2015 YTD investment performance thread

Up 2.03 % since 12/31/2014. :) 80 Percent of portfolio is in my beloved Stable Value Fund.

We finished down 2.16% for the year. Overall I am okay with that as we are 85-90% equities and have about 5% in VBR, and another 6% split between VSS and VWO. Everything else is in Vanguard Target Date 2045.

Just finished plugging in the numbers-
Main 401K, 82% of investments, +5.3%
Rollover IRA, 16% of investments, -1.5%
Gambling account, 2% of investments, -6.5% :facepalm:

Up 3.9% with no idea whether I am calculating that correctly. Considering how many of you are reporting losses I'm guessing I did it wrong.

What I did was I took the difference between last year's Dec 31st numbers and this year's numbers, subtracted my contributions, then divided the result by last year's total. Is that the right way?

Reran my numbers, this time it wasn't at 2am so my brain was working a little better.

I am up 1.6% for the year. Still quite happy with that, all things considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Barely holding on, but holding on nonetheless at +1.07%

Except for my Rollover IRA, my CD's did better.

A quick check of the Vanguard "Personal Performance" page shows a 2.1% return for the period 12/1/2014 to 12/1/2015, the only recent one year period I can get it to actually calculate a return for.

Another slightly down response, -1.3%. Could be worse, could be raining.

(+)1.52% including Dividends (1.76%)
(-0.24%) Portfolio return excluding Dividends.

-2.5%, after adjusting for withdrawal.

Quicken shows 2.5% increase in net worth (excluding house, cars, etc).
Not sure how to calculate investment return due to contributions, conversions etc?

I ran my numbers this morning...Rate of Return was 1.56%. Increase in portfolio was about 4.2%, thanks to additional investments.

Kind of a "meh" year overall, but it could always be worse!

+0.4% YTD

Glad to be a tiny bit above the s&P YTD. Especially since we have a fair chunk in natural resources and emerging markets.

Just did the annual update in my spreadsheet this morning. IRA/401K investments lost 0.5% for us, end of trading 2014 to end of trading 2015. Pretty close to the market performance. Probably would have been ahead if I used Dec 30th as a cut off.

I don't trust the % gain/loss that Fidelity provides on their web. it never matches anything.

Ended the year with a gain of 3.17% on 48.0% Cash/Equiv, 48.5% Equities, 3.5% Bonds. Quicken tells me I did a couple 100ths of a percent better than that on investment accounts, but I include cash value life insurance and HSA accounts to calculate total return, as they are part of the total picture. Wishing everyone a prosperous 2016.

Negative 0.8% for 2015.

Last negative year was 2011 when the portfolio was down 1.88%.

Overall running -2% for 2015 (accounting for additions/removals). Better than I would have guessed based on the performance of components.

Best assets were:
CDs: +3%
International small stocks: +9%
US REITS: +2.42%

Worst assets were:
Emerging Markets: -15.8%
US Small & Value stocks: -2 to -6%
International Value: -6%

0.66 % positive on a 50/40/10 AA

At least my first full year of retirement did not end on a negative note.

Last edited:
Looks like I get to be an also ran this year.

Time weighted return exclusive of any withdrawals or deposits but inclusive of dividends , margin interest and brokerage fees was -11.8% versus +1.4% for the S&P benchmark.

You can see quite a bit of volatility and the big drop off in December. AAPL was a negative as well as the energy names. This was my first negative year since 2010 so yes it stings a bit.

The good news is 2016 is a new year.

FffJFaG09-ZKK3J7_3b2czeU16BPAcOsWrat24NHdF6xHL_HlgaxkHAvgPMeBg6LAaZthDU8-tXhJ_anrPrK5TLW_vVYqP3bYl3Q_oFSURKJumbudORd2avX0sOlfRvsIQV6LyeUzTmapmiqYODklDf5gOmstuYyp3YIPrkamLG3SMmBDi-jM937hKUe1F3h3fORZQ0YLGH-CwaVSdwT8HJwKZEA1TwBEUQ94zyjg6IxEeNdtKlJzULdLFKjJ6bUAntCvzVFUBT-wOz0h5G7Y20EzGQitwJE4MZs_geA0oev5cPun5W-czX6BOKXffOAEWfZhIJQbNeiYgSMFqE2QCpu3K_UMhb-iFZvnazsrdZR9PZtatO9ZYbX9jCiMSe2fN2_0dRYAk9HOOGORsnfHLcFGNQ6R5T5uModfLNOlo6amqq2XZ90gMN86104PwKa28dPMdDYhoWrZYTSFcAbUhLYrl5Z7BNzlys_y8KkfQJ7mQIYWTTyDIm3N3nR_BI8ZO_zr2AAhdiOrGPaBq7MeZy_1t8moZxpoycTQ9GVi0UgiSYk-sqtokT8K9hGp6cSv_Bs=w933-h435-no

Last edited:

Yeah, don't believe the financial news outlets when they say stuff like
The S&P 500, which tracks the biggest U.S.-listed companies closed down almost 1 percent on Thursday at 2,043 points. It ended the year down 0.73 percent after three straight years of double digit gains.
They always ignore the >2% dividend yield of the S&P500.

If I add back to our portfolio what we withdrew this year, the total equals our portfolio balance on January 1, 2015. Return of 0.0%.

Back
Top Bottom