Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #561
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 100
Down about 3.4%. Most numbers were relatively flat, other than my company stock which had a bad year (darn that Canadian economy!). I was holding too much through our ESPP (18% of portfolio), so have started to sell off and will continue to do so.
__________________

__________________
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #562
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 152
Overall my portfolio is down 2.48% -
 
VANGUARD BD INDEX FD INC TOTAL BD BND 1-Jan-15 20.00%
VANGUARD INTL EQUITY INDEX FDS MSC EMERGING VWO 1-Jan-15 12.00%
VANGUARD INTL EQUITY INDEX FDS MSCI PAC VPL 1-Jan-15 12.00%
VANGUARD INTL EQUITY INDEX FDS MSCI EUROPE VGK 1-Jan-15 12.00%
VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD REIT VNQ 1-Jan-15 8.00%
VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD SMALL CAP VBR 1-Jan-15 12.00%
VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD LARGE CAP VV 1-Jan-15 12.00%
VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD VALUE VTV 1-Jan-15 12.00%
CORE ACCOUNT - CASH CASH 1-Jan-15 0.00%
__________________

__________________
trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #563
Recycles dryer sheets
Happyras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Redmond
Posts: 219
My DW and I are up 1.54% total net of deposits. We had a strong 1st 1/2 that offset a hard fall since July 1. We moved from an aggressive managed portfolio of funds in June, to a Modern Portfolio style with a new adviser at a small investment trust bank on July 1, and as the Bloomberg article points out, it was not a good year for this style of management. The Year Nothing Worked: Stocks, Bonds, Cash Go Nowhere
Bloomberg Business. Our problem was worsened by the manager fee of 0.45% on assets under management, plus fund expenses averaging >0.85%.

We moved 75% of our IRA assets into Wellington and Wellessley VG funds in late December and are going to self manage from here out as I finally retire in January!!!!! (Actually, taking one for the team layoff) Had we done this in July, we would have lost a lot less since July 1. The balance of our accounts are in VG indexed stock funds.

I am trying to evaluate the bond risk on these two balanced funds going forward, as maturities average >9 years. I would be interested to know if those who held these funds as primary investments this year are holding, or increasing diversity with shorter term bond ladders etc. to reduce market rate risk, and adding a little more indexed foreign exposure? Perhaps the subject of another thread.
__________________
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #564
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,285
Up 1.43% YTD.
__________________
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #565
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
My DW and I are up 1.54% total net of deposits. We had a strong 1st 1/2 that offset a hard fall since July 1. We moved from an aggressive managed portfolio of funds in June, to a Modern Portfolio style with a new adviser at a small investment trust bank on July 1, and as the Bloomberg article points out, it was not a good year for this style of management. The Year Nothing Worked: Stocks, Bonds, Cash Go Nowhere
Bloomberg Business. Our problem was worsened by the manager fee of 0.45% on assets under management, plus fund expenses averaging >0.85%.

We moved 75% of our IRA assets into Wellington and Wellessley VG funds in late December and are going to self manage from here out as I finally retire in January!!!!! (Actually, taking one for the team layoff) Had we done this in July, we would have lost a lot less since July 1. The balance of our accounts are in VG indexed stock funds.

I am trying to evaluate the bond risk on these two balanced funds going forward, as maturities average >9 years. I would be interested to know if those who held these funds as primary investments this year are holding, or increasing diversity with shorter term bond ladders etc. to reduce market rate risk, and adding a little more indexed foreign exposure? Perhaps the subject of another thread.
I have about 40% of our liquid NW in Wellesley/Wellington (The majority in Wellesley) and have been retired for 12 years + now living off my investments. As you have probably seen in Vanguards line up, those two funds regularly outperform the equivalent allocation Vanguard balanced index funds and also outperform a roll your own combination of index funds that are weighted similarly to W/W. The W/W combination has certainly experienced the same market conditions with the widely anticipated Fed increase in interest rates this year as the other comparable index funds yet have outperformed YTD, 3,5,and 10 years.

I have no clue what explains this + performance on the part of these actively managed funds but I've certainly enjoyed the benefits during my retirement. At this stage after all these years I'm inclined to allow W/W management to continue to do what they seem to do better than equivalent index funds ( i.e. pick the right stocks and the right quality and duration bonds). Any guarantees this will continue in the future? Of course not - don't be silly.
__________________
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #566
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,086
Down 0.55%

20% Vang. short term bond fund
20% Vang. intermed. term bond fund

the other 60% allocated in various Vanguard indexed funds (the typical stuff...S&P, REIT, International ....)

I'm not quite completely retired, DW is still working, so I'm not in a "distribution" mode, although I soon will be....
__________________
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #567
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
In positive territory, barely...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #568
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,905
We are about flat for the year, mostly due to some bonds I have in a IRA which have gone down to 20% of par value (I bought a wee bit early at 40% of par ).

It is quite funny since they pay 12.5% of face and so are paying a 62.5% yield on the current book price. A bit more than a CD.

I just need one more payment and they will be free. Company has $200m in cash $800m in debt and makes about enough per year at current metal prices to service the debt and pay wages with the first redemption date Jan 2018. Hopefully they can't file chapter 11 before they run out of money

Or copper will go back up maybe.
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
2015 YTD investment performance thread
Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #569
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
2015 YTD investment performance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
We are about flat for the year, mostly due to some bonds I have in a IRA which have gone down to 20% of par value (I bought a wee bit early at 40% of par ).

It is quite funny since they pay 12.5% of face and so are paying a 62.5% yield on the current book price. A bit more than a CD.

I just need one more payment and they will be free. Company has $200m in cash $800m in debt and makes about enough per year at current metal prices to service the debt and pay wages with the first redemption date Jan 2018. Hopefully they can't file chapter 11 before they run out of money

Or copper will go back up maybe.

And I thought I was stretching for yield recently by purchasing a 7.5% yielding preferred stock last week. That was child's play compared to yours, Fermion!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #570
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,401
Yikes!

I have done a bit of bottom fishing in the past, but nothing compared to Fermion. He is fishing at the Mariana Trench!
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #571
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
And I thought I was stretching for yield recently by purchasing a 7.5% yielding preferred stock last week. That was child's play compared to yours, Fermion!
Well these are far from the security of a utility like you purchase. Still, I think they were sold off from some junk bond funds liquidating willy nilly because of redemptions. That is about the only explanation I can come up with for someone selling a 12.5% bond for 20% of par...as long as the company can keep paying the coupon, which it seems they can for at least a couple more years.
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #572
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yikes!



I have done a bit of bottom fishing in the past, but nothing compared to Fermion. He is fishing at the Mariana Trench!

I bet if Fermion started a new thread "list all your bond trades you have bought at 20% or less of par", it wouldn't have many participants.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #573
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yikes!

I have done a bit of bottom fishing in the past, but nothing compared to Fermion. He is fishing at the Mariana Trench!
I just hope I don't sink. Still, I did just get a payment in November and I expect another in May 2016. In November 2016 the bond payment will make me whole and the 62.5% return will just be bonus.

Imagine though compounding that 62.5% return for four years (these are 2019 bonds). I probably don't have the guts to do that.

Imagine if you bought $1,000,000 face of this bond ($2,000,000 face was sold at 20% of par, so that volume is available). Your six month payment on your $200,000 investment would be $62,500, more than the budget of a lot of ER people. The annual payment would be $125,000!

A new thread...how to retire on $200,000.
__________________
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #574
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,401
If you drop your hook in the abyss, you may reel up some creatures like this.


__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #575
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If you drop your hook in the abyss, you may reel up some creatures like this.






If I went fishing in that hole, my hook (wallet) would be swallowed up by that and nothing but a hookless line would be left from that fishing expedition...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #576
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 400
Up 2.38% as of 12/30/15 on a 40/40/20 AA.
__________________
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #577
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,124
I am going to end the year with about 2% up on my investments, a big thanks to my 2 short term trade accounts. They returned 17% and 19%, respectively. The rest didn't fare so much. Chemical, International funds did worse. Technology fund did well. The rests broke just about even.
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #578
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,136
Quicken says I'm up a whopping 0.24% on investments.

Net worth down 3% due to construction costs and DS education costs. I will have a bump in NW when the new house is completed and goes on the tax roles. It will look good, but I'm not sure I will like paying the taxes.
__________________
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #579
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 639
We'll end the year with portfolio return down around -1.9%. Main drag is impact of low oil prices on energy stocks / funds which make up ~ 30% of our equities. Asset allocation currently 88% equity / 12% bonds and cash.
__________________
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #580
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,091
IRR of 1.1%
Total Savings down 2%
__________________

__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YTD Performance Poll 4merKPer FIRE and Money 98 08-09-2011 12:09 PM
YTD 2006 investment Sam FIRE and Money 84 12-04-2006 01:39 PM
What's Your YTD Return? Tommy_Dolitte Young Dreamers 53 12-02-2004 07:10 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.