Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 AM   #541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

about 3% ytd on a 45/45/10 mix

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #542
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I feel bad after reading this - my portfolio, beginning year balance is down 2.2%, dividends paid around 54K, (invested in High Dividend oil and consumables -Added around 200k in 2015 so portfolio did grow but only from dividends and monies added.

I still feel bad

Old 12-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
Well I feel bad after reading this - my portfolio, beginning year balance is down 2.2%, dividends paid around 54K, (invested in High Dividend oil and consumables -Added around 200k in 2015 so portfolio did grow but only from dividends and monies added.

I still feel bad
I would not feel bad about that situation.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #544
gone traveling

Loss of 2.2% versus benchmark... so far with one trading week remaining in 2015.

The loss seem to be mostly from the international fund VXUS, which is down significantly for the year. Specific sector components within VXUS seem to be energy as well as the unhedged FX situation a la stronger dollar.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #545
Give me a forum ...

Down 0.47% YTD.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #546

Just ran my numbers for the year. All things combined, down 1.3%.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #547
Administrator

It's all too theoretical for me, being in the distribution phase and having bought a house this year.

I suppose I could sit down and look at the changes in share prices for each fund this year, and distributions, and determine what would have happened to a theoretical portfolio with my AA which remained pristine and untouched all year.

But as much as I love numbers and calculations of imaginary scenarios (I do!), still I'm not inclined to do this today.

I can give a lower boundary for my portfolio performance, though, by giving real numbers instead of something theoretical. In reality my portfolio is down 4.6% including living off of it, and also including the expenses of buying a new, more expensive home in cash, moving, and selling the old paid off home.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In reality my portfolio is down 4.6% including living off of it, plus the expenses of buying a new, more expensive home in cash, moving, and selling the old paid off home.
Similar calculations here. Living expenses and buying two new cars for cash in the past six months took me into 1.3% negative territory this year.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #549
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like a break-even year for me assuming not much changes in the market this week, right now down 0.04%. 60/33/7 but will move to 60/35/5 as we spend down more cash next year.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #550
Recycles dryer sheets

Also just finished tallying up everything for the yr. Due primarily to the small portion of tax deferred in my megacorp employer stock plus some lucky choices in stock purchases early in the yr in self managed. up 3.5% for 2015, my last yr of 12 months of full time employment.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #551
Give me a forum ...

Last night I went on Vanguard and printed out the monthly balances over time. Took the amount we came into the year with, subtracted the amount we contributed during the year, and double checked against the 12/2015 cumulative returns. Rocked a staggering 0.7085% (yes, under 1%) for the year. Given that about 1/3 of the investments were in double tax free munis paying about 3% I think we'll be showing a loss to the taxman.

This morning I added up the bonus amounts credited this year from new credit cards and savings/checking accounts and most of the credit card cash back on purchase amounts. Didn't include normal bank interest or CD earnings or some of the cards that give Amazon credits or the hotel card that we've racked up 5-6 free stays on in 2015. Was pretty shocked to find we made about 20% more on the credit card/bank games I've been playing than we made in the market.

1. I wouldn't want to try and live on either our stock earnings or our card/bank special deal earnings - or both!
2. My hat is off to those of you who sail those piratical wall street seas.

3. Glad there are other lucrative things I do well - keeps the cat fed.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #552

Surprisingly, mine is still holding onto 1.77% gain. I moved some money from an old 401K (last July when my numbers were up) to an IRA rollover and picked all new funds and it looks like that helped offset the negatives on other accounts.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #553
Give me a forum ...

Up almost 9%. 6.5% was preferred dividends, all 13 issues up from purchase price too. A lucky bet 3 months ago on EDE that jumped 40% after I bought it also helped. A small CD and small amount of Total Stock Index dragged down my total a bit. It was a perfect case scenario for preferred stocks this year. Im really just investing for the safe yields so ultimately stock values don't matter. In fact I would be better off if they dropped as I invest all dividends and my yield would increase in that scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #554

Quicken says I'm up .87% for the YTD. All things considered, no complaints.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
This morning I added up the bonus amounts credited this year from new credit cards and savings/checking accounts and most of the credit card cash back on purchase amounts. Didn't include normal bank interest or CD earnings or some of the cards that give Amazon credits or the hotel card that we've racked up 5-6 free stays on in 2015. Was pretty shocked to find we made about 20% more on the credit card/bank games I've been playing than we made in the market.
It's amazing how much cheaper you can live playing the CC and bank bonus games, we haven't paid anything other than gas/food/car rental for travel in a few years now. And the car rentals are usually super cheap.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #556

Taxable brokerage account +2.02%
IRA -0.32%
Old 12-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #557

Up 4.15% for taxable account. I have not looked on the other non- taxable account yet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #558
Moderator Emeritus

We are barely positive for the year.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:01 AM   #559
Give me a forum ...

up 1.50%
Old 12-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #560
Recycles dryer sheets

Non Taxed, down just a hair -0.12%, and up 2.5% in taxable.