Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow.. I'm amazed at both the people who can live on <$20K and impressed by those who were able to accumulate enough $ to retire with >$80 expenses. I fall right in the middle. This year came in at $40,534.15. Yes I track every penny ... I would say $25K is for essential and $15K is discretionary. This year was <3% SWR. Given the nice bump in the markets my SWR could be less for 2014. I'll still give myself a 2.5% raise for inflation, but I'll try hard not to spend it ....

Big ticket items or 2013 were: New tires on 2 vehicles, replaced 3 tube TV with flat screens and a car lift. The only big ticket item for next year will be to paint the house (~$3500), but I'm sure their will be others unexpected expenses.
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
High spending year for us. About 2% over plan. New car, new roof and generator for lake house. Eating out, gifts, well over plan. I won't give actual figures as it would open me up to significant ridicule even though we can well afford it. I am quite impressed with the discipline displayed by people on this site.
Not much discipline required for me. Can't spend a lot of money if you don't have a lot of money. On the other hand, if someone has a lot of money then there's no reason to ridicule them for spending a lot of money.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Not much discipline required for me. Can't spend a lot of money if you don't have a lot of money. On the other hand, if someone has a lot of money then there's no reason to ridicule them for spending a lot of money.
You might be surprised about how many people spend more than they have. Anyway, sounds like you have a good handle on your spending.

Where an individual spends their money is so personal that it is challenging to compare both overall levels and their components. In the end knowing where you spend it and not spending more than you can afford are probably the most important things.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Not too worried.....probably after the first week in Sept when the kids go back to school. Snow is fine with me anyway.....makes the place look really nice. Spent a couple of days cross country skiing there on Spring break in college. Others go to the sun......I went with a buddy in college (he was a Minnesotan going to my college here in Wash) for a week of CC skiing in Colorado and then Yellowstone on the way back.
If you're sleeping in a cabin then Sept. may be fine but I wouldn't tent camp at that time.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If you're sleeping in a cabin then Sept. may be fine but I wouldn't tent camp at that time.
My wife's first husband was an avid hiker in the UK. Drug her around on a lot of early marriage time hikes up a lot of the peaks in N England. She eventually started wishing he would just take a small step off a big cliff (she says she actually mentioned it to him once). She hated it then......and would might shoot me if I even mentioned it now. Best part she says was the pub afterwards. We would be in it more for the wildlife as much as anything. Probably stay in a motel somewhere if possible.....although last time I checked online, the prices in that area were more than I like to spend. My wife doesn't mind snow as long as she is dressed right. She takes the dogs for an hour walk every morning and a couple of weeks ago it was right around 0 degrees and it didn't bother her much (except she said her snot started to freeze).
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #66

The best thing in this thread to me were to see that spending category split names and definitions. Some were by store type (easy to do, but what about super walmart?) But that wasn't the point...

Best separate category: Video Games.
Second best category: Girly stuff.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #67

Quote:
I..and I cut down on the golfing this last year and only went 20-30 times.

20-30 times…that would break my budget for sure. I only golfed once this year and shot a legitimate 78. I like to stop while I'm ahead, so that may have been my last round of golf…ever!
NanoSour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
20-30 times…that would break my budget for sure. I only golfed once this year and shot a legitimate 78. I like to stop while I'm ahead, so that may have been my last round of golf…ever!
Ya got me then.....I usually sit around a 10 handicap unless I play more than twice a week......or heavens forbid.....practice.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does anyone include reserve funds in their annual expenses for eventual replacement of big ticket items? For example, if you drive a car approximately 10 years before replacing it, and your car typically costs around $30K, do you include $3K in reserves each year? Or do you just have an extraordinarily high year of expenses in the year you buy the car?

I would think without these types of reserves we might underestimate our true long term expenses?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Poor Mrs. Mandolin! I wouldn't eat American chocolate, either, if I'd grown up on the Euro stuff. I assume you are both familiar with this site for British goodies:

www.britishdelights.com

Exchange rates and shipping costs make these items pricey, but the site often holds sales on food items which are getting close to their sell-by date.

Amethyst

Quote:
my wife. She hates American chocolate so she doesn't indulge as often as she would like.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for another sidetrack, but there was some snow on the ground in Yellowstone in July during our visit. Some roads are usually closed until late May, or June. Campgrounds for RVs or tent camping are usually booked way in advance. Same with the lodges.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Does anyone include reserve funds in their annual expenses for eventual replacement of big ticket items? For example, if you drive a car approximately 10 years before replacing it, and your car typically costs around $30K, do you include $3K in reserves each year? Or do you just have an extraordinarily high year of expenses in the year you buy the car?

I would think without these types of reserves we might underestimate our true long term expenses?
I myself don't, but then I am less than 2 years into true retirement, so I do not know if my opinion is worthwhile.

I will just take a bump on WR that year. I figure that if my average WR is only 3.5% and I still have SS coming, I should be OK. I do not think I will live till my 90s either.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
High spending year for us. About 2% over plan. New car, new roof and generator for lake house.

Even with an economy car, you're still looking at over 20k for those three items. And that only put you 2% over plan Either you did a good job cutting elsewhere or you have wickedly expensive plan!
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Not for a decamillionaire...

Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Poor Mrs. Mandolin! I wouldn't eat American chocolate, either, if I'd grown up on the Euro stuff. I assume you are both familiar with this site for British goodies:

www.britishdelights.com

Exchange rates and shipping costs make these items pricey, but the site often holds sales on food items which are getting close to their sell-by date.

Amethyst
There is a store here in Spokane called World Market. You can pick up some things there....but like you pointed out....pricey. I really like plain McVities digestives......but NO way am I paying $$ for it. We go in so my wife can buy cans of baked beans. You CAN'T seem to find a plain can of baked beans with nothing else put in with them here. Baked beans are an important food in the UK.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I have been eating chili without beans. Then, recently I learned about Beano, so I may try beans again.

Quote:
... We go in so my wife can buy cans of baked beans. You CAN'T seem to find a plain can of baked beans with nothing else put in with them here. Baked beans are an important food in the UK.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been eating chili without beans. Then, recently I learned about Beano, so I may try beans again.
To a chili purist, that's like saying you've been a real man but since learning about estrogen pills you're thinking about batting for the other team...
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #78
Administrator

We came in under budget this year. To celebrate DW's going to get a new computer. I'm looking for it now, hope to buy today or tomorrow.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't get this.. Doesn't anyone on this site give to Charity or gift to family at all??
joeprintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeprintz View Post
I don't get this.. Doesn't anyone on this site give to Charity or gift to family at all??
What makes you think we don't? I specifically stated in my list here on page 1 that gifts are included in my "miscellaneous" category.

I don't have a separate category for books any more either, but that doesn't mean I am completely illiterate.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote