2015 YTD investment performance thread

Are you guys talking about rebalancing between asset classes (stocks, bonds, etc) or rebalancing sectors within domestic equities? utrecht's post where he refers to sectors has me confused.

My personal portfolio is made up of some index funds and some managed funds. I have a few sector funds that I believe in (health care, Consumer Staples and REITS) that increase returns and lower volatility at the same time, but mostly I have large, medium and small cap funds. I've held this AA for a long time with some very slight adjustments and my portfolio has outperformed my benchmarks.

I haven't always rebalanced between funds but I did a lot of back testing this AA and the returns of my portfolio are higher when I rebalance my portfolio each year between all of my funds.

From 1/1/2005 to present

SP500..6.1%
Wellington...7.8%
My rebalanced 60/40 portfolio...8.2%
My un-rebalanced portfolio...7.4%

I would not think it appropriate to exclude dividends as papadad suggests.

Dividend is part of investment return.

Tax payout is not included in my return.

The recent market surge put me in positive territory. I hope to stay that way by the year's end.

Finally got back in the black today, and it feels good.

YTD 0.014% positive!

Finally got back in the black today, and it feels good.

YTD 0.014% positive!

Right there with you, turned positive yesterday, YTD .06% positive today.. YEH

(though did notice that my tax deferred (which are my lazy target date type funds) was still in the RED and my by taxable accounts were GREEN which I actively manage.

Slightly above flat YTD after considering withdrawals (ie; beginning balance - withdrawls ~ yesterday's balance).

I was in cash after June or July, not the whole year. I'm preparing to transfer my 401k money to Vanguard so that's why.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I just checked yesterday and including all accounts I am up almost 7%. Sounds good and it is for this year, but it is mostly a mirage. Most of my money is in illiquid preferred stocks that have really jumped recently selling 3 and 4 dividends above par and past call. That is crazy to buy at those prices. But it would be next to impossible to sell all of my issues at last quoted price and even if I could, I couldn't ever get back in at a dignified price. They will drop again, but the dividends will still continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2.84% YTD based on price, but 4.27% on total return. Helps to have PF, GE, and MSFT in my porfolio.

6.5% YTD as of today including dividends.
100% large cap stock portfolio (US-65%, International-35%) which has underperformed the benchmark MSCI World Index in 2014 with a 7.94% return and also thru August in 2015.
Patience is finally beginning to pay off. :)

Better than negative

The poster above me has over 6% gain. I'm a schmear over 1%, but I'll take it. I was taking a bath over minus 10% a while ago, so I'm happy now

Last edited:
Up 2%. My trading accounts are up 11% & 14%. The rest are mixed, barely a hair over 0%. All the gains are from the short term trades.

I'm up to down 2.48% (actually have some gold stocks at a gain, after all the tax loss swapping).

As of Nov 1st, XIRR is 0.67% (takes into account all withdrawals)

XIRR is 1.23% as of 11/1 including monthly expense withdrawals. Currently 57/37/6 (stocks/bonds/cash). Stocks & Bonds are 40/40/20 3-Fund portfolio of VTSAX/VBTLX/VTIAX.

I ran my numbers this morning, and it was a nice little bounce back. My return is about 3.8% YTD.

I'm too lazy to look back to my earlier replies in this thread, but I think I was up as high as 5.5-6% back in May, and off as much as 2.5-3.5% in September.

While it's nowhere near the double-digit jumps I had back in 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013, it still beats the alternative!

2015 has been a roller coaster and have been unable to gain any traction in my personal portfolio / mini hedge fund.

Based on mark to market, time weighted return, excluding any cash in or cash out but including dividends, margin interest and commissions- am up 3.4% YTD with a volatility range in 2015 of +20% to -12%. Unsettling to be sure.

S&P 500 is up 4.2% so this lags the market.

One big problem was that I panicked and sold a big slug of AAPL at around $113. This created a significant LT capital gain that I will need to deal with come tax time, at top marginal rate plus the 3.8% ACA surcharge.

Sent via ER iPad app

I ran my numbers this morning, and it was a nice little bounce back. My return is about 3.8% YTD.

I'm too lazy to look back to my earlier replies in this thread, but I think I was up as high as 5.5-6% back in May, and off as much as 2.5-3.5% in September.

While it's nowhere near the double-digit jumps I had back in 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013, it still beats the alternative!

+1 but mine is 2.18% (annualized). It is nice to be solidly in positive territory again, but that could change.

These posts made me finally go look at what this bounce back has done to our portfolio.

YTD as of 11/4 = +5.2%, nice bounce from end of 3Q YTD of -7.5%

Bounce came from rebound of energy stocks + large cash investment at the August correction into stocks and funds that had been heavily impacted by low oil prices and/or the correction.

3% YTD as of yesterday including dividends. I'll take it. I did notice though that the stuff I picked myself is returning 5%, being dragged lower by the 1% return of Vanguard Index funds that I have which are professionally managed... hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom