5% to 10% 103 64.38%
10% to 15% 33 20.63%
15% to 25% 5 3.13%
Over 25% 5 3.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not retired yet.

Some of my large single stock holdings did not move much: Ebay.
Some even went down: GE, GOOG/GOOGL.

Out of total asset gain of 12%, my investment return subcontracting contributions, savings, and giving, is about 5%.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I only did 5.9%. Did OK on fixed income, though moving more into short duration hurt some. Good returns on most equity funds, stellar on REIT (though very small %) BUT gave quite a bit back on Intl, EM & Energy Sector funds. But no changes planned...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm too lazy to do my total portfolio... and my old 401k had contributions (since I retired in June)... and my investment account had both contributions/withdrawals during the year... The math gets too complicated.

Ok - I used that downloaded bogleheads spreadsheet linked above - (I outsourced the math, in other words)... I input all my 401k contributions, and input my withdrawals (I took a chunk out of investments to pay off the mortgage and to set aside for our big vacation and planned home improvements.) With all that - my portfolio got a 9.52 portfolio return, 9.51% investor return.

Sweet.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Up a little over 5% on a 53% equity portfolio. It's well diversified, which means I only have about 14% of the portfolio in US large cap which did so well in 2014. My REIT funds did super well. Bond funds overall did quite nicely for 2014.

In rebalancing I am adding to my international funds.

I don't hold high yield, emerging markets, or energy as asset classes, and 2014 was a good year to avoid them. Of course some of my funds have positions in them.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #45

I know this will sound stupid... I've never calculated my annual investment returns....

think I'll make it in ER?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I know this will sound stupid... I've never calculated my annual investment returns....

Does not sound stupid to me....people calculate thier returns for various reasons, but as long as you know your goal and are making progress at a reasonable rate it doesn't really matter. OTOH if you want to optimize your gains, you do have choices about how to do so and it's valuable to see if your choices are tracking to some benchmark. All our retirement plans post the return for individual accounts in the annual statement, so it's not really necessary to do anything to see your results. That said, I do know some folks that don't even look at thier statements.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post

I'm with you bingybear. Trying to calculate an accurate gain would be difficult. So many of you have it to a decimal point accuracy...I can only applaud and stand in awe!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #48

I just eye the balance... and guess if I'm on track.

I could easily calculate the gain... just haven't cared to. The absolute return is not the important point... If I can FIRE is what is important
Old 01-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #49
Administrator

8.25% with a roughly 65/35 split.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #50

8.9% net across all our accounts most of which are wrap accounts holding mostly managed funds, two ETFs, and 50 individual stocks.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm starting to feel as if I have a poor asset allocation. I am 100% equities, and according to Vanguard's personal performance calculator, I only got about a 7.0% return for the year.

The S&P churned out about 12%. I've listed my portfolio below. Any one have any suggestions or idea why I only got 7.0% for year?

I did sell a decent chunk of my portfolio for a downpayment on a condo and a car purchase, but I don't think that should affect the way the return is calculated.

(All Vanguard ETFs)

VSS International, Small Cap
VWO International, Emerging Markets
VUG Domestic, Large Cap Growth
VO Domestic, Mid Cap
VOO
VB
VXUS
VTV
younginvestor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
I'm starting to feel as if I have a poor asset allocation. I am 100% equities, and according to Vanguard's personal performance calculator, I only got about a 7.0% return for the year.

The S&P churned out about 12%. I've listed my portfolio below. Any one have any suggestions or idea why I only got 7.0% for year?

I did sell a decent chunk of my portfolio for a downpayment on a condo and a car purchase, but I don't think that should affect the way the return is calculated.

(All Vanguard ETFs)

VSS International, Small Cap
VWO International, Emerging Markets
VUG Domestic, Large Cap Growth
VO Domestic, Mid Cap
VOO
VB
VXUS
VTV
When you have a diversified portfolio, you'll never beat the top returning asset class. But you never know in advance which will be the top performing asset class, so it's best to keep a well diversified portfolio.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

7.8% AA 50/50

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
bison74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #54
Administrator

7% as calculated using XIRR. VG and FIDO sites both show over 8% for the funds invested there, but I do have a bunch of I-Bonds holding most of the 12% "cash".

40/48/12 was EOY AA.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops. I didn't mean to post my response here too since I just created a thread on it.
younginvestor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We ended up at 13.5% for the year, which is close enough to the S&P500 benchmark for me. We're about 3% cash, 4% bonds, and the rest in equities.

This will end up a bit lower b/c I don't know what the taxes will be on the cap gains and dividends in the taxable account.

And though we're not supposed to include contributions, I am proud of our savings rate, so I'm gonna say anyway: Our net worth went up 19%, so that extra 5.5% was from savings.

I don't post here often, but I still check in from time to time. This community is really something. I looked back and saw that my first post was almost 8 years ago, and in it I said I had been lurking here for "a few" years. That's impressive. I've made some serious progress toward financial independence in the past ten years, and I owe a lot of it to the accumulated knowledge of the people on this board.

So, Thanks. Hope everyone has a safe 2015.
tricky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #57
gone traveling

Will the real return please stand up ?

What did the SP500 return this past year? I've seen here 11 12 and 13 percent. What's the de facto return including dividends ? Bueller? Bueller?

Not that it matters. What matters is total net worth increase ...

(New Val - old Val) / old Val = % chg

I'm up for the prior year !

Consensus is the international funds lagged the past year. Reits soared.

What REITS are you in ?

What do you think international will do in next 12 months?

My opinion is non U.S. equities funds are dead money for a while but good Oppy to dollar cost avg in if your asset allocation was out of whack due to usa equity gains for past couple years. May pick specific countries and do ok - eg. China but broadly will be slow going in those equity markets.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

My portfolio performance for 2014: 5.66%

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Morningstar puts the total return of the S&P at 13.69% the index was up 11.5% the remainder was due to dividends and changes in the index.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
7% as calculated using XIRR. VG and FIDO sites both show over 8% for the funds invested there, but I do have a bunch of I-Bonds holding most of the 12% "cash".
40/48/12 was EOY AA.
Wouldn't bonds be the asset "bonds", not cash. I don't think I bonds would be considered even short term assets... such as short term.

or am I missing something?