Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes the large value + intermediate bonds portfolio has done well over the last 6 months. Better then mine which has more diversification.

I have yet to find a portfolio combination that is not beaten some percentage of the time. I have a benchmark test for myself that compares my portfolio to one based on Wellington and another with just index funds. Mine beats these benchmarks 67% of the time in the last 23 years of rolling 12 month returns. Right now it is not the winner.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #442
gone traveling

I must be the only one with YTD return which is roughly in line with S&P 500.

Lot of very smart/lucky people here.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm up about 4.5% with a 50/50 equity/bond allocation. My 50% bond fraction has outperformed my 50% stock fraction.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #444
Give me a forum ...

It's not me, it's my 1% AUM wealth manager dude that did it.

Blame him, it's his fault.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #445
Recycles dryer sheets

IRR thru 6/30 = 4.7% (80% equities)
523HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #446
Give me a forum ...

Up 2.67% with roughly 42% stock/58% bonds.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #447

As of today's semi-annual review, 3.89% for the year. 85/15, with 70/30 Domestic/Int'l stock split. Mostly index funds for now.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Sat, Jul 2, 2016*at 7:08 PM
Dividends
Yield On Cost 4.44%
Current Yield 3.73%
Wellington (VWENX)2.61%
Performance Gain YTD 11.41%
Wellington (VWENX)5.06%
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yes! It's amazing how a site with so many index investors has so many reporting beating the indexes.

I think many of us have balanced portfolio with significant percentage in bond funds. Bond funds have outperformed the S&P 500 index YDT. I think most of us with balanced portfolio may be outperforming the market thanks to the diversification.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #450
Give me a forum ...

I never have more than 5% in bonds. With 60% equities (1/3 of that in international) and 35% in low-yielding cash, my stocks have to work hard for the portfolio to catch up with the index.

Darn, bonds have not crashed as I feared. They do however go up and down as the threat of interest rate hike by the Fed flows and ebbs. I should learn to go in/out of them to pick up a few more pennies.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #451
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am surprised he would have emerging market bonds or municipals (except for taxable ports) in his buy and hold model portfolio.

Any how, my thinking was skewed due my ports having a large cash position, and that made me attribute some of the strong results reported in the thread to brilliance or timing which clearly is not the case, so can easily see how some folks could have double digit performance. While I like dry powder, I should probably cap it at 10-15% in the future
I don't have any bonds. I'm also a little loose on some of the others, but the basics for me are to over weigh value and small cap. Luck plays a role too. I was 50% cash as Brexit hit. I gambled on waiting until the vote outcome, but the vote was called so close but then breaking on the last day seemed wrong. I jumped all in the second day. That added ~2% (INDY, FCOM, IJR, IJS, FENY, FREL, IVE and VTSMX).
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #452
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm up 10%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
It's not me, it's my 1% AUM wealth manager dude that did it.

Blame him, it's his fault.
Man, what's his track record?

If he did it for you every year, you should be able to buy all of us lobsters FedEx'ed from Maine (if we are nice to you that is).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I think many of us have balanced portfolio with significant percentage in bond funds. Bond funds have outperformed the S&P 500 index YDT. I think most of us with balanced portfolio may be outperforming the market thanks to the diversification.
It depends on your international equity exposure. If you have even a modest chunk in international stocks that may be enough to cancel out the bond outperformance.

I have to say the YTD numbers on VWINX are just jaw-dropping. Heavy bond and US centric large value tilt clearly was an advantage for the moment.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #454
Moderator Emeritus

DW's old 401K portfolio that we rolled to a Schwab IRA when she retired a few years ago (5?) is up 11.4% YTD.

The portfolio is small (less than $75K) and consists of 15 % cash and dividend stocks that include, MO, T, GE, ABBV, AAPL, and ABT in equal amounts. This has done surprisingly well since she started with $38K and has taken out $2 - $3K per year to help granddaughter while in college.

My accounts include:

Vanguard Solo 401K, IRA and taxable brokerage - up 6.4% YTD (div, REIT, health care index funds, and also heavy in Wellington and Wellsley)

Schwab IRA - SCHD, SCHF, MO, T, EPD, AAPL, CHSCM, 15% cash - up 4% YTD - I pull combined RMDs from this yearly.

PenFed IRA - 100% 3% CDs

I own only about 5% emerging market/international securities in this mix. Good thing.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #455

Up 6.6% total return YTD. 100% CDN dividend paying equities. All taxable. Was about 9% until Brexit.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Wow, a lot of good YTD gains. Most of us are beating the market. I am impressed. Let's keep it up.
Agree. I have outperformed the market by an average of 3-4% per year since I started investing in 1997. Wasn't difficult just had to be very lucky. Downside is I have never been sufficiently diversified. For the first 15 years basically just owned CDN banks. More diversified now but still not enough. Certainly wouldn't recommend this approach and in fact hesitate to even mention it. Better lucky than smart any day!!
Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #457
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I was 50% cash as Brexit hit. I gambled on waiting until the vote outcome, but the vote was called so close but then breaking on the last day seemed wrong. I jumped all in the second day. That added ~2% (INDY, FCOM, IJR, IJS, FENY, FREL, IVE and VTSMX).
Good move. I waited a bit too long as I was anticipating a few more days of the downdraft.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #458
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. I have outperformed the market by an average of 3-4% per year since I started investing in 1997. Wasn't difficult just had to be very lucky. Downside is I have never been sufficiently diversified. For the first 15 years basically just owned CDN banks. More diversified now but still not enough. Certainly wouldn't recommend this approach and in fact hesitate to even mention it. Better lucky than smart any day!!
You might look at XIU for easy CDN diversification with low MER fee.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You might look at XIU for easy CDN diversification with low MER fee.
Hard to switch as cap gains are high 7 figures. Have been switching out a bit at a time, paying the tax while preserving div cash flow.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I have been lucky too, at times. But it's just not consistent.