Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Not a crazy question at all. (IMO) You only go this way once.

I've had several Vettes over the past ~15 years or so. (Currently a Z51 C6) I was thinking of getting the new Z06 C7 this year but I've been hearing of some very early model problems with the car so I'll probably hold off a while, or maybe just go with a base C7. (e.g. check out this horror story: First 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 Engine Destroyed With Just 891 Miles On The Clock

Also, if you are not a member of the Corvette forum you might want to think about joining. (you can learn a lot there) But be aware that the members of that forum have more passion and opinions about their cars than members here do about LBYM, 4% withdrawal rates, what stocks to buy, etc.

Home - Corvetteforum

As far as a high cost "toy" , I just keep reminding myself that I get an average of 26 to 27 MPG's with the car, which is a lot better than anything else I drive.
I read an article in Car and Driver or Motor Trend magazine recently that after looking at the failures, GM attributed the early engine failure to either defective oil filters or another reason related to the filters. I can't remember which magazine but the article was penned by one of the paid editorial staff.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
One of my excoworkers has a 65. He is the 2nd owner - bought it around 1968 or so when he got home from Vietnam. Real nice car. I'd trade mine for a 65 in a heartbeat. I know about the testosterone deal also - I used to have some in 2001 when I bought mine. Drove it several times over 150mph. Now I might hit 75 mph on occasion.
I wouldn't mind getting one like my old '65 back, but in nice shape it would cost near as much as a new one or one a couple of years old.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Not a crazy question at all. (IMO) You only go this way once.

I've had several Vettes over the past ~15 years or so. (Currently a Z51 C6) I was thinking of getting the new Z06 C7 this year but I've been hearing of some very early model problems with the car so I'll probably hold off a while, or maybe just go with a base C7. (e.g. check out this horror story: First 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 Engine Destroyed With Just 891 Miles On The Clock

Also, if you are not a member of the Corvette forum you might want to think about joining. (you can learn a lot there) But be aware that the members of that forum have more passion and opinions about their cars than members here do about LBYM, 4% withdrawal rates, what stocks to buy, etc.

Home - Corvetteforum

As far as a high cost "toy" , I just keep reminding myself that I get an average of 26 to 27 MPG's with the car, which is a lot better than anything else I drive.

My friend has had his for about 3 weeks. I had a ride last weekend. That's my daily driver behind the Z06. I get 11-12 mpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141213_163109.jpg (333.7 KB, 30 views)
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #24
gone traveling

I had always wanted a vette since I was a child, so I scratched my itch when my mid-life crisis hit. There was the cost of the car and then I spent another large sum modifying it. I went on after that with several more exotic cars, so hopefully you can avoid that affliction. Nevertheless, better to get it out of your system now, than to have regrets later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mallett pic.jpg (59.8 KB, 27 views)
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you can financially swing the Vette--go for it. As the first of a model changeover, it's going to look new for a long, long time. And if it's any consolidation, a Corvette is the best value in high performance transportation in the WORLD.

My play car is a XK Jaguar convertible. I bought it with 50K miles, but new it's $35K more than a Vette--not a good value new.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
That's my daily driver behind the Z06. I get 11-12 mpg
I know what you mean. My daily driver is a 2013 Tundra 4X4. It gets about 13 to 14 mpg. My C6 cost twice what Tundra did and gets about twice the gas mileage BUT at least 10 times the fun factor. (Maybe more on some days)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
It is OK to have a new car, or other luxuries, assuming you have other financial stuff in order. You state that you can ER now, but have 5 years to go until you actually retire. So enjoy the new Corvette.

LBYM does not mean you have to sacrifice on everything and not be able to have nicer or more than minimum. It means using sound financial practices and avoiding bad debt. You could interpret sound practices as doing the savings so you can have a new Corvette.
++++++ I couldn't agree more! Perfectly stated.
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
My friend has had his for about 3 weeks. I had a ride last weekend. That's my daily driver behind the Z06. I get 11-12 mpg
That's a hot looking ride.

Friend of ours has a red 2013 C6 Grand Sport convertible, also sweet.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I wouldn't mind getting one like my old '65 back, but in nice shape it would cost near as much as a new one or one a couple of years old.
I know what you mean. The guy I worked with spent more on new brakes a few years ago than he paid for the car in the 60's.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #30

Quote:
I know what you mean. My daily driver is a 2013 Tundra 4X4. It gets about 13 to 14 mpg. My C6 cost twice what Tundra did and gets about twice the gas mileage BUT at least 10 times the fun factor. (Maybe more on some days)
My C6 and F150 Platinum were close in cost but the C6 got about 28 miles highway. We would have had 1 of each generation but I traded my C6 for the C7. Ran out of garage space and my husband didn't want to park one in the trailer. We take them all out to give them road time and not real convenient getting one out of the trailer where it's parked.
On the C6 we had the dual exhaust option but it was never LOUD. So I got something called "Mild to Wild". http://www.amazon.com/2006-2013-Corv.../dp/B001RK54EY Now on the C7 generation you have that option built right into the vette. It's under "engine sound management" just a few taps on the screen.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's a hot looking ride.

Friend of ours has a red 2013 C6 Grand Sport convertible, also sweet.
'
For us the corvette is a fun car. We like all vehicles and have had Mustangs, T-Birds (big bird not little bird), Chevelle's & GTO's. I appreciate the work that you put in your vehicle no matter what the brand.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I had always wanted a vette since I was a child, so I scratched my itch when my mid-life crisis hit. There was the cost of the car and then I spent another large sum modifying it. I went on after that with several more exotic cars, so hopefully you can avoid that affliction. Nevertheless, better to get it out of your system now, than to have regrets later.
Now there's a money ride. How long did you have it? All of ours are stock though quite a few of our friends do some major mods.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #33

One of the best things about being FI is being able to enjoy some of the finer things in life. While you're working is probably the best time to make such a purchase--it's really not crazy if you have the savings for it and it does not delay your retirement. But I agree with another poster, pause and think about it for a few months, and if it remains as desirable then, go for it.

I purchased my fully loaded new C5 in 1999. It was the most I ever paid for a car at that time and I wondered at the time if I was a little insane. But it was such a fun powerful ride that I still smile thinking about that car.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Not a Vette, but she is my baby

2005 brand new (FIREd in 2007). I'm the original owner.
5 speed, 6 cylinder with lots of pep

I have a short window of time to drive her, but so what ? She's a FUN ride.

Note the big SE grin on my face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MustangChick2010.jpg (40.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't own one... But love the Vette

This topic is a very welcome change from the "frugal" thread.
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #36

[QUOTE=freebird5825;1538150]Not a Vette, but she is my baby

2005 brand new (FIREd in 2007). I'm the original owner.

I have a short window of time to drive her, but so what ? She's a FUN ride.
QUOTE]

She is a sweet ride. The point of our cars is the same, they're a fun ride.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

A picture of the beast on it's last wash day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140330-DSC_0898.jpg (358.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A picture of the beast on it's last wash day
What's the color, Ron? Auto/manual?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

It's silver - auto(unfortunately) I wish now that I got a manual.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's silver - auto(unfortunately) I wish now that I got a manual.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Trade for a C6 or C7 with paddle shifters. Best of both worlds.

Also a tip for anyone considering a Vette (new or used). I'm not sure about the C7's but the C5's and C6's came stock with Goodyear run-flats. IMO, they are terrible tires. I switched mine to Michelin run-flats and found them to be "much" better. A lot better wet traction, smoother ride, a lot quieter, better tire mileage and still Y speed rated. I think the cost was about the same or maybe even cheaper.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote