at the high end of the optimal BMI range which is 18.5-24.5. You're at 23.15.

I usually only drink 1 soda per day sometimes 2. I drink water but I go to a natural spring once or twice a year and get approx. 20 gallons of water each time for free. It's not really free since it costs about $15 for gas but it's still much less than bottled water and at least as good of quality. I have never drank coffee before.
__________________
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879

6'1" 175lbs isn't actually thin but it's a good weight. It's at the high end of the optimal BMI range which is 18.5-24.5. You're at 23.15.

I usually only drink 1 soda per day sometimes 2. I drink water but I go to a natural spring once or twice a year and get approx. 20 gallons of water each time for free. It's not really free since it costs about $15 for gas but it's still much less than bottled water and at least as good of quality. I have never drank coffee before.
The BMI's Im always a bit suspicious of as my body fat is 9% . Its been at the high end like you mentioned yet people call me skinny. I will have to examine what buy ( I go to Super Walmart, so Im not buying at a high end store). I have always just bought and called it my budget. Maybe I can shave a hundred without sacrificing much!
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
We eat about same amount and I am 6'1 weigh 175, so Im considered thin, but my vices of weekly purchases of 12 packs of diet soda, dunkin donuts coffee $9 a bag twice a month, and bottled water add up quickly, and maybe you dont blow money there like I do. That probably alone adds up more than I think.
My food is $475/mo, and it includes cheap Trader Joe wine and an occasional bottle of champagne to take to GFs. Very little pop, but I do include meals out that I eat just because I am too hungry to get home. My cutoff for this is $10- above that it must be entertainment! Ordinarily if I do this it is <$5.

My food costs a little more than some, but I do try to be thrifty. I think the main budget breaker is I only eat good fish. Occasionally I get frozen fish at Trader Joe, which is usually => $5. But fresh fish where I like to buy it is usually $9+/#. Still, I figure I won't live forever and somebody is going to eat this good fish and it might as well be me. I think I eat fish 6 or 7 times a week (sometimes lunch). A lot of that is very good Alaskan canned sockeye that I buy in Bellingham. I go through 3 cases of 24 cans each year. I think it comes in at about $6/#. I have two ways of fixing it- patties, with onions, green pepper, egg, etc- and more often, salmon salad.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
My food is $475/mo, and it includes cheap Trader Joe wine and an occasional bottle of champagne to take to GFs. Very little pop, but I do include meals out that I eat just because I am too hungry to get home. My cutoff for this is $10- above that it must be entertainment! Ordinarily if I do this it is <$5.

My food costs a little more than some, but I do try to be thrifty. I think the main budget breaker is I only eat good fish. Occasionally I get frozen fish at Trader Joe, which is usually => $5. But fresh fish where I like to buy it is usually $9+/#. Still, I figure I won't live forever and somebody is going to eat this good fish and it might as well be me. I think I eat fish 6 or 7 times a week (sometimes lunch). A lot of that is very good Alaskan canned sockeye that I buy in Bellingham. I go through 3 cases of 24 cans each year. I think it comes in at about $6/#. I have two ways of fixing it- patties, with onions, green pepper, egg, etc- and more often, salmon salad.

Ha
You eat a lot ofmfish, HA! I wish I could eat fish, but mentally I just cant. Been taking fish oil for a year, hoping it lowers my cholesterial levels which were fine, but just wanting better. Going to test it next month. Eating out with my GF makes cheap entertainment as she always insists for paying her half. Although I have to split the price of a Reisling that I wouldnt normally have as that is a must for her when we eat out.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SecondCor521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise
Posts: 2,406
Here are my monthly averages for the first 11 months of this year:

Taxes: 2,082.76
Kids: 1,208.82
Interest Expense: 621.53
Recreation: 444.87
Food: 362.55
Utilities: 234.36
Medical: 232.46
Insurance: 224.19
Auto: 181.26
House: 94.16
Clothing: 23.68
Charity: 23.64

plus about $11.04 per month in another six small categories.

Kids category includes child support and anything else I spend on them directly.
Interest expense is mortgage interest.
Recreation includes a one week RV trip to Olympic National Park this summer with one of my children. (Hawaii and Spain are next year.)
Food includes both groceries and eating out for me and the kids.
Medical is mostly the kids' orthodontics and an ER visit for a sprained ankle.

2Cor521
__________________
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You eat a lot ofmfish, HA! I wish I could eat fish, but mentally I just cant. Been taking fish oil for a year, hoping it lowers my cholesterial levels which were fine, but just wanting better. Going to test it next month. Eating out with my GF makes cheap entertainment as she always insists for paying her half. Although I have to split the price of a Reisling that I wouldnt normally have as that is a must for her when we eat out.
Nice date. At my age group, I think I am expected to buy dinners out or happy hours. Anyway, this suits me as she makes many good dinners at her place, and she has an excellent TV and she records NFL and the college games that I want to see. She could get lots of other guys to take her places, and some places a cut above where I am likely to offer, so I have no intention of rocking the boat.

About fish, I have always loved it. And I've lived in Seaport towns and cities for over 50 years, so I could indulge my love. I used to catch the big Pacific octopus, dive for sea urchins for the eggs (now a great delicacy in the US for sashimi, though it has been so forever in Japan).

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.