2016 YTD investment performance thread

Quicken says 8.71% here. Amazing how many of the posters at this forum cluster so closely. The Early Retirement.org portfolio at work!

Yet, I bet my portfolio does not look anything like yours. I am no indexer, and have loads of EM, biotechs, mining, energy, utilities, etc..., but no financials, and not much high tech.

Yet, I bet my portfolio does not look anything like yours. I am no indexer, and have loads of EM, biotechs, mining, energy, utilities, etc..., but no financials, and not much high tech.
Interesting in mine, very little biotechs, mining, energy, more in financial. I guess all roads lead to Rome...

Up 10.5%.

All of us are winners in 2016, bad January and all. I managed to "save" one year worth of retirement budget in the process. Not bad for the 1st year of retirement. I've budgeted to spend 5%, and gain 6% from investment. I ended up spending less than 4% vs 10.5% investment return.

8.25% XIRR

Cashed out a chunk in readiness for house closing in January (hopefully). AA now at 56% equities.

All investable asset - 8.15%. Canadian stocks were the winner (several banks, telecom and energy) - at 19.83%, but which is only about 9.25% of my investable asset...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Here are the 2016 returns of some roughly 60/40 portfolios reported by morningstar.com:

sqte7p.jpg

Key:
VSMGX Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (it is 60/40)
VTWNX Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 (it is 57/43)
VBIAX Vanguard Balanced Index (60/40, has no foreign nor international stocks)
DGSIX DFA Global Allocation I 60/40
VWENX Vanguard Wellington (it is 66/34)
VTTVX Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 (it is 65/35)

Portfolios tilted to small-caps and/or value equities and away from foreign equities have done quite well this year.

Here are the 2016 returns of some roughly 60/40 portfolios reported by morningstar.com:

sqte7p.jpg

Key:
VSMGX Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (it is 60/40)
VTWNX Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 (it is 57/43)
VBIAX Vanguard Balanced Index (60/40, has no foreign nor international stocks)
DGSIX DFA Global Allocation I 60/40
VWENX Vanguard Wellington (it is 66/34)
VTTVX Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 (it is 65/35)

Portfolios tilted to small-caps and/or value equities and away from foreign equities have done quite well this year.

A couple more balanced funds worth mentioning. These both have a large value tilt:
DODBX - 16.56% YTD, around 68/32
OAKBX - 10.97% YTD, around 63/37

Last edited:
55%/42.5%/2.5% Stk/Bnd/Csh

7.0% - Overall Performance.
11.2% - Increased Value of all accounts (counting contributions)

Some of the sub-accounts
--------------------------

10.6% - 401k: Short term, Small/Mid, Developed Int'l, Emerging Mkts

4.9% - 401k: AF New World R4 RNWEX

7.3% - 403b: Guaranteed Int, S&P500

7.8% - SEP-IRA: Total Int'l, Total BND, Total US Index, Hi-Yield, VGENX

Last edited:
Final results for my 100% Canadian equity portfolio.
IRR.
1 yr 26.7%.
3yr 13.1%.
5 yr. 15.5%.
10 yr 10.2%.

These results are quite a bit better than the TSX benchmark which had a 5 yr total annual return of only about 5%. Couldn't find the TSX 10 year return. My best year since 2009.

Also actually underspent the 2016 budget. First time I think.

Last edited:
+10.16% for 2016

Looks like the retirement fund gained 7.83% for 2016. 53% equity exposure.

I'm pretty pleased. My balanced fund benchmarks did better, but they have higher stock allocations and are more concentrated in large cap value, with little foreign exposure. Really, they aren't valuable as benchmarks anymore.

I had lower equity exposure than VTWNX listed above and beat it handily. I have a pretty healthy small cap exposure which most balanced funds lack.

This year our total return was negative mostly due to a large drop in 2 major pharmaceutical companies we hold (like Gilead went down over 28%, started the year at $100.3, ended at $71.61). Yet in previous 5 years this stock was main source of high return. I hope the next year it may stabilize.

Our return for 2016: 7.5% return on 40% stocks/37% bonds/23% cash.

Final tally +8.47% on what is nominally a 50/45/5 AA but currently 51/38/12. Looks like January will be rebalancing time.

Return YTD ~ 12.3%
Asset allocation = 75% equities / 25% fixed assets

In distribution phase after early retirement in 2015, no income from job, pension, rental or social security at this point)

YTD return calculation is from the Four Pillars of Investing and is same as Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance. Includes entire portfolio (investments, bonds, cash holdings) and adjusts for inflow/outgo.

Energy and small cap value were biggest winners. Bond holding and International Mutual Funds were at the other end.

It's been a good year for investments, Happy New Year to all.

8.2% Started the year at 50/40/7/3. With the 7 being RE funds. Ended at 57/30/7/6 cash increased due to tax loss harvesting from bond funds.

6.8%, all-in, average balance spend adjusted. Replaced estimated annual spend with real annual spend, which I undershot, so took me down a couple of tenths from my earlier reporting.

I lightened-up US large equities, so can't report as large of a gain as some of you here. But I'm ok with getting in the ballpark of some of those morningstar examples. And it actually goes up to 7.4% if I include the honkin' big IRS check I'll be getting.

Last edited:
+8.88% XIRR on an 80/20 portfolio. International was a drag again this year. Slightly better than my benchmark fund, which is +8.33% (VASGX). I have a higher tilt towards international, plus small caps and REITs.

I'm happy with the return in isolation, but underwhelmed when comparing with more US centric portfolios.

Edit to add: tracking against VASGX and taking into account cashflows, VASGX returned +8.52%.

Last edited:
Not too bad w/ 4.5% return on a very conservative allocation.
The pillow money was great since the dollar was up ~ 20% against the Mexican peso. My mother got a nice raise from this:D:D

I didn't fair well compared to most here but just did mine for the year.

+4.2% on a 67/15/18 portfolio. The 18% is in CD's stair stepped and not making a lot. My WR was .5% for 2016 and I see this increasing for 2017. I'm happy and my hope is to at least have a 1.5% return on my investments each year. That will be just above my spending expenses. Anything over that I will be very happy.
My plan is to not have to sell investments till I have too with RMD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom