Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #661
Recycles dryer sheets

Down1% across all accounts. This negative return wasn't as bad as 2008 when my taxable accounts were down 65%. Hopefully 2016 is like 2009 from an investment return perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
KMyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #662
Recycles dryer sheets

My dividend stock laden portfolio finished the year in the black - to the tune of 34 basis points!
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Can't Complain
Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #663
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't Complain

Up 6.11% if you don’t include August. If you want to be a stickler, total portfolio up .94%. Got crushed in my bond portfolio. Down .93%. I follow two separate equity portfolio strategies. Vanguard 70/30 (-.64%) and Fundx Upgrader portfolio. (+3.34%) (This is the second year that Fundx beat Vanguard by close to 400 basis points not including additional tax events.

Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #664
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
My dividend stock laden portfolio finished the year in the black - to the tune of 34 basis points!

That is exactly the amount of interest I earned on my 1 year CD this year. Its finding a new home next month in my IRA brokerage account and being put to work. Maybe this time next year, I wish I was getting those 34 bp's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #665
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Awesome job!
Thanks! I am an ex-USAF (not retired).
We are DINK's working overseas so we can bank most of what we earn without any hardship and we both came with the same planned goal (reached separately however as we met at work overseas ) of being FIRE'd at 50 (April 2017 can't come fast enough!).
The only thing we spend serious money on annually are vacations, other than that we are fairly low maintenance.
Just hanging on until turning 50 in Feb. 2017 for the medical benefit and then we are homeward bound to our house in Cocoa Beach FL.
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #666
Recycles dryer sheets

Did I read that right? I looked up the Fundx upgrader fund and on their web page gross expense fee 1.99% Yahoo says the same.
alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #667
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^
As per Fundx's website (just checking your work) and Morningstar's website, you read it right.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #668
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
Very good. Not many can claim an overall positive return.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #669
Dryer sheet wannabe

4.42%

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #670
Give me a forum ...

Everyone better not look this morning. Dow down 455.

Great start to the new year!
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

I know! I was just wondering if we should start the 2016 YTD thread (Most of us would be underwater)!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

Ughh! Not looking!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I know! I was just wondering if we should start the 2016 YTD thread (Most of us would be underwater)!
Don't mess with what works: robnplunder did the honors for this great (and useful) thread in 2015, and has nothing to do with the broad markets' performance. It'll get done.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #674
Dryer sheet aficionado

Finished our numbers for last year (2015)
Return -1.87% Big hit in foreign equities.
Overall portfolio +5.6% (Because we're still putting in $$)

The numbers still fit within our plan.

Cheers!
2k6_TX_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #675
Give me a forum ...

2015 Performance: 1.06 % Investment Return

71% Equity (59/12 Domestic/International)
0% Bond
29% Cash (mostly CD's with weighted APR=4%))

Crap! What did I do wrong?
I am scared of bonds and bond funds for all the reasons discussed. I have CDs instead but I am thinking of drawing an arbitrary line at 2yrs and calling anything with more than 2 yrs remaining a "bond". If do that, my cash allocation would be about 15%
Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
2015 Performance: 1.06 % Investment Return

71% Equity (59/12 Domestic/International)
0% Bond
29% Cash (mostly CD's with weighted APR=4%))

Crap! What did I do wrong?
I am scared of bonds and bond funds for all the reasons discussed. I have CDs instead but I am thinking of drawing an arbitrary line at 2yrs and calling anything with more than 2 yrs remaining a "bond". If do that, my cash allocation would be about 15%

Dont feel bad, Jazz, I am scared of both bonds and common stocks, so I own neither. I have almost all my money in preferred stocks of mostly investment grade issues yielding between 6-7%.
Everyone needs to do their own due diligence and what feels comfortable to them, but when I am getting 400 BP's above 10 year and 500 above inflation, in a sluggish little growth, little inflation, do nothing economy this is when they shine. I returned almost 9% last year with little risk and no volatility.
Today is a perfect example.... 7 issues up, 2 down, and 7 unchanged. With stocks and bonds both valued richly, snagging yield trapped past call preferreds with high quality companies disinterested in calling them is a nice play. Many will call their 4-5 % senior debt to reissue, but leave the low hanging high yield fruit to pick. Its been easy money for me anyways. Of course you need to have to be willing to research and prefer income to "TR". It isn't everyones cup of tea, but it works for me.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #677
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Dont feel bad, Jazz, I am scared of both bonds and common stocks, so I own neither. I have almost all my money in preferred stocks of mostly investment grade issues yielding between 6-7%.
Everyone needs to do their own due diligence and what feels comfortable to them, but when I am getting 400 BP's above 10 year and 500 above inflation, in a sluggish little growth, little inflation, do nothing economy this is when they shine. I returned almost 9% last year with little risk and no volatility.
Today is a perfect example.... 7 issues up, 2 down, and 7 unchanged. With stocks and bonds both valued richly, snagging yield trapped past call preferreds with high quality companies disinterested in calling them is a nice play. Many will call their 4-5 % senior debt to reissue, but leave the low hanging high yield fruit to pick. Its been easy money for me anyways. Of course you need to have to be willing to research and prefer income to "TR". It isn't everyones cup of tea, but it works for me.

Yes, I've been following the Preferred Stock thread and appreciate the contributions from you and others. Provided I have sufficient patience, I am very interested in making room in my portfolio for a few of these after I gain some more confidence.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #678
Recycles dryer sheets

According to an article on marketwatch.com, the average investor lost 3.1% in 2015. Looks like my 100% cash portfolio did better than most in 2015 and also 2016 YTD.

This is how much the average American investor made last year - MarketWatch
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #679
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finally looked and it's actually close to 6%, my husband account was more than 5%. If I can believe what I read.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #680
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
Did I read that right? I looked up the Fundx upgrader fund and on their web page gross expense fee 1.99% Yahoo says the same.
I did not make myself clear. I construct my own equity portfolio by following the recommendations of Fundex through their newsletter. (Monthly Upgrader Portfolio) I wouldn’t touch their mutual funds because of the high fees. This has served me well to the tune of about 400 basis points over my index portfolio for the past two years.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote