Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not going to look.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Me neither. 👀 to scared

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Starting the year as I ended last, all cash at the moment.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 4%... great time to be buying
Old 01-08-2016, 03:48 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Apologies to all. When I retired on 12/31/15, the market must have thought I said "Whee!"...

Down about 1.5% thus far.

I'm with ya, Bro. 2016 will be the first year I draw on assets rather than add to them....long haul, my friend...plenty of decades left...

now...where are those dryer sheets I threw out?.....
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I am making no changes to 100% equities. I will probably add to SCHD and mid cap/small cap index as a year goes on.

I have no idea what to expect this year so I expect nothing.

Hey eta. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind and just in generalities (is that a word?) as I am curious how you generate an income stream being 100% invested in equities? Are you still working? If retired.....do you have a pension, SS, income from rentals and then dividends from your equities to satisfy your expenses? OR perhaps you use a SWR of x% of your equities? Have you always been 100% equities?

I ask because I am down $82,000 in my portfolio for YTD 2016 ( first 4 days of the new year!!!) and my AA is 50/50 equities/fixed income. I can't imagine the swings being 100% equities but good for you!
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLoco View Post
Hey eta. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind and just in generalities (is that a word?) as I am curious how you generate an income stream being 100% invested in equities? Are you still working? If retired.....do you have a pension, SS, income from rentals and then dividends from your equities to satisfy your expenses? OR perhaps you use a SWR of x% of your equities? Have you always been 100% equities?

I ask because I am down $82,000 in my portfolio for YTD 2016 ( first 4 days of the new year!!!) and my AA is 50/50 equities/fixed income. I can't imagine the swings being 100% equities but good for you!
Yes, when you are down the cost of a new Honda Accord each trading day, it does not take long for it to add up to real money.

By the way, eta2020 means "Estimated Time of Arrival = 2020", I believe. So he still has fresh money to put in the stock market, while people like me can only rebalance from whatever cash we have on hand.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, when you are down the cost of a new Honda Accord each trading day, it does not take long for it to add up to real money.

By the way, eta2020 means "Estimated Time of Arrival = 2020", I believe. So he still has fresh money to put in the stock market, while people like me can only rebalance from whatever cash we have on hand.
That is kind of dangerous thinking ... putting your losses in $ terms. I'd prefer %'s to ease the pain.

Why not look on the bright side? Like your best equity fund this week. Mine was VINEX (small cap international) with a stunnning performance of -5.1%.

I remember back in the 1990's when a guy who had a ton of company stock mentioned that on a bad day he lost one Mercedes. Always wonder how he did in the tech meltdown ... lost a lot of Mercedes if he didn't diversify.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

OK, if you prefer to talk percentage, from the top of the market in March 2000 to the bottom of Oct 2002, I lost 44% of my investable assets. That was a small fleet of Mercedes. Oop, I am not supposed to think like that.

Anyway, at the same time, my father was entering the final phase of his terminal disease. And the small company I co-founded with a couple of friends was going belly up, and I had been working just to pay rent, utility, and insurance.

So, what did I do? I took off to Europe to enjoy the Carnival in Nice, and also in Venice. I needed to clear the cobweb off my mind, before I came back to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #30

Quote:
OK, if you prefer to talk percentage, from the top of the market in March 2000 to the bottom of Oct 2002, I lost 44% of my investable assets. That was a small fleet of Mercedes. Oop, I am not supposed to think like that.

Anyway, at the same time, my father was entering the final phase of his terminal disease. And the small company I co-founded with a couple of friends was going belly up, and I had been working just to pay rent, utility, and insurance.

So, what did I do? I took off to Europe to enjoy the Carnival in Nice, and also in Venice. I needed to clear the cobweb off my mind, before I came back to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.
Wow, that took some cojones. Glad to read you came out OK on the other side.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yes, by jettisoning the tech stocks and buying material and natural resource stocks, I recover the 2000 high watermark in Oct 2004. But I was never 100% in any stock or sector, and also always held 20% cash.

By Oct 2005, I was confident enough in my new consulting work and the market gain that I bought the 2nd home.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Yes, by jettisoning the tech stocks and buying material and natural resource stocks, I recover the 2000 high watermark in Oct 2004. But I was never 100% in any stock or sector, and also always held 20% cash.

By Oct 2005, I was confident enough in my new consulting work and the market gain that I bought the 2nd home.

I saw one pundit today suggesting you repeat that, i.e., sell tech again and buying material and resource. Have you thought about it?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

-3.27% YTD - in just one week. OUCH!!!!

That is a really depressing start to the week. And that was after my annual withdrawal, so arrrrgh!!!

That is almost as much as my withdrawal. If I didn't know any better, I'd think I doubled down on my withdrawal!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

That is quiet right.... Arrggh!

About 9% off the recent highs and very near the sharp September lows. Bottom fishing delight? Let's see, if I put 5% into SPY and it goes up 5%, l'll have an extra 0.25%. Not all that exciting. Except if I put it in $ terms it might tempt me. Could then brag to DW and take her out somewhere.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

A gain of 0.25% would pay for a nice vacation, no?

Oh, but then one should remember that 5% loss that he has not recovered. Oops.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yes, but I was thinking of doing this last week. Keep proving to myself I don't have a clue.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
-3.27% YTD - in just one week. OUCH!!!!

That is a really depressing start to the week. And that was after my annual withdrawal, so arrrrgh!!!

That is almost as much as my withdrawal. If I didn't know any better, I'd think I doubled down on my withdrawal!
I feel your pain. I am down 3.24% YTD... stocks down about 5% and fixed income slightly higher.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #38

I'm not going to look...reading this thread's values tells me the news won't be good. A little better since my course change in October, but I'm sure still bad. How have peoples' international equities holding up?
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
... How have peoples' international equities holding up?
Badly. International MFs and ETFs are down -6% to -8%.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

While all of our main accounts are down, the junk bonds I have which pay 67.5% are actually up this week.

They were 18.5% of par and today are 20% of par. 12.5% coupon.

They pay 1.2% a week, which is just slightly less than Vinny at the local pawn store charges.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote