2015 YTD investment performance thread

YTD 2.78%. Avg yield 3.48%.

Now up YTD 2.94% (rebound in utility/energy holdings). Avg yield down to 3.41%. Will receive 45 dividend payments in March that goes to replenish my cash pile. :flowers:

I do something similar. I take my Quicken YTD return (which is an annualized return) for all my accounts except my online bank account (which is where my withdrawals come from), do the calculation you describe above but then multiply it by 94% to reflect that 6% of my nestegg is in cash. For simplicity I assume my cash earns zero even though it really earns 0.9% annually. I get 2.8% YTD.

You may or may not have seen this but UFB Direct (Bank of the Internet) has been paying 1.25% on savings accounts >$25k since last fall. On the full balance, if you deposit that much or more. They also give you 1 American Airlines mile for every $2 you spend with their checking debit card, which opens up some interesting churn opportunities.

I also have a Discover Bank account btw.

Last edited:
I'm up 2.6% YTD, vs flat at end of January. This is slightly better than the S&P 500 at 2.5%, mainly due to international holdings up 5.6% and real estate up 3.8%. Also, I mainly hold the broader US equity market which was up 2.9%. I have some large-cap, high-dividend ETFs that lag those averages at 1.4% collectively, but haven't paid any dividends yet. Overall, equities are up 3.0%, excluding real estate.

The fixed income portfolio is up 1.7%. This is higher than the broad US bond market at 1.1%, mainly due to positions in high-yield and investment-grade corporate, up 3.0% and 2.3% respectively. Even my small international bond ETF is up 1.6%.

These numbers include the effect of holding 5% cash at Ally earning 0.99%.

I should probably do some rebalancing as the AA is still 5 points high on equity and low on bonds, vs target. Just can't bring myself to buy bonds right now, and stocks appear to have some momentum left. But who knows. I might move 5% equity into a SV fund later this year, along with some bond exposure when/if rates start to go up. But probably won't buy bonds until some point after that when prices look more attractive.

Sold the last of my vested Megacorp stock options. Looking forward to the 15% tax bracket in 2016. :) Deployed the cash to VWO (international, emerging), so my international allocation is getting healthier, but still below target, and probably the main reason I'm lagging all the 60/40 people posting 2.8%.

If you do not check your portfolio so often, kindly ignore this thread instead of making a post to the effect of "what's the point of checking your portfolio so often?" I don't get the point of those who post in this thread only to say "I don't check my portfolio so often" when the thread's subject line is clearly for those who are interested in sharing how they are doing YTD (and hopefully, some can learn from their on-going investment strategy).
Not my thread, but, I don't mind those kinds of comments...they do convey information about an alternative thought process, which I think has some validity. So it might just be a reminder that some folks' strategy is not to bother measuring if you're not going to take action anyway (i.e. not time for a rebalance). Yes, it's counter to the idea of a thread that is talking about performance measuring.

Anyway, up 2.7% as of 2/26 (I happen to have done a post-rebalance pull). And that includes all accounts, even the ones I'm spending out of. I wrote a web page scraper to get my numbers, but still takes a few minutes to do, with all of web the logons. Then I load the result into a couple of spreadsheets, so a few more minutes. I only do IRR on the quarter boundaries because I have a very, very old spreadsheet (the origins of this sheet were originally saved as ".wk3" files). Originally fed by the quarterly paper statements. I've migrated it forward, it works, has all of my old data in it (back to 1987), so it goes on.

Mine is a little complicated because I'm now withdrawing money. I started by calculating the annualized Internal Rate of Return. In other words, what annual rate would a bank account have to pay for me to have what I do now, starting with what I had at 1/1 and given my withdrawals in the meantime?

I then took (1+ the annualized rate)^(1/6) -1 (to see what that would yield over 1/6 of the year) and got 3%. Woo-hoo! Edited to add: that's with a portfolio of 75% equities, 25% fixed income.

And if you can follow that, you're probably another geek.:cool:

I just calculate my after withdrawal return since I withdraw funds on the first of the year.

I don't annualize anything.

2.95% through the first 2 months of the year.

65/35 AA

My utilities holdings are getting creamed this morning. Added to: PNY, AVA, WEC, WR and LNT using some of my Vanguard free trades. As long as they keep raising the dividend, I will keep buying them.

My utilities holdings are getting creamed this morning. Added to: PNY, AVA, WEC, WR and LNT using some of my Vanguard free trades. As long as they keep raising the dividend, I will keep buying them.
How timely a post!

Have been waiting for an entry for SO to complement a position in DUK.

Defense for the coming energy apocalypse, which will bypass the South. :LOL:

How timely a post!

Have been waiting for an entry for SO to complement a position in DUK.

Defense for the coming energy apocalypse, which will bypass the South. :LOL:

Apocalypse, you have to have chocolate, added to my HSY position, they are really taking a beating for moving into beef jerky (something else you need for the apocalypse).

Apocalypse, you have to have chocolate, added to my HSY position, they are really taking a beating for moving into beef jerky (something else you need for the apocalypse).
Chocolate is discretionary, even during the Apocalypse.
SJM is what the perma-Apocalyptic bears have been buying since word got out. No HSY on their (half-eaten) faces as far as I can tell.

Our 401K switched to a new administrator which produces a chart for "Personal Performance" that excludes contributions.

So through 2/27/15: 2.77% Not great but not horrible. I like the GREEN area. Ha :)

401k_2_27_15.JPG

Chocolate is discretionary, even during the Apocalypse.
SJM is what the perma-Apocalyptic bears have been buying since word got out. No HSY on their (half-eaten) faces as far as I can tell.

Hey, when you watch the doom and gloom movies, what do they all want - chocolate. See he is reaching for a chocolate bar..........
still-of-mel-gibson-in-mad-max-1979-large-picture-520x208.jpg
:D and SJM is my 7th largest holding right now (I am hoping Buffett will take them over and will sell into that pop) :greetings10:.

I saw that today. I own several utility preferreds, but none of their common. All of the common issues have had a decent haircut, but the preferreds keep climbing higher. They definitely do not move together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YTD +10.35%. That's the good news. Bad news is toooo much of my NW is in my company retirement plan. OMY.

YTD 2.91%. 8 dividends hit my brokerage account today, redirected 70% of that amount to buy more shares of BAX at the open.

Our 401K switched to a new administrator which produces a chart for "Personal Performance" that excludes contributions.

So through 2/27/15: 2.77% Not great but not horrible. I like the GREEN area. Ha :)

View attachment 21223

Supernova - that looks like Schwab institutional chart. They use Modified Dietz Method instead of IRR. Your performance might be higher than you think :)

Scotty: "I'm givin' her all she's got, Captain! If I push it any harder the whole thing will blow!"
I think that's written on a sign hanging in the office of the Fed Chair. :)

Back
Top Bottom