Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1.7% on 63% equities, 16% bonds, 18% hard assets, 3% cash. Much of that is external to the US.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

performance
Old 04-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #202
Confused about dryer sheets

performance

most of ours have been in the vanguard healthcare fund 9.64 YTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
For reference, a 60/40 stock/bond portfolio such as the Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth fund is up 2.2% through March 31st.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #203

2.8% YTD (64% stock, 31% bond, 5% cash)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #204

70/0/30 (counting CD's as cash in lieu of bonds)
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #205
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I did a lot of short term trading in 2014 and it came back to bite me on the butt, come tax time. I'm only in the 25% marginal bracket, and overall, my total federal tax bill was only about 11.7% of AGI. But, it was still a shock, when I found out just how much I still had to cough up. I usually owe about $2-3K on federal taxes, and usually get back around $500-1000 on the state/local. But this time around, the bill was around $8500 for federal and $2200 state/local!

I'm trying to chill out on the short term stuff this year.

Hey now, Andre...Don't minimize the pain of a 25% tax bracketer, because I am one too and it feels painful especially after tossing in the 6% bones the state gets.
As you know the 11.7% AGI numbers means little because this tax is coming from the top number not an average number. They say don't let the tax tail wag the dog. But I do.... No CDs and bonds for me anymore after giving up 31% of very little for too long. I take my chances with preferred stocks for the yield and pay the 15% fed rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #206
Full time employment: Posting here.

+.85%. I have performance envy.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
+.85%. I have performance envy.
I bet some of us will wish we were you when the big slide comes though.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #208
Recycles dryer sheets

Up about 6.1% with 4213 shares of Apple stock and the rest being in Vanguard Total Stock Fund. About 96% equities.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #209
Full time employment: Posting here.

After the latest job growth report, and it's likely impact on Fed rate hike, we may have a little time before that big slide....
Old 04-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #210
Recycles dryer sheets

2.13% return on 70/30, but additional 1.86% added to balances in frenzy to max deferrals before mid-year ER.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niuatoputapu View Post
...added to balances in frenzy to max deferrals before mid-year ER.
My 1.7% is actually is "everything". So on the plus side are gains and on the minus side is the spending. The calculation with everything is easiest...add up all the balances on 12/31 and then again on 3/31. No adjustments required for shifts into or out of "spending accounts". But I suppose I might be able to increase the rate a bit by adjusting for spending, but isn't worth it...after all, this is just a "gee whiz" exercise (nothing actionable comes out of it).
Old 04-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

It would never have occurred to me to check at such a short interval, but looking at the accounts I have a 3% return on my roughly 60/40 portfolio YTD. That's nice, but not really significant IMHO.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIs View Post
most of ours have been in the vanguard healthcare fund 9.64 YTD
We have held this fund since 1990. The performance is awesome, but our allocation to this fund is relatively small. In hindsight, we should have shifted more $$ into it.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #214
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a good thread.
It motivated me to put my "outside account" information on the Vanguard page of Balances & Holdings....what an eye opener!

Anyhoo....I have a 3.5% return first quarter on a apprx 60/40 portfolio. The bad news is way over bought in Biotech - which explains why I beat the market. Also my small caps got back in the game...so that helped.

If U guys think a 25% tax bracket is bad...I'm retired & in a 33% + tax bracket! OUCH!! (Interest income on Owner Contracts)

I thought I had done a good job keeping the investments in tax mitigating places...like munis & index funds...but I now see I can do better....Live & Learn...
Old 04-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #215
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
This is a good thread.
The bad news is way over bought in Biotech - which explains why I beat the market. Also my small caps got back in the game...so that helped.

If you beat the market - because you had good individual stock picks in biotech and small caps - why is that bad news ? I would opinion that it is a reason for a pat on the back / celebration ?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #216

Quote:
This is a good thread.
If U guys think a 25% tax bracket is bad...I'm retired & in a 33% + tax bracket!
That's not a bad problem to have!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... The bad news is way over bought in Biotech - which explains why I beat the market. Also my small caps got back in the game...so that helped.
It is never bad to be in the right sector.

The only problem is if one fails to get out at the top, and gives up all the gain.

Or perhaps biotech will keep going higher and higher, and one never has to sell.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It would never have occurred to me to check at such a short interval... <snip>
I agree that the first quarter's results aren't a very good predictor of year-end but I find that it helps every quarter or so to look at what the portfolio has done vs. the market and explain any differences. I'm not in one of those "set it and forget it" mixes of Index funds (yeah, shame on me) so I want to make sure that there are no adjustments I need to make. Our Berkshire dropped 5%, as I mentioned earlier. No reason to dump it, but a good explanation of why we underperformed compared to some of the rest of the people here.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I know I had exactly 1.7 million in invest-able assets about 4 years ago. I also know I have today plus and minus 50k 3.22 million in invest-able assets.
I don't look at 3 months results because it makes no sense...... I think I made about 2% last 3 months but do not quote me on it.

But you can quote me on making 90% in last 48 months.
Congratulations on your performance. Given these gains, do you think about moving a portion out of equities as you approach ER? If I were in your shoes, it would be very tempting to me to do so.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hey now, Andre...Don't minimize the pain of a 25% tax bracketer, because I am one too and it feels painful especially after tossing in the 6% bones the state gets.
As you know the 11.7% AGI numbers means little because this tax is coming from the top number not an average number. They say don't let the tax tail wag the dog. But I do.... No CDs and bonds for me anymore after giving up 31% of very little for too long. I take my chances with preferred stocks for the yield and pay the 15% fed rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The state of Maryland hit me for about 7%, in addition to that 11.7% of AGI I shelled out (or am about to, since I haven't paid it yet) for Federal. Maryland's tax rates don't seem so bad when you look them up online, topping out at 5.75%, but there's also county tax on top of that. It varies by county, but in my case it's 3.2%.

I just pulled my 2013 taxes, and one reason my bill was so bad this year was that my AGI went up about $47K, compared to last year. I knew it would be more than 2013, but had no idea it would be that much more! Also, while a lot of that was thanks to excessive trading, it turns out that a good deal of it was also from LT capital gains. I had a few mutual funds that declared a lot more than they normally do.

I'm wondering if I should start paying estimated taxes. It might lessen the pain somewhat, by spreading it out over the year.