Join Early Retirement Today
2016 Retirement Software
Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
2016 Retirement Software

So this question looks to have been addressed in the past several years but in the world of software things change pretty quickly for 2016.
So the scenario is this, I love Excel spreadsheets and have built dozens to evaluate, plan, predict, explain, and devour financial numbers over the past ten years. My wonderful wife looks at all the spreadsheets and starts to get dizzy.

I am interested in a software program that is not so much for future retirement planning, but more for retirement monitoring. I plan to FIRE in a few months and looking at life statistics, she may very well out live me. I want to have one place where she can easily log on to or go and be able to see what we have, where we have it, what it is currently worth, in case I am not here. I know that is a little morbid, but it is reality. And if not just for her, even for our grown kids.

So is there a single best software program that can bring all of those different entities say a Vanguard ROTH IRA, another 403(b), a 457, two 401(k)'s, and maybe a pension together in one place, monitor them all, update them all, and be presented in a way that even a lay person can understand it? I see that Quicken 2016 Premier seems to get touted a lot as the best of what is out there, but I know there may be other products or thoughts on this topic.

Thank you in advance for lending me your 2 cents, that's a .02 expense ratio to this group.....

Why yes I am a Boglehead..... I like to keep the money I've worked hard to invest.
Plan to FIRE 3/1/2017
Johnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
I have two things that address this.

1) Quicken - it has all my accounts - including account numbers, current holdings, etc.

2) A word document titled "In case of death" - it has even more information - with passwords, instructions on how to pay the bills (DH has totally abdicated this to me.), what the asset allocation is and how I rebalance 1x year. Withdrawal strategy. Everything.

Both are on my laptop - and periodically I swap out the thumb drive in our safety deposit box with a quicken backup and latest version of this document.

Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I use Quicken and have all of our accounts on it. I can easily update. In terms of retirement monitoring, I think Quicken Lifetime Planner would do the trick for you. In addition to that at the end of each quarter when I reconcile all my accounts I put a pdf of the account statements in a folder on my laptop. Both DW and DD know my Windows and Quicken password so they could easily get the information they need.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
2016 Retirement Software
Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
2016 Retirement Software

Otar Retirement Calculator. Well worth the money....

Get that and his book "unveiling the retirement myth." Here under books:

I have no affiliation but the best I have found for decumulation planning. It is what I use....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FIREd at 46, 8/31/11
REattempt is offline   Reply With Quote